HELP PLEASE, 2 12's in a Ford Ranger

Username: Creampuff

Post Number: 1
I have 2 audiobahn 12's with a 1800 watt rockford fosgate amp... I am looking for a truck, and I was wondering if I can fit this in a regular cab truck, such as a ford ranger, with it still sounding good. Will I get the maximum bass out of my subs if I put them in this small space? If worst comes to worst, I could get a extended cab truck, but Id rather not... any help would be appreciated,,, thanks!

Anonymous

dont get an actual car to match your sound system ...lol thats just silly get a sound system to match your car sell them shits if it wont fit the car you want... anyway it should work but it will be really loud my friend has 2 10's in his truck ... there right behind each seat

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 270
good advice.
trucks suck anyway :-) heheh
so does audiobahn and RF though. sell those and buy some better stuff with the money.
you'll be glad ya did.

Post Number: 2
ok your advice was lame, someone with some knowledge please help...
As for you GlassWolf, I think you have too much time on your hands... I have noticed that you post on just about every thread of this forum...
Also, I know for a fact that I want a Ford Ranger, I am just debating over a regular cab or an extended cab! Someone with some sense or knowledge of this please help! Thanks

Post Number: 277
Aside from being a Ford, regular cab trucks are a lousy choice for an audio system. You're not going to get around that fact with your attempts at commentary on other peoples' time management.
Your hardware is also second rate at best, which is your own fault for not being bright enough to research what you bought before wasting your money.
As for my free time, it doesn't take very long at all to answer questions that any child should be able to research for themselves given a few minutes and a search engine.

yes the subs will fit, if you build a custom box to hold them, and you can handle having the seat a few clicks forward.
you are facing two problems though.
1: your ranger's alternator will NEVER handle 1800wRMS of current draw. you'll clip that amp, and end up frying the subs which leads to problem 2:
2: those audiobahn subs will never survive 900wRMS each and last very long. I just saw a pair on a GOOD amp that roasted the coils with 600wRMS each.
you may also encouter excursion issues against the back of the ranger seats/bench.
go buy a tape measure and do some calculating for yourself.

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the information Glasswolf...
But what makes you think my stuff is second rate?? Is it because I don't have what you have? Maybe I should have gotten some pyramid, sony xplode, or maybe some legacy to make you happy. Yes my stuff isnt the best, but no it isnt the worst, and I think for the price, it was the best I can do. My subs are 700 watts RMS each, and my amp is 1800 watts peak, not RMS, therefore I think I am safe of not blowing my speakers. Also, Im not planning on running my amp at full power at all. My friend has 4 audiobahn 10s in an extended cab toyota t100, and they sound great! Sure I'd rather have a toyota tacoma, or a tundra, but a Ranger is cheap, and I am far from wealthy. Its what I can afford that I am looking for, not for what I desire. So pretty much your saying, my speakers suck, my choice of truck sucks, my amp sucks, but I should get an extended cab if anything??

Post Number: 287
The RF amp really isn't so bad, but it's what I consider middle of the road.
RF isn't the high end performer it used to be in the car audio industry. You could do a lot worse there.
Audiobahn.. gah. I've torn apart quite a few of their products, and they have cheap, lousy build quality. They also have rather crappy business practices that result in having their shiny chrome plated trash shoved down the throats of we, the consumers. Don't get me started on that.
Anyway, those subs should do alright for now. A guy I know just fried two audiobahns with a JBL 600.1, and he had that amp properly adjusted, and the subs were rated to take more than that.
Don't even joke about buying Sony *laugh* that's like saying you're going to go play in traffic. It'd be about as productive, too. heh That stuff is total crap. I rarely see anything from them last a year.
Ah! ok, amp is 1800w peak. in that case it should be ok. reember, try to stick with RMS ratings for products. peak is useless.
really.
For subs, if you want a good alternative, look at Adire Audio or Elemental Designs.
www.adireaudio.com
www.edesignaudio.com
affordable, well made, and hard hitting, as well as good for SQ, and not power hungry (another issue with Audiobahn. they suck up power, and are inefficient in design.)
As for the ranger.. I'm just really anti-Ford.
that's not your fault. It's Ford's.
They make lousy, unreliable vehicles, although their trucks are better than their cars. If you do get that Ranger, I hope it holds up for you. I'd suggest a GM instead though, personally. The GMs tend to have better speaker locations and sizes as well as better engines. Every experience I've had with Ford has been poor, aside from a Festiva I owned, which was only reliable because it was made for Ford by KIA.
anyway best of luck in whatever you end up getting.
There is good stuff out there for cheap.
for components, CDT is good, too.

Username: Motoman22

Post Number: 17
"So pretty much your saying, my speakers suck, my choice of truck sucks, my amp sucks,..." sure sounds like it to me. How rude!

Derek, I had a 2000 Ranger extended cab and there's plenty of room in there. If you get a regular cab, you can always do a cut-through and put the subs in the bed. It's not a crazy idea, works well actually. I did not like the truck itself, very bumpy ride but it never let me down and it had minimal interior noise. The factory head unit was very nice (CD and Cassette) but didn't decode MP3 files ... bummer.

Here's another view from a seasoned installer and electrical engineer, you can use what you have together just fine. Yes, the amp is a lot of power for those subs but you can turn the gain down and not worry so much (there is a variable gain, it does NOT have to be set to max.)

Audiobahn is good stuff, I have driven them extremely hard without failure but they are not very efficient so you'll be glad you have that big amp. Just make sure the enclosure is the proper size and well built, go easy on the tuning and keep your ears open for distortion.

You will certainly want to make sure you have 4ga (2ga is better) power & ground cable and seriously consider an alternator upgrade. You don't have to do this right away but you need to keep the power consumption down until you have enough on tap to keep up. I explain this topic in the Accessories section, look for 'Capacitors, alternators, batteries and myths.' Give it a read, may find it helpful.

I'm a Ford guy myself and will be forever. The last two I owned ran fine when I sold them with well over 225,000 miles on them and my current commuter car (1993 Thunderbird LX 5.0) has 197,000 and still running strong. Never did a transmission or even opened up the engine. 150 miles a day is a workout in any car but the Fords hold up. The last two GM models I owned fell apart (literally) as I drove. The Beretta went through three computers in one year, and the Malibu's interior trim started falling off at 40k miles. GM refused to warranty it, even the rear defroster button that broke the FIRST time I touched it.

I guess we all have different experiences but I'm totally sold on Ford quality and workmanship.

Post Number: 304
I find it hard to believe you're an EE or a professional installer with some of the advice you've been giving here so far.
I'm pretty sure you've never had a physics class in your life... but I guess that's the wonderful thing about the internet. you can tell people anything you like, and there's no way to disprove it.

Sorry if you find that to be rude as well, but I dislike the spreading of disinformation, and trolling. I haven't yet decided if you're just misled on some things, or if you're purposely trying to mess with people.

Username: Redskin

Post Number: 13
Surely this is the time of good will and peace on earth? Why spoil xmas for all us sensitive types by arguing so much.

Ken
Unregistered guest
I have a 97 ford ranger extended cab with 3 jl 12 w6 in one box and 3 spl2-820 amps this is very setup is sweet it pound the s#it out of any one who rides in it yet has good sq!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us