Ported box for Audiobahn AW1208T

Username: Its_bacon12

Post Number: 12
ok...i just got an audiobahn aw1208t, it handles 1500w rms and 3000w peak...it requires about a 2.3 cubic foot ported box and i dont really feel like spending $400 for a custom box made to fit my car so ill make one, but i need a few guidelines first...where can i get the carpeting, what kind of wood should i use? i know the ports i need (4x7.25) but im kinda stuck here-

any help is appreciated :-)

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 194
Where are you tuning those ports?
I'd recommend 34Hz ideally, if you want hard hitting, deep bass. Tuning to 40 or 45Hz is high, and will sound boomy although it may be slightly louder since it'll be closer to the vehicle's res freq.
Anyway, to answer you, partsexpress.com for carpet, and use 3/4" MDF from any lumber store or Home Depot type place.
It's about $25/sheet.
use 1.5" length, coarse-thread drywall screws, and liquid nails to join box panels.
use proper speaker terminals and handles if desired so you can keep the box airtight everywhere but the actual ports.
measure twice, cut once. This is good advice. Trust me.
as for box volume, remember when you calculate the dimensions, you need to add in the displacement of both your subs, and the ports.. so you'll need to know some basic geometry to calculate volume for a cylinder, and add in the displacement (volume) of the drivers from the T-S parameters that came with the subs on a sheet of paper or on the company's website in PDF format.
As for the box volume and port tuning, here's your specs for 34Hz tuning:

Box net volume (after port and driver displacement) 2.5cu ft per sub
port size: 4" inner diameter x 8.9" length
port displacement: 0.065ft^3
# of ports: 1 per sub

you can calculate box dimensions based on your car.
have fun!

Post Number: 14
thanks man, you really are an awesome guy cuz i know alot of people who woulda been like screw urself....

anyways, thanks alot for ur advice and i willt ake it into consideration, the measure twice cut once idea :-)

Post Number: 15
and one more thing, how do you tune them to 34 Hz? just asking another two cents of your glasswolf

thanks!

Post Number: 16
im sorry i retract my last statement glasswolf i didnt read ur last part heh, thanks anywez

Post Number: 17
do you know where i could get handles for a box?

Post Number: 200
ehh you showed some effort on finding out some info for yourself before you asked.
I ignore the "draw me the plans for free!" posts because those folks are clueless. They need to understand that asking someone to design a box for a car for free is like asking a mechanic to rebuild your car's transmission for free or something. It won't happen unless you happen to be sleeping with the mechanic or something heheh
Anyway yeah all of the calculators you need for box design on the easier stuff liek yours can be found at the following site, which makes it easier than doing all on paper:
http://www.bcae1.com/spboxnew2.htm
try:
http://www.partsexpress.com/
for the handles, and flanged port tubes you can cut to length yourself, along with the speaker box binding posts and carpet. everything you need to make it look professional.
Use 3M spray adhesive for the carpeting. It comes in a black can with red and white lettering if I recall, I think it's called Super77.
I'd have to go down to the workroom to verify that, but it's great stuff for automotive carpet.

Post Number: 20
i came up with these two measurements for boxes, using a 3/4" material to build with -

------box1:
Height -----------14"
Width -----------22.5"
Depth -----------18"

------box2: triangular-ish
D1 ----20"
D2 ----24"
Width ----16"
Height ----16"

both come out to be roughly 2.5 cubic feet net volume and about 2.3 cubic feet interior, then place the port kiddy corner with the sub, like top right above it or below it depending on which box

tell me what you think: i was going to skip the handles cuz its gonna be too much of a pain in the a$$ but imah get some gold plated banana plugs in a decent terminal with some black laytex carpeting

Post Number: 206
you don't need the handles.. that was just an idea.
you can even inset the sides of the box a bit, leaving a lip all the way around the sides. those work as handles, too.. built right into the design heh

I like box 2 better actually. you want to angle the back of the box anyway to avoid standing wave reflection.
box 2 is similar in shape to what I used for my older car's two twelves.
if you wish, you can also line the ported enclosure with a sheet of polyfill.
you can get it at wal-mart for about $4.
that should extend the LF response a bit for ya too.

Post Number: 21
alright, i got 2 24x48 inch sheets of 3/4" MDF and liquid nails and the box wire connector thingy heh now i need a 4x10 inch port to cut and to assemble it and get that adhesive spray for the carpeting and the carpet itself, how much would you reccomend i get for this box?

again thanks fer helpin me out so much :-)

Post Number: 224
you can figure surface area of the box for material usage. get at least an extra 10% beyond raw surface area.

4" diameter ports you can buy and cut to length from partsexpress, or if you really want to be cheap, use 4" PVC tube from Home Depot.

Post Number: 22
alrighty, i got everything i need - handles, dual flared port, carpeting, super 77 spray sticky stuff for carpet, terminals, 3/4" mdf, dimensions, and tools so im good to go thanks glasswolf

Post Number: 286
let us know how it turns out

Post Number: 26
that i will do, its about half done...i got it all cut and im waiting for the arrival of my port, glue, carpet and handles to put it all together

ill email yeh picture to show ya how it turned out :-)

Unregistered guest
hi im stuck on the decision of puttin a ported box or a banpass box in my 2003 ford explorer any help appreciated
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us