Please help

Username: Derek_i

Post Number: 4
well, i thought i already posted this once, but i'll post it again.

a few days ago my system got jacked right out of my driveway. my cd player and my subs. they pried open the window with a screwdriver, and took everything.

I was just wondering if anyone had an extra cd player laying around that they might be able to give me. i'll pay for shipping, however much it is, but i really need something right now. im tired of listening to this little walkman cd player with 1 speaker.

my email is dli1314@comcast.net if anyone can help me.

Username: Liquidsnakeblue

Post Number: 7
Holy crap that sux dude... sorry i 'd help if i could...

Username: Hydro

Post Number: 20
Derek I just sold my old Sony Reciever yesterday and I sold 2 JL12W3 subs with it all for 100 bucks.Sorry If I knew I would have hooked u up.I can get a good reciever off the Streets for about 50 bucks.

Username: Liquidsnakeblue

Post Number: 15
JL12W3 subs... 2 of em for 100 bucks? dang man thats cheap...

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 113
it is but the 12W3 is an older sub, and no longer made. the 12W6v2 would be a big step up if Hydro is upgrading the system. Still good subs though, all around.

Post Number: 21
Well Glass I want to Start over with my system and Im gonna purchase 2 Adire Audio Shivas 110 bucks plus shipping and 2 Us Acoustics 2100 Mono Amps 100 bucks a piece and Im gonna bridge both subs givin them 300 a piece.I really really want to hear how good these subs are in my car.Wasnt Satisfied with my old setup too much Spl, not enough Sound Quality

Username: Newb

Post Number: 8
hey i heard pyramid is AWESOME! just kidding lol.

hey hydro where can get shivas that cheap, r they new? i cant find the us acoustics 2100 amp, its not the same as the usx 2100 cuz thats a 2 channel right?

so if SPL is determined by Xmax and diameter/surface area of the sub then what determines SQ? is it the Fs and enclosure design?

Post Number: 128
there are more real world factors to SPL but those are the two main ones for the mechanical side of the driver itself.
the box type and design, car type, damping, etc all play a factor as well in the final outcome, but those are "external" factors that are independant of the driver itself, if that makes sense to you.
Sometimes my explanations are a bit obscure or esoteric.
as for SQ, that's dependant on a great many factors, and not something that is easily determined in a quantitative means.

Hydro, good choice on the subs and amps.
If you dislike those or want to step up even more, look at Zapco amplifiers, and the Brahma subs.

Post Number: 25
Chas Acoustic Visions has the Shivas for 110 and free shipping http://www.acoustic-visions.com/~acoustic/products/subwoofer_drivers/adire_shiva /
My mistake The US Acoustics 2100 amps arent mono there 2-channel I was just thinkin mono cuz Im hookin one sub to each of them(bridged)and I got them from a buddy for 100 bucks a piece but I believe Crutchfield and soundDomain sell them for around 130 bucks a piece
Enclosure Design and the right Port tuning Frequency can make a big Differece.With Fs its the smaller the number the better.You could say Fs is how fast ur sub naturally reacts to sound waves in free air.

Post Number: 9
ok u guys got me convinced even though ive never heard them b4, for 110 i guess the shivas r a pretty good deal, ill order them this week! hell i think sony xplod is the same price at bestbuy, has be better than that hehe. have u ordered from acoustic vision b4 hydro? just wanna make sure theyre a legit site b4 i give out credit card lol.

Post Number: 10
100wx2@4ohm, u sure that amp can push 2 shivas?
btw hydro the usx2100 is $99 at http://www.thezeb.com/caraudio/us_acoustics.html
Later

Post Number: 27
No Chas one of those amps will push 300 watts into a Shiva If u bridge it and I was suggesting 2 amps one for each sub that way ur distortion levels are very very low and all u need is an 8 Gauge wiring kit to wire them.
Chas If u do purchase 2 of those subs as well as 2 amps to go with it u better keep the volume low cuz trust me everyone is gonna raid ur vehicle better have an alarm.

Post Number: 6
so im assuming that hydro is planning on hooking each amp to the shiva at a 2 ohm load since the sub is a 4 ohm DVC application. this would in turn be pushing about 400 watts(200x2) to each shiva.

1 of those amps would not be a very good idea for the shiva. unless they were 1 ohm stable.

Post Number: 28
Derek to answer ur Assumption each Shiva has Dual 8 ohm voice coils and I was gonna wire each sub in parallel makin a 4 ohm load for each amp that way I can bridge them successfully to their seperate amps.

Post Number: 7
hmmm, okay, didnt see that on the site, i thought it was dual 4. oh well, yeah, that will give it around 200 to each sub then wont it?

