Advice on a certain type of amp...

Username: Doctorsonic

Post Number: 1
I have this neigbor that is selling me a used Pyramid 1, 000W amp for only 120.00. I was wondering, is this a good deal?
I was talking to my brother and he said I should only buy new, because he could of fried it, and I wouldn't know for a few months, is this true?

If I should buy new, could you please suggest a few websites where I can get good deals? I dont need a very powerful one, a 360W or so would even do...

My current audio system:
4 6" Rockford Fosgate Punch speakers, I am going to be getting 2 12" subs for Christmas (Fosgate or Pioneer, advice?), and a Pioneer 200W DEH-P3500 CD Deck. And my vehicle is a 1985 Jeep Cherokee 4x4.

Thanks for the help!
AIM: DoctorSonic, or reply here, I will be checking it once a day, Thanks again!

Post Number: 2
Oh yeah, and I was wondering, is this a good / trustworthy site to buy from? Anyone know?
http://www.audiooutfitter.com/cgi-bin/store/TS-W3041DVC.html
(I was thinking of getting those subs if it is a good site to buy from.)

Username: Liquidsnakeblue

Post Number: 14
Hmmm.... well popular opinion says that Pyrmaid is on the "Bad" list of audio equipment... but its hard to say whether you're getting a good deal or not for the money. I would definately test it out before you buy it, as that goes with any questionable piece of equipment you buy.

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 116
1: RF isn't too bad, though not my top choice.
2: Pioneer makes good head units. Not so great speakers or amplifiers.
3: Pyramid is total crap, and that amp isn't worth $120 new. Look at websites that sell it. You'll probably find it for $54, and it's 1Kwatt max, not RMS. real power of that amp is probably about 150W x 2 @ 4 Ohms, if that.
If you want a good, cheap amplifier, look at JBL.
If you want good, cheap subs, look at www.edesignaudio.com at their eD K-series subs

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the help all, what do you think of Volfenhag?
http://www.dealsdepot.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/569277/vpcsid/0
They are selling 12" subs here (Volfenhag) for 51.00 each, then I have to get a box, and are selling a 1, 000W Volfenhag amp for 138.00... Are these good deals? Thanks for the help again!!

Username: Hydro

Post Number: 34
Volfenhag is completely horrible go with some Kickers or Adire Audio Shivas.

Post Number: 4
Those are a bit out of my price range... What do you recommend for a smaller price range?

I am willing to spend up to 160.00 on an amp, I want as much wattage as I can get, while keeping a dependable amp. I am willing to go semi-low wattage if it is bridgeable...

Also I can spend 120.00 each on two subs. Thanks again!

Also any more opinions on Volfenhag would be great, since I am still considering them I would like a few more opinions before making a decision! =)

Post Number: 5
Hmm, no edit button... Anyway I want 12" subs, I forgot to include that, sorry.

Post Number: 163
Not out of your price range at all.
The Kicker CompVR 12" subs are around $100 each if I recall, and the Shivas are $110-120 each.
For an amplifier, the JBL BP300.1 will supply 300W x 1 @ 2 Ohms, or the BP600.1 will give twice that power.
both amps are class-D sub amplifiers, and are each under $200-250 US. I think the 300.1 is about $150 or so. check etronics.com

Post Number: 6
Thanks again Glasswolf, one more favor, if I may ask it of you...
Kicker 03CVR154 15" Dual 4-ohm Voice Coil Subwoofer
These are only 20 bucks more each than the 12" inch, what do you think of them? And how much harder do they hit than a 12"? Also, where would I be able to get a box for them?

Post Number: 180
the fifteen will have a lower Fs, meaning it will hit lower than the 12", and with more SPL given ideal power, but it won't be as tight or responsive as a 12" sub.
the choice is yours. If you want a lot of bass, and that's all, go with fifteens.
If you want better sound quality in general, go with tens or twelves.
as for the box, have it custom made by a pro.
I build all of my own. I'd never use a prefab box.

Username: Motoman22

Post Number: 15
Comp VR 15" subs are louder than Comp VR 12" subs. When dealing with the same line of subs in their respective appropriate cabinets the only difference between speakers of different sizes is volume. This is a basic law of physics.

15's don't reproduce a different range of sound, they just have more cone area...which moves more air...which is louder. It is common to believe that bigger subs go lower but they don't...they are just louder and where the 12" has dropped off the 15" still has a little more to to.

There are exceptions where the TS parameters have noticable variations but it's very common for the 12" and 15" versions of any particular sub to use the exact same motor structure. Some of the TS parameters vary between 15" and 12" drivers of the same make because the larger cone makes for slightly different response characteristics. Depending on what calculation is being figured at the moment, a very small difference can be exponentially exaggerated on paper ... but make no difference at all when the proper cabinet is used.

