JBL 1200.1 and subsonic filter for ported enclosures?

Username: Tikolx333

Post Number: 36
"JBL has done it, they have combined the best of both worlds, they made an amp that produces a significant ammount of clean power for a price that we can afford. This amp is rated at 1200 watts at 12.5 volts, therefore when your running 14.4 volts, expect to get more then 1200. If this is your only amp in your system then 4 guage wire will work, but I'd recommend 0 guage if you have more then one amp. This is an amazing amp, does what is says it will do, PRODUCE POWER. It also manages to stay very cool for a class D amp that produces 1200+ watts, and for the price it cannot be beat. The only thing it lacks is a subsonic filter for ported enclosures."

Hey it looks like Iam going to be replacing my MTX 81000 with the JBL 1200.1 but I read this review and well I have a ported enclosure so what the hell is a subsonic filter and how will that effect my 9512?

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 343
you can get an RCA level SSF to add in-line before the amplifier.
a subsonic filter eliminates frequencies below a certain point. usually 16-20Hz.
The reason for this is to block frequencies below that of the enclosure's port frequency to avoid loss of damping for the sub, which can damage the speaker when it tries to play frequencies below that of the tuned ports.
an add-on filter shouldn't be more than a few bucks anyway.
If you use a ported box, it's a good idea to have one.

Username: Tikolx333

Post Number: 39
Can you show me some websites or some product names and model numbers?

Username: Chippa

Post Number: 24
Is a SSF needed if a sealed box is used?? Just a safety measure maybe??

Post Number: 360
nope
a sealed box will play flat to about 9Hz.
you're fine with sealed.

Tiggy, models and sites for what? filters?
I just build my own, but partsexpress.com probably sells them.
it's just a little inline RCA deal. plugs in and filters like a high-pass filter, but the cut off for a SSF is usually a little below that of your port frequency, which in most cases is aboud 35-40Hz.
20Hz is fine for a SSF.

ThatGuyYouKnow
Unregistered guest
Or if you spend too much time in front of your computer screen and love audio like me, then maybe you'd want to filter the music before hand... thiers audio filters out thier that will get rid of those low frequncy's but if ur not into that or have no clue what i am talkin about go with GlassWolf on this.

Post Number: 372
nice idea, but it won't help for harmonics, or sources like the radio :-)

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us