GlassWolf I really need you help, I don't even now where to start!!!!!!

Doug
Unregistered guest
Right now in my car I have 2 12" Alpine SWS-1241D subwoofers (200 watt RMS each) and I have them running off of a JBL BP600.1 running 150x2 at 4ohms. Right now my headlights dim a little. I am going to buy 2 12" Alpine SWS-1242D subwoofers (300 watt RMS each) and run the JBL amp down to 1 ohm (300x2 at 1ohm) but I know for sure my lights dimming will just get worse. I've heard this means I need a new alternator. Can you please help me out with this I know nothing about that kind of stuff? I don't even know where to start.

Doug
Unregistered guest
By the way I was also going to eventually run an amp to 1 pair of Infinity Kappa Perfects 6.1 and my car is a '94 Mazda 626. So that would be about another 200 RMS watts to my system.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1245
The 1 ohm load will generally draw more current as the amplifier becomes less efficient (requires more power and generates more heat). If they're dimming constantly on bass hits now, you'll need a better alternator. And honestly, that JBL is regulated to produce 600W at either 1 or 2 ohm, I'd run it at 2 ohm for less heat and current draw, and get two DVC 2 ohm subs. If you plan to add other amplifiers you definately need to upgrade your alternator.

Doug
Unregistered guest
I kind of already knew that I was going to need to upgrade my alternator but I don't know what I should be looking for in an upgraded alternator. Thats what I need help with.

Silver Member
Username: Davids2004

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 582
When you are looking for upgraded alternators make sure to look at the output at idle and when you hit full output. You dont want an alternator that puts out like 1/3 at idel and then full power at 4000 rpms. Very rarely will you reach 4000 rpms. Make sure to look at alternator that reach full output at around 2500-3000 rpms and then the idle output is at least 40-50% of full output.

Doug
Unregistered guest
OK see I have no clue what he is talking about? Where should I even start looking for an alternator and how much power do I need?

Doug
Unregistered guest
like I've been reading all kinds of posts trying to get some clue as to what I need. Everyone is talking about like alternators that put out 60 amps and stuff. How do I figure out how many amps my alternator is putting out and how many I need?

Username: Cdreece

Post Number: 3
Your stock alternator is around 80 to 90 amps.Check this page here or do a search for high output alternators.http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/index.html

Silver Member
Username: Jayj

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 418
Doug you will need to add 60amps to what your cars alternator already has. All you will need is the H.O. Alternator. I would say about a 160amp should be fine and leave you a little head room for future upgrades. Good Luck

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1249
If he's planning to add another amp, I'd err on the safe side and give at least 75-80 amps more than he has if possible.

Doug
Unregistered guest
ok what is a H.O. alternator? Does anyone have any suggestions of where I can find alternators for cheap.

Doug
Unregistered guest
And where can I find an alternator for a '93 Mazda 626?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1255
High output. www.mralternator.com they don't list your car, but if you email them with info they can build you one. Also search around on google and see if you can find one.

Username: Tmf

Vicksburg, MI United State...

Post Number: 9
Hi Doug! You can get a H.O. Alternator (High Output) alternator at practically any car place. They can be VERY expensive though, especially for newer cars, as well as imports. If I were you, I would see what goo ol' eBay has to offer! Have you considered a Capacitor yet?

Doug
Unregistered guest
I heard capacitors don't do anything. I heard they don't fix the problem they just cover it up. I don't really care about it unless its hurting my car. Is it bad to run my car like this? Like is it going to hurt it if I get all my system stuff hooked up first and then get the alternator once I save up more money?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1265
They don't fix the problem if your alternator isn't up to par. If your alternator can't keep the system charged, the capacitor will drain out and perform similar to a dead battery basically, since the alternator can't maintain it. The only thing they are good for is current on demand, for peak draws instantly draw large amounts of current at one time (batteries don't supply this as quickly or effectively), and when the voltage regulator is cutting current flow in the electrical system. This allows better transient response and a more consistent current delivery. A capacitor can actually damage an alternator that's not up to the job by straining it too hard.

Bronze Member
Username: Koz1031

Monticello, In United states

Post Number: 39
You might try a salvage yard for a H>O alternator also. Some elctric shops can convert your original also. I know there is one in the city 25 miles from me that does it and it's cheaper than buying a rebuilt.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4407
the JBL is regulated output at 1 ohm. 600 watts at 1 and 2 ohm loads.

anyway, for an HO alternator try mralternator.com or 4alterstart.com
4alterstart can custom wind and fab brackets for just about anything but with that amp you shouldn't need anything overly big.. maybe 50A over the stock rated alternator.

Doug
Unregistered guest
But is it bad for my car to run like this. Can I get all my stereo stuff first then save up more money and get an alternator? or should I get the alternator first. The headlights dimming doesn't bother me unless its hurting my car someway.

Silver Member
Username: Soccer

Post Number: 294
The alt's regulator will go and then the battery will go to. In the worst case (which looks like it), the current will be so big (relatively) to the reg/alt that the very alt's shaft will go and you won't be able to drive at night.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1286
Remember that getting twice the volume requires 10x the power, and a 3 db increase requires twice the power, so if you don't run near full volume (which you shouldn't anyway when breaking in subs and components, you should stay under half) you may be ok for a little while until you can save for an alternator. If your lights dim and your voltage rails start to sag, then turn the volume down, because it WILL push the alternator too hard.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4435
the alternator can fail prior to killing the battery or regulator.
also remember regulators can be internal or external to the alternator and that will affect things as well.

end result si try the system with the stock alternator.
if the lights dim or voltage rails sag, get the high output alternator as soon as you can manage it. you'll want to consider a deep cycle battery as well.

Doug
Unregistered guest
whats a good deep cycle battery? Whats a good one for a tighter budget like mine?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4447
Exide I think, makes one similar to the optima yellow tops. it runs around $70.
there are quite a few options.
personally I use Optima.

Doug
Unregistered guest
I just heard today that I could just get a 16 volt battery or sumthing like that and it would work too. I wouldn't need a new alternator. Is that true?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1300
That's bullsh*t. That battery won't stay 16V if the alternator wouldn't charge it (which it won't b/c the regulator wouldn't allow it to), plus if it did stay at 16V it may damage the electrical components of the car. You don't want to go over 15V for daily driving, around 14.4 is normal, but that's with the car running on the highway with the alternator giving a full charge.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4465
no a battery won't replace an alternator, and as Jon noted, the alternator/Vreg has to produce a higher voltage than the battery in order to charge the battery and maintain adequate voltage rails.
your car's electrical system isn't designed to run at 16V, and you could cause serious damage to the electronics.
14.4VDC is about ideal for a charging voltage with 12.5V car batteries.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us