HELP, THE LEED WIRES TO THE SUB TORN OFF AGAIN!!!!

Username: Daniel_s

Post Number: 1
this is the 2nd time this has happended to me. I have a Ts10l5 solobaric in an official kicker enclosure. Wouldn't you know it the lead wire to the sub blows off and i have to return it to kicker for a new one. Geez well this new one after so and so months did the same thing!!! I have no working sub right now...really pissed..help, if anyone tells me what is doing this then help. thankx!

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 90
The only thing that should cause lead separation is over-excursion, or something hitting the leads, such as damping material/polyfill.
Otherwise that shouldn't be happening. If the leads are too long, you'll hear them slap against the cone during use which is also bad.
Over-excursion would be caused by overdriving the speaker, feeding it more than it's RMS rated power, which will over-extend the voice coil.

Post Number: 3
I'm using a 401s rockford fosgate amp i don't think i can go more than the RMS that the sub can handle right? And in the enclosure i have this cotton stuff if thats what your talking about? So what can it be?

Post Number: 95
yeah to both.
you don't want to excede the RMS rating of the sub, and polyfill is that cotton stuff in the box.
hmm.. ya know what it might be?
If your box is ported, the ports may not be tuned properly, and if that's the case, and they are tuned to below the Fs of your subs, then what is happening is the subs are being driven without any damping factor below the tuned frequency, and this will cause the subs to over-excurse as mentioned already.
is this box pre-made?
is it ported?
were the port tubes cut to length to tune them for the box volume, calculating for port and driver displacement?
that might be the problem. It's hard to troubleshoot this sometimes without seeing it.

Post Number: 4
ooo, no i have a official truck sealed enclosured that came with the sub. here's a pic

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-MtibSfZHh1R/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=10&g=510&I=2 062TS10L5&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N

I hope i can get this problem fixed because kicker is replacing my sub again for free and i don't want to ruin it too. I know i'm going to be paranoid now whenever i have loud bass that i'm going to blow another lead wire....grrr. But crutchfield said that it might be the bass boost that comes with the amp, they said it is harmful for subs when used on max because it only causes distorted bass and extra vibration to the sub. but the way i have it set up is if you have the knob down then teh sub is off so i dont think that can really be the prob? Maybe its the gain...i dont know

Post Number: 125
ok first off, the sub is MADE to vibrate. if they feed you that crap, smack em. heh what do you think sound is, but resonation? sound waves are created by vibration, or motion in the transducer (speaker)
Now, as for the boost, yeah that can happen in that you can cause the amp to clip, which will send DC voltage to the speaker and burn up the coils but again, that destroys voice coils, not terminal leads.
If your leads are separating, it's a design flaw on Kicker's part.
Have you considered going to an L7 from the L5?
See if Crutchfield or Kicker will upgrade the sub for you if it happens again.

Post Number: 5
i don't know kicker said that the l5 has better SQ while the l7 has more power.....

Post Number: 158
hell if you're after SQ, don't use a square sub in the first place. You're already going to be introducing cone distortion anyway due to the non-round nature of the speaker, and the uneven stress points of the design.
Nothing you can do about that but change to a better, round speaker.
That's one reason i am not a big fan of Kicker's solobaric sub line after they went to non0round subs.

Anonymous

how exactly do you tune a box? I know that ported boxes have to be tuned, but do sealed? I dont know that much about building.

Post Number: 400
Sealed you pretty much just build the box to the volume that fits that sub, and the musical tastes of the listener.
Vented, you need to trim ports to length, which alters the tuned frequency of the ports.
Generally you want to tune the box either to the resonant frequency of the vehicle for max SPL, or tune it low, but not below the Fs of the sub to get good low end extension for a more musical setup (SQ)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us