WHY DOES MY CAR STEREO SUCK????!!!!!??

Username: Bass_buster_bob

Post Number: 3
ok, I got this eighty something oldsmobile car and got a pioneer stereo deck put in. it had great sound but the speakers stunk so I went out and bought all brand new speakers. It has two 3.5 inch speakers on the dash and 2 oval speakers in the back window. I got some nice infinity speakers for the front and a couple pioneer ovals for the back. After i put them in, i could only hear the bass back speakers when I was in the back seat. From the front I could hardly hear any bass from them. I tried switching the positive and negative wires and it sounds the same, i heard big bass in back, hardly any from the front. I made wood brackets for the back window to mount them so they face toward the front and I still can hardly hear them from the front. maybe the wood brackets absorb some of the bass even, i dunno. When i turn the volume up they also start to distort some and buzz and from the front the bass thump sounds more like a *pop* or a *tup*. and then one speaker was rattling even at low level sounded like it had some sand or something in it against the paper so I shook the daylights out of it to see if i could get it out and now it is screwed up and buzzes like craaaazy and rattles and clanks at quiet volume even(they better have a good return policy). so is it maybe that I installed those things wrong that i dont hardly get the bass i even had before or maybe is it possible that the speaker wires are lower quality and i need to get the stereo system rewired even?

p.s. I did buy an amp and subs but the amp is only 4 channel and it doesnt allow bridging of speakers so i cant even use it for that so i'm stuck with a hollow stereo system now after all the money i put in to it

Username: Kaosr

Post Number: 6
use amp on highs

Silver Member
Username: Jessejames

NB, PA USA

Post Number: 133
Well, wires are wires... but what you might want to do is test each of the wires, make sure you installed eveything right, and wired it to the head unit right. Check the EQ on the head unit.

p.s Don't shake your speakers, it doesn't usually help.

Bronze Member
Username: Tmf

Vicksburg, MI United State...

Post Number: 16
No doubt man! You should take that 4 channel amp of yours, and hook up your speakers to it. If you want bass, get an amp for your subs. Your pioneer deck should probablly have some custom equalizer built into it, so why dont you try and play with that a little

Username: Bass_buster_bob

Post Number: 4
well, my friend told me that if i hook my amp to my front speakers i would probably blow them cause they are only a pair 3.5 inch infinity(3002cf) loudspeakers. Im scared of doin that cause they cost me about 100 bucks. So I dunno. What i did is i took back my 70 dollat amp and bout a 300 dollar one which is also 4 channels. somebody told me that it would eb better to just hook my 2 subs into em and leave the other two channels cause it will cut the power in half. is that how it works?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1405
That's wrong. You should bridge the amp for subs if anything, that would use all 4 channels. Just hooking 2 channels and leaving the others unused won't put out any more power to the subs, bridging is another case since it uses all 4 channels. Make sure the wiring is in phase, if you just tried swapping for the left/right channel phase, try swapping both the rear speaker's polarity at the same time and see if it helps. Front speakers can be out of phase with the rear ones, and will create a hollow sound, especially on bass. Your head unit isn't going to push those speakers well, anyway, and 3 1/2" speakers aren't going to put out bass, period. You really need subs to handle anything other than midbass, and would be better off getting some components up front opposed to the 6x9's. If you could take all the speakers back and fabricate a mounting for a 6.5" component system up front, you'd be better off, then eventually put an amp on the front components and use the 4 channel for subs, provided it has enough power.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us