JL Audio 12w7
Infinity Kappa Perfect 5.1's or 6.1's
MTX Thunder202
Alpine CDA-9872

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 981
Not a bad setup at all, if anything changed I'd get a 2 channel with a tad more power, 100x2 at 4 ohms, to get max potential out of the Perfects.

Bronze Member
Username: Ffxdevilarms

Post Number: 20
what about the hifonics zeus zx4000 amp?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
is the zeus a perfect choice? If not please give me some examples.

Anonymous

yes, I have a set of perfect 5.1's in my jetta running off the ZX4000 and it is amazing. great amp for great price...

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 984
Good amp for the money.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
do you think i will have to do any custom work to put in either 5.1's or 6.1's. I plan to either get a 2003 monte carlo, a 2004 malibu or alero.

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 987
You shouldn't have any trouble at all, although I'm not too familiar with those cars.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
I sure do hope it will sound incredible, i plan on getting everything and a car in mid to early september. If you have any ideas that would make the setup better, it would be great. THANKS JONATHAN!!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
??????????????????

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Jonathan, if you are still up on the forum, any more input would be apreciated. If you have nothing more to say and you are reading this, thank you a WHOLE lot.

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 992
If anything, I'd maybe invest in a better amplifier if you have the money. The Hifonics is a good amp, but more mid-level as far as SQ, if you have the money you can get a higher end amp with better response. Remember that the install accounts for 90% of the way the system sounds, and the more time (or money) you invest in improving the installation of the components, the better it will sound. Kick panels are the best way to get precise imaging with mids, and the tweeters of the Perfects were designed to be in a kick panel with the mid. If you can get an installer to make some fiberglass kick panel enclosures for your vehicle, you'll be better off. The pre-made Q-Logic kicks are better than factory mounts (most of the time) but are very thin, they need damping to perform correctly and are open backed, so need to be sealed up pretty tight. They are also designed for a wide range of drivers, you'll get better sound quality getting custom kicks made to your specific components. Autosound 2000 makes excellent CD's to help in the positioning of your speakers for best imaging, you or your installer can use that. Future upgrades could be 1/3 oct EQs, or a smaller EQ if you don't want a 1/3 oct. If you want to do mids and tweeters in kicks, you could do a future upstage system such as the ones from CDT, it puts a supertweeter up high, attenuated, to raise the soundstage and provide a nice image.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
I apologize for sounding stupid just now, but i am now completely lost from the part about autosound 2000 on down. A few questions. I dont really want to spend a whole lot more then around the 1500 dollar mark for everything that i am going to get, my friend can get stuff pretty cheap through some whole sale place. What amp would you get instead of the hifonics one? Would the components still sound good if mounted in the door if there is not a spot on the kick panels?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Also, do you think that i should use a lot of dynamat, and if i should, where at?

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 993
You should definately use dynamat. In cars, doors, trunk lids, trunk itself, and floor typically need dynamat, I'd cover as much as possible. The trunk lid and doors are the places I'd put the most focus on. Door mounts are good, too, try to install the tweeter close to the woofer in the door for best sound quality. Use dynamat behind the woofer in the door and on surrounding areas. As far as amps, the hifonics is a good amp, but getting a better one depends on how much money you'll have after getting the other components. Once you give me an estimate I can recommend another amp for you

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
instead of doing it that way, please tell me what amp you would by for them and weather or not there with be a whole lot of difference between the Zeus and the one you would recommend.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
thanks in advance for all of the help jonathan.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1014
Ideally, I'd get a Zapco Reference 350.2 for them, retails for $469, it can be had for $379 on www.woofersetc.com. I considered these amps for my truck before I got the JL I have for free from the shop. Excellent amplifiers, they will really shine if you use the symbilink cables and the SP4-SL preamp ($279). The Preamp has a 4 band EQ, fader and overall volume control, and sub level control, all rotary knobs. If this costs too much, though, the Hifonics isn't a bad amp at all. You'll definately notice better SQ from the Zapco amp, the signal is MUCH cleaner than that from a head unit, and the amplifier is more linear, a flatter response will be had. Not to mention better damping, S/N, lower distortion, etc. It'll make the Kappa Perfects shine.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