WIRING

Jake
Unregistered guest
OK, I'M new to car audio and i not sure if this is possible.
would i be able to wire 1 Audiobahn AW1200Q
12" Dual 4-ohm Voice Coil Component Subwoofer to 1 A8002T - Audiobahn 2 Ch 800 Watt Amplifier
specs for amp =
200 X 2 at 4 Ohms Stereo
400 x 2 at 2 Ohms Stereo
800 x 1 at 4 Ohms Mono
also , if that's possible, could i use 4 guage wire? (Scosche EFX 800-Watt Amp Wiring Kit)

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 386
you'll have to bridge the amp and wire the sub in series for an 8 Ohm load.
the sub will get 400 watts.

at least, if that's really the RMS rating of the amplifier, which I sort of doubt for a class-AB.

jake
Unregistered guest
thx glasswolf, i'm thinking of buying the A8000t instead, u can hook it up 800 watts @ 2ohms mono. If i wired both 4ohm voice coils parallel it would present the amp with a 2 ohm load right?

Jake
Unregistered guest
would a 4 guage wire kit be good?

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 392
yes 4AWG is sufficient, and yes parallel wiring the coils will be 2 Ohms, however on a bridged amplifier, that'd see half the real load, which is why amps, when bridged, are only 4 Ohm stable for the most part.
On a mono sub amp, 2 Ohms is ideal.

jake
Unregistered guest
thanks again glasswolf, u know your stuff

tim miller
Unregistered guest
i would like to know how to hook up my 4 channel 400 watt vr3 amp and my 12" 500 watt lightning audio sub to my car stereo. Right now i have my sub directly hooked up to my car stereo. i know how to get power into my amp but dont know what wires go to where when it comes to hooking my car stereo to it (RCA cables). thanx in advance

jay amaro
Unregistered guest
jake also if you have the sub and the amp currently you dont have to use both voice coils and you can bridge the amp and send your 800 watts into 4 ohm into one side of the sub.
the real beauty of a dvc sub is you have the option of going with your single rated voice coil or using both in series or parallel to achieve a higher or lower rating that what i would consider your static load to be such as in your case 4 ohm.
the best way to look at it is you have a 4 ohm sub to start with but its like having 2 subs so as with a single dvc or 2 physically seperate subs you can change configurations to get the 2 ohm or 8 ohm but last but not least either voice coil whichever you choose will at 4 ohms play just fine all by itself and since you do not have 2 seperate speaker cones the only added benefit you gain from a dvc is not more actual bass due to the fact whether using one of both voice coils the speaker cone surface area is still the same and cannot change only the power handling abilities can be changed by a dvc.
if your sub can take 800 watts into 4 ohms then either voice coil can handle that and that would work fine. now your particular sub is rated at 700 watts so it can do it provided its carefully done and it should be just fine especially if you dont over drive the sub as for me i never can predict what a user will do so i always stay safely away from pushing it close like that but your 700 watt rating is for that sub no matter what ohm load its running in and the benefit is seen actually by the amp not the sub to changing ohm loads. in otherwords theres nothing you can do to change the rms rating of any speaker except drop the wattage to it.
lastly having a dvc means you can use one or both and if using both its series or parallel you have 3 options to choose from.

tim all you have to do is run your left and right rca's into the amp and its ready to go and then depending on which channels you wire the sub into or if you have a bridge switch or button then use it if you need to do that.
thats about it pretty much.
and use the xover on you amp also so you dont send full range into the sub but thats about it.
if you got power to the amp your about halfway there.
imnot familiar with that amp but if its a 4 ch 400 watt amp then thats 100 into 4 at 4 ohm im sure and if it bridges then it may go 2 but not mono but typically mono is close to combined left and right but it looks like your within your speakers rating so id say your fine there too.
jay

tim miller
Unregistered guest
thanx jay, But I dont think my amp works so im gonna take it back and see if a different one works, but again, thanx
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us