One for the experts only

Username: Vohs83

Post Number: 2
Ok, here's the deal, I got a 2001 GMC Sierra Regular Cab HD. I can't find any good boxes specifically made for my application, and I need to build a box. Because of the limited space, its really hard to decide. I dont want to have to move the seats up more then a few clicks, and i always leave the center console down, but still want to be able to move it up. Does anyone know of any good setups for a newer GM reg cab truck? Right now I have a Kenwood Tornado 12", and a Pyramid 600 watt Crystal Amp, in a regular 12 truck box, and its just not cuttin it. I want to spend at most 3 or 4 hundred on a new amp and sub if I have to. I was looking at a 10" massive sub, but dont know what amp, plus I dont even know if the massive will fit. I want the truck to rumble, all it does now is punch. I hate how my 12 distorts after the volume is about half way up. If anyone has any idea's for this please let me know.

Another thing is that there is limited space under the seats, my 600watt barely fits underneath my drivers seat now.

GM needs to make they're reg cab bigger. I designed a box for my buddy in his 1998 Dodge Ram reg cab, and we fit 2 15's in it with a prefect spot for the amp by the center console.
But the dodge doesn't have anything in the way, so we could make the box tall. The GMC has a plastic lip at about 14"'s up from the floor.

Username: Hydro

Post Number: 11
Jason If I were you I would get a Elemental Design e10A.22 and drive it with the JBL BP1200.1 (wire the sub in parallel and u will put 1200 watts to that sub)u will get more than punch and rumble u will get deafness.

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 64
1200 watts will require a new alternator for the truck.
look at one of eD's K-series 12" subs with the JBL 150.1 or two of them on a 300.1
that'll be a more realistic daily driver setup for a smaller box setup.
go with a ported enclosure.. the box will be a bit larger but it will hit harder since you don't have the airspace in that truck cabin for much resonation to hit deeply.

forget boss, pyramid, massive, and all of that other K-mart level crap, and go with better companies. you'll be thankful you did. eD and JBL will serve you well for a modest price.

Username: Hydro

Post Number: 12
Glasswolf he could buy a seperate battery like an optima Battery and hook it up to his 1200 watt amp without ever having to worry about his alternator I just recently helped a buddy of mine install 4 Adire Shivas ran by 2 2-channel US Acoustics amps and we put his amps on an optima battery seperate from the car battery and everything seems to work fine.

Post Number: 3
I already have two battery's and a heavy duty alternator cuz my trucks got an electric snow plow wit the Heavy Duty package.

Does anyone have any box blueprints?

Post Number: 4
one other thing, gotta remember that I have almost no depth or hight to work with, so the 12 would have to be a tight fit. Well actually anything is going to be a tight fit.

Post Number: 76
look at the ten inch subs from the same lines I mentioned then. smaller boxes, shallower subs.

as for dual isolated batteries, the ONLY way that doesn't stress the alternator ever more, is if the second battery runs the audio system, and isn't connected to the alternator at all, so it's never charged by the truck's engine.
remember when the car is running, the alternator not only supplies all of the electrical current to the vehicle and all accessories including the stereo system, but it also has to recharge the car battery(ies) since with a forward bias voltage from the alternator of 13.5VDC or higher, the battery can't do anything for the car unless the alternator is sapped so badly that the voltage rails drop to below 12VDC, in which case you've already got serious problems.

Anyway, figure 1200WRMS of amplifier will demand about 110A of current in addition to anything else in the car like the plow, lights, sparkplugs, gauges, heater, etc. just something to keep in mind.

Username: Liquidsnakeblue

Post Number: 3
GlassWolf... how do you have all this knowledge? How old are you?

Username: Derek_i

Post Number: 1
if this is the person im thinking it is, hes an electrical engineer. hes been in competitions for a while now with IASCA. he used to have a ford festiva but he now drives a jeep cherokee with a couple older Cerwin Vega subs and some nice old school amps, hes hittin around 150+ with his current setup :-) that you kiki?

Post Number: 91
yup it's me.
I'm 33.
been in this industry since the late 80s.
I used to be a professional installer, but now, mostly just do the work as a hobby.
Most of the questions people have relate to either basic electrical knowledge, or mechanic-related stuff. Once you have a grasp on that, most of these questions are just a matter of applying what you know to the particular issue.

Post Number: 5
will the Elemental Designs e10K.44 Dual 4 ohm Subwoofer fit in my truck? it says the mounting depth is 5.25"'s and i still dont even know what I'm going to do about a box yet. I want to build a ported one, but I can't find any blueprints for one still. Should I just build a large sealed box and stick the port at the farthest point away from the sub. (facing toward the ceiling of course) And put the sub where my center console is, giving it the most room to flex and air movement. So far I was looking at the Elemental Designs e10K.44 Dual 4 ohm Subwoofer and the JBL 300.1. I'm not really new to everything here, and I live in the middle of nowhere. So I've never even heard of Elemental Designs. Thanks so much for all the help so far though!

Post Number: 94
I tell ya what..
here's a page with all the calculators you need for doing a vented/ported box.
find out from eD what tehy suggest for ideal box sizes for ported box for that sub.
the eD 10K is a great little sub. you'll be happy with it.
http://www.bcae1.com/spboxnew2.htm
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us