Excellent sound quality is just as attainable with 15" subs as it is with 10" subs. Error on the install side is more noticable with the larger and louder sub but it's still just a mistake that needs to be corrected. It's doubtful that anyone would really notice the difference without an RTA anyway... if you have the power and the room, go for the 15s.

But that's just my two cents...

Post Number: 294
just a few notes:

-Comp VR 15" subs are louder than Comp VR 12" subs.
of course. more surface area + greater Xmax = more SPL.

-When dealing with the same line of subs in their respective appropriate cabinets the only difference between speakers of different sizes is volume. This is a basic law of physics.

actually not. The Fs of the 15" will be lower, which means other parameters will alter such as the rolloff point for the sub. How this interacts with other things like the enclosure, the ampunt of power given the sub, the transfer point of the vehicle, and cabin gain will all have an effect on the sound of the driver(s) in question.

-15's don't reproduce a different range of sound, they just have more cone area.

again, a larger sub will hit lower. If that wasn't the case, a 4" speaker would work just as well as an 18" for a sub. The trade-off for lower extension is enclosure design, power demands, and generally, the speed of the sub. Faster subs are always going to be smaller. If you want to talk physics, now we can. Momentum is mass * velocity. The more mass (larger cone) at the same frequency (velocity) the longer it takes to stop that cone and make it go the other direction. While that time is very minute, it's still enough to affect the accuracy and speed of a sub. This is why very high end, very fast subs used in home audio are usually no larger than 10".

-and where the 12" has dropped off the 15" still has a little more to [go].

er, yes, like I said, the rolloff of the sub is going to be considerably lower, which means the sub will hit lower, with a flat response.

-it's very common for the 12" and 15" versions of any particular sub to use the exact same motor structure.

only in cheaper subs, and this has adverse effects like limited Xmax for larger sub models, however the TS parameters will still change for the 12" and the 15" because things like driver mass change, which affect the Fs, the Q (mech) and so forth.

-Depending on what calculation is being figured at the moment, a very small difference can be exponentially exaggerated on paper

that difference is a big factor depending on the box you're designing, and the respose you desire.
some people want high SPL, some want totally flat response, etc. The differences aren't always that small, either.
Compare the JL 8W7 to a 13W7 and try to tell me the only difference will be SPL.

-Excellent sound quality is just as attainable with 15" subs as it is with 10" subs.

this is subjective, but if accuracy and the speed of the sub are a factor, that's not the case.
another factor is the kind of music. if all the person listens to is rap, yeah, the 15" will probably be a better choice for them than a 10"/
The 10" is better suited to a need for a faster sub, for things like classical or jazz, where the music is very complex, and not overloaded with LFE.

-Error on the install side is more noticable with the larger and louder sub but it's still just a mistake that needs to be corrected.

actually install and enclosure design are just about always the biggest issue, along with things that relate to that, like the car's electrical system. (I despise clipping amplifiers.)

-It's doubtful that anyone would really notice the difference without an RTA anyway... if you have the power and the room, go for the 15s.

oh god. have you ever heard a car with two tens, versus two fifteens? I mean actually heard the difference in a well designed system? The difference is easy to tell.

-GlassWolf, E.E., Master Installer

Username: Its_bacon12

Post Number: 23
nicely said glasswofl.....yet again

i prefer 12" subs cuz they hit lower than 10's but have tigher and cleaner response than the 15's.....just my 2 cents for yall :-)

Username: Ford_73

Post Number: 5
try looking at obcon they make good subs and pre fab boxes www.obcon.com

Username: Motoman22

Post Number: 21
I'm not going to play the analyze line by line game, my post is accurate. The differences you mention are valid but the only people who care or even understand these factors wouldn't be in here asking questions. If someone is even considering 15" subs, they want BIG bass; maybe it's an ego thing or maybe they just want to outdo their buddy. Who really cares?

"oh god. have you ever heard a car with two tens, versus two fifteens? I mean actually heard the difference in a well designed system?"

A time or two

"The difference is easy to tell."

Sure it is, the 15's usually completely overwhelm the rest of the system because few people design from square one based on the ability of these drivers. Building a well rounded system capable of a good RTA score with 15" subs isn't easy...but it is not impossible as you are implying if not stating outright. 15" subs aren't the sloppy monsters you paint them to be.

315 posts in 14 days, I'd think that an true E.E. and certified Master Installer would have more profitable things to do. I sure do and I'm only certified First Class with a couple of Physics degrees. What would I know?

Post Number: 317
It doesn't take much of my time to debunk your trolling efforts. I spend a couple hours a day here on the net then move on to other things.
Being self employed gives me that freedom.

My time allocation is little of your business.
I think I'm done answering your troll posts.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us