I need help badly

Username: Air87_05

Post Number: 1
im kinda new at this whole car audio thing but i bought an amp and subs from my friend and he hooked it all up and it worked for about a week and then the fuses on my amp blew so i went out and bought new ones but i keep blowing those as soon as i put them in. i had all my wires checked and there are no shorts. so what is wrong? do i need a new amp or is there something else that i can do to fix this problem (the amp isnt even on when it blows the fuses).

Username: Crackpipewilli

Post Number: 7
well, thats kinda weird if the amp isnt on and it blows fuses, id checkt the wiring again, cuz you are probably getting a short somewhere, but if its blowing them when the amp is running you are running the amp at too high of a setting, or it is getting to much power, by the way, what kind of amp is it and how big are your subs?

Post Number: 2
im running a 12" vega sub and my amp is a 4 channel amp but im bridging it with only one channel.

Post Number: 3
oh and i bought the whole set up from one of my friends

Username: Crackpipewilli

Post Number: 8
whats the wattage on the amp and what is the wattage that the subs take? and also the brand of the amp?

Post Number: 4
i dont know the brand of the amp but its a 140x4 and the subs are 750 watt

Username: Its_bacon12

Post Number: 10
that happened to me - check your ground and +12v input - my brother swithed them when puttin in my amp and thats exactly what happened, the fuse blew the second he put it in, actually melted it too....

Username: Its_bacon12

Post Number: 11
wait, your running 1 subwoofer off a 4 channel amp? thats not a good thing, either ur bridging two channels together or just using one channel....dont do that, get a mono amp if ur running 1 subwoofer, or get 2 subwoofers with lower power handling

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 192
or at least a two channel amp, bridged, if the sub is a 4 Ohm sub, with one coil.

Post Number: 5
ok. i have decided im just gonna go out and buy a new amp. im going to get a BOSS 1400watt max. im just wondering if that amp is going to hit hard. im not looking for anything too great because im just starting but i dont wanna b dissapointed either.

Post Number: 244
Boss is garbage.
but a decent amplifier.
look at JBL's monoblock amps.
the 600.1 is about $210

Post Number: 245
correction: BUY a decent amplifier.

Post Number: 6
ok i went out and bought the boss amp and i think that it sounds pretty decent. its not the cleanest bass that ive heard but im happy with its performance.

Username: Motoman22

Post Number: 26
Adam, if you are happy with it then this is all that matters. You mention that it's not the cleanest bass...this is something to keep in mind. Distortion breaks speakers and 1400(claimed) watts of distortion is a scary thing for your subs. I sure hope you have a crossover in this system somewhere, you don't want the subs to worry about anything except their intended range of sound.

Be conservative with the gain settings, bass level, and volume...or be ready to replace your subs. Do your subs 'thump' when you turn the radio on or off? This 'turn on thump' very often snaps the flexible leads in the speaker...and the less expensive amps do this more often than not. This type of damage is not usually covered by warranty on the speakers and I don't know any way of preventing it without replacing stuff. Maybe someone else has a trick to share? An inline cap can reduce the thump but this also blocks the low frequencies intended on the line.

Just be gentle with it, it may last a long time.

Post Number: 367
1400 watts is a max rating, just to be clear.
the Boss RIP695's real power output is:
250wRMS x 2 @ 4 Ohms Stereo

big difference :-)

anyway Mike's right, set the gains properly, and be conservative with the "bass boost" control.
these are both very easy ways to make the amplifier clip, which will destroy speakers, even when they are underpowered.
if you aren't getting enough bass, you need a stronger amp. gains won't make up for that.
here are some links for setting amp gains:
http://pub14.ezboard.com/fcaraudiotalkfrm27.showMessage?topicID=34.topic

Mike, yeah you can wire up a suppression circuit for that turn-on thump without turning it into a high-pass filter, but it's really more work than it's worth. Usually the problem can be traced to a cheap amp or source, or bad wiring/grounds.
make sure the amps are grounded to bare chassis metal (sanded to bare metal) using proper gauge cable, and kept to less than 24" in length.
(I'm sure you know all of this.. but it's for everyone else, mainly.)

Post Number: 7
actually i was kinda suprised when i got this amp becasue the last one i had ddi have the turn on thump but this one doesnt or if it does its too quiet for me to hear. but thanks for all of your help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us