Post Number: 29
Well that amps specs are as follows:
100x2@ 4 ohms
150x2@ 2 ohms
300x1@ 4 ohms bridged
99 bucks for an amp with THD<0.01% and I like the fact they measure their amps @12.9v instead of 14.4,this amp will do everything it says it will then some
so it will be 300 to each shiva add in that there both wired at 4 ohms and u will have a SPL/Sq System for about 450 bucks

Post Number: 11
yeah no doubt, i agree considering i live in kinda a ghetto area. i usually dont blast musci until i get onto a main road. but yeah i gat an alarm but if derek got his stuff jacked in his own driveway, not sure if an alarm will make too much difference. i was only gonna run one shiva neways. not looking to break windows or make my ears bleed:-)

u picked usx 2100 over a mono amp b/c...?of the price/quality ratio? for the shiva the Pmax is 650, so the rms is around 300 or so right?

Post Number: 140
The purpose of an alarm is to attract attention, and give me enough time to walk from my bedroom to my garage with my .45 :-)
They don't actually stop thieves, but alarms are meant to deter them by attracting attention, which is what thieves try to avoid.
If they are brazen enough to ignore the alarm, then it isn't going to do you a lot of good anyway, but it keeps out the amateurs.
The professionals will get the entire vehicle pretty much regardless of efforts to prevent that.
That's why we have comprehensive car insurance to replace what's taken though.
:-)

Post Number: 12
lol so i need to get a side arm for car audio protection eh? im sure the ppl in my complex prolly have automatic weapons...
what do u guys think about lowjack?

can u guys take a look at the octane 15.0 mono amp and tell me what u think, can it push a single shiva? http://www.phoenixgold.com/octane_r2/amplifiers.asp
Or would the usx 2100 hydro was talkin about be better? thx

Post Number: 165
that amp is more suited to an Adire Brahma.
The Shiva is rated for 650WRMS.

The Brahma is rated for 1600WRMS, with a 28mm one-way Xmax. That is one beast of a sub. That's on par with the 12W7.

Post Number: 166
Oh, and LoJack is nice, but OnStar is nice, and more useful on a daily basis.

Post Number: 13
shiva is 650w peak so maybe 325w rms? if u parallel the 8 ohm dvc that gives u a 4ohm sub. the octane15.0 amp is 1500w peak at 2ohm. so at 4ohm would be around 300w rms. does that sound right? so they should work together?

i just wasnt too convinced on spending $800 on lojack cuz its only useful after the fact...ur cars already been stolen. id rather spend the money on a nice alarm....jsut a thought.

Post Number: 179
Pmax is 650WRMS.
Anyway, you don't need to give it the full power anyway so yes, ~350WRMS would be fine from a good amplifier.

Lojack is good if the car is valuable. My best friend has Lojack installed on his suped up NSX.
The alarm is a good idea as well, as opposed to an "or" option. The alarm is a better first line defense.
The Lojack is better for recovery or tracking once the professional thief has bypassed the alarm, or towed the car.

Post Number: 14
:-) i dont think money will be an issue when i can afford an NSX! unfortunately i have a RSX...only $70K difference lol. cant professional thieves just take out the lojack too? its just a computer chip right?

Post Number: 190
They have to a: know it's there, b: know where it's installed, then c: know how to take it out.
Those things are in the car very securely. That's why they are only sold and installed professionally by authorized dealers.

That NSX he has is sweet. Sits on 265s in back, and 235s in front. look like they're painted on the new rims he has. custom exhaust, new reprogramed computer, NOS, custom built Penske coil-over suspension, and a ton of other work.. that thing is like an F-15 on a race track. Only things that really keep up with him at Vipers. The Viper has him on straight shots by raw muscle, but he usually takes it back through curves.
Anyway, he's an air traffic controller. He makes six figures a year so he can afford his toys. heh
I've done some pretty slick systems for him over the years, too.. in various cars of his.
Fiero GT, Honda Accord, '82 L88 vette, European 944, stuff like that. He's always had the fun cars. I just have the superior audio systems.

Post Number: 15
lol after a month of reading and help from u guys i know more about car audio than the bestbuy sales guys. they were trying to tell me the Xmax on their subs is 300w rms. i was like errrr....ok sure, i think i can help myself.

NSX is nice but too expensive. NSX 290hp/3150 curb wt/$85K, 350zx 287hp/3200lb/$30K, corvette 405hp/3100lb/$45K. theyre nice but not that nice lol!

Post Number: 16
anyone ever hear of dayton titanic subs?

