One sub for bass drum one sub for bassline?

Username: Paperbag

Post Number: 1
I have a question for anyone who can answer this, particularly Glasswolf. I was wondering if it is possible to have a 2 sub system in a car, but i have them crossed over so one sub takes all the bass drum kicks from the music, and the other just does most of the bassline. Now i know that in some music, the bass drum is at higher frequencies than other songs, so unless every song i play has the really low freq. bass drum kicks, that sub wont always hit those notes. listen to track 8 on Morning View by Incubus. It has a real deep, steady bassline, but the bass drum tries to play through that and it just doesnt work. a song like this would really benefit from a sub set up like i mentioned. Any answers?

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 209
you can cross over subs to cover different frequencies, or have a sub(s), and midbass drivers.
you can't specify what actual instruments will go where though since the music in cars, namely radio, CD, etc are two channel, single track data sources. Even DVD with 6 channels won't help in this case.
remember though, ideally, if you have two subs you want them to be the same subs, getting the same signal so that they work together to move more air in unison. If you want something dedicated to higher frequency bass, you go with midbass drivers, usually in the 6.5-8" range that are designed for that (not an 8" sub, but 8" midbass driver. big difference in design and use) as are often seen in 3-way component systems like the DynAudio System 360.
then the midbass speakers take things from about 80Hz up to around 500Hz and your midranges will cover above that.
rule of thumb for a good system.. keep it simple.
the more complex you get, and the more you add things in, the more chances you have to screw things up in the end.

Username: Paperbag

Post Number: 3
thanks for the help, Glasswolf. Right now i have the 10W7 (which sounds beautiful by the way) and does an outstanding job taking care of the low freq range, and i have jl 5.25 components in my doors. Unfortunately, they dont hit all the midbass notes that i want them too. I want to get 6.5" if i can. I really notice a lack in midbass in a lot of music i listen to because their only 5.25. i had heard a friend of mine mention the crossing over of the subs, but i figured it wouldnt really work to well.

Post Number: 214
you can go with larger components, or try to alter the crossover point for the sub.. but you don't want it to roll off to high or it'll sound muddy

Unregistered guest
glass wolf what settings do u recommend for 10's subs from my crossover 45,80,120 bass and frequency at 50,90,or 180 i think that's whats on my crossover and my crossover don't have a sub gain on it please give me some advice i'm new at this email me at bigd596@hotmail.com thanks or tell me here

Post Number: 714
set the crossover for 80Hz.
should be fine
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us