Question about rms wattage for subs

Silver Member
Username: Davids2004

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 463
I have a 2 channel amp that puts out 400 rms bridged at 4 ohms. That will give me 200 rms per sub. I have some HE2 subs that are 300 rms per sub. I have them in a sealed box right now and they just arent loud enough. Would putting them in a ported box help me out any or would it be a waste of time. Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1020
Yeah, it will allow them to have more excursion since the box has less control over the cone, plus you get much more output since you'd create the equivalent surface area of 4 subs.

Silver Member

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 464
Jonathan,

How will it allow you to create the equivalent of 4 subs? Just curious

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1025
Because the port allows both sides of the subs to be used, doubling the surface area, just as you would be using 4 sealed subs.

Silver Member

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 465
Jonathan,

So you think with the 200 rms on a 300 rms in a ported box I will be ok.

Thanks in advance.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1026
Yeah, it will be fine. No worse than the sealed you had it in. As far as the tuning frequency, try to use a subsonic filter or Harrison Labs F-mods below that if possible to avoid overexcursion of the driver.

Silver Member

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 466
Well do you think it will get louder then the sealed box or im just pretty much stuck.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1029
Oh yeah, it should be a lot louder, probably 5-6 dbs.

Silver Member

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 467
Because I know with a ported box with about 50% of the rms wattage it will usually get louder. I figured since im only using about 60-70% of the rms I would be fine without a subsonic filter IMO.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1033
Yeah, it just depends on the tuning frequency. A ported box has a 24db/oct rolloff below the tuned frequency, so if you tune higher, the box will have a steep rolloff at the really low frequencies and the subs won't have as much excursion at that point.

Silver Member

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 469
Since I didnt have a ss filter I was gonna buy a probox superbass box tuned at 45 hz.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1035
Kind of a high tuning frequency, but with that box it should be fine w/o a SS filter.

Silver Member

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 470
Yea I know its high but with vehicle acoustics it could come down some. My point with the SS filter tuning it higher I should be fine.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us