Post Number: 39
Yea I have found that many people at Best Buy and Circuit City dont know what there talking about in fact the Circuit City here had a girl who was over the Audio Equipment and she couldnt answer any of the questions ppl were asking her so I helped her out and answered everyones Questions and all the people thought I worked there.The Manager of the store asked me If I would like to be an Installer there but I told him no,might have to give him a call back.I thought Best Buy was hilarious they were telling my buddy to wire The Positive and Negative wires together to make them Parallel.UNACCEPTABLE

Username: Zacdavis

Post Number: 4
chasd, yes, dayton can be bought through PartsExpress, they do have great accuracy and deliver abundant output, though usually used in home audio you could still use'em in a car. a guy in town here decided to build his third spl vehicle using 32 dayton series two15's and 4 mmats mono1200hc amps, all in a 84 ford conversion van. with the doors open it would damn near stop your heart, but he ran in to some phase probs, plus with 6 doors its hard seal up and post high scores, he never got it quite right but in outlaw it killed.

Post Number: 17
hey hydro did u get ur shivas yet? how do they sound? i ordered mine today. too bad theyre not dual 4ohm. i guess ill prolly get same amp u suggested all the mono and dual amps r around 200-300 bucks for like mtx, jbl, crossfire, phoenix gold.

Post Number: 195
regarding the NSX, 270BHP was stock. He was about 350BHP at the wheels, and pulls an 11.2 quarter, but as I said before, his was a track car set up for handling which doesn't really show through with power to weight ratios.
He looked at a GranSport Vette at the time, and the 350Z didn't exist in 1996 when he bought the car.
At the time the GS was the fastest production vette. Anyway if I recall he paid about $45k for that NSX when he bought it pre-mods. He got it used from a dealer who kept it in a garage, on grass and had hardly driven it at the time, but the guy got married, had kids, didn't need a showy car anymore. Needed a soccer-mom van. heh
I will note that we couldn't park that NSX anywhere near a shopping mall etc without having chicks walk up to flirt, or gawk though.
had to shoo people away when we'd leave after seeing a movie or something. heh

Post Number: 18
he was an air traffic controller eh? isnt that synonynous with high risk for cardiac events, hehe. but seriously, if hes been making 6 figures for 10 years im sure hes loaded. if i could find a NSX with low miles for $45K id buy it too but money was prolly worth more back then. geez u mean driving a $85K car around with a nice system attracts girls? who woulda thunk, lol. im surprised the car didnt end up missing or "keyed" while in a mall parking lot. does it have an electrical shock alarm system? :-)

Post Number: 201
He's still an ATC in Washington DC. He used to be one of the ATCs for that helipad at the pentigon where that plane hit. We had an amusing talk about that.. heh oh the stories.
Yeah ATCs are one of the highest stress jobs out there but they do make good money.
We always parked way out in the lot away from anyone else. not in packs of other cars. heh
Yeah it had an alarm as well.

Post Number: 19
u cant hook up sub and amp to a factory HU right since it has no RCA preout? is there an adaptor for that? i have an old pioneer HU(only 4 channel) i could use but i think my RSX has 6 speakers. do i need to buy an extra amp to power the other 2 speakers?

Post Number: 40
Chas I get my Shivas on the 28 cuz I payed with a money order and it takes a certain number of days to send to me but Ive heard shivas b4 trust me u will Love them the second u turn the power on.

Post Number: 203
yes you can use an amp and subs on a factory stereo by using the high level inputs of the amplifier. This won't sound quite as good as an aftermarket setup with pre-outs, but it does the job.
As for six speakers, you never want more than one speaker per channel on a head unit's internal amp.
If you go with six speakers, you'll need to make sure they have crossovers, and four of those are part of a component system.
then it'd work.
you never want to drop that impedance below 4 Ohms on a head unit though.

Post Number: 20
" ...six speakers, you'll need to make sure they have crossovers"
sorry not sure i understand. i just bought the car so everything still factory. i think it has 4 midrange speakers and 2 tweeters in the dash. im assuming in a factory setup it has built in crossovers, only way to check is to pull the speakers outta the doors right?

"...four of those are part of a component system."
"component" refers to midrange, tweeter anything thats not a sub right? so r all 6 speakers part of the component system? does the factory HU have 6 channels? most aftermarket HU's only have 4 channels rright? I know these r simplistic questions but im a little lost, thx.

Post Number: 208
what you describe should be fine.
if four are mods, and two tweeters, then yes they'll already have crossovers, and you can run them all from a new head unit if desired.

Post Number: 21
wow half of the feedback from ordering from sound domain is negative, kinda scary. has anyone ordered from thezeb.com b4, any comments?

Post Number: 228
I know quite a few people who got their CDTs from thezeb and had a very positive experience.

note, my above post I meant to say if four of the speakers are "mids" and two are tweeters, you're fine.
that's probably one set of separates, and one rear set of coaxials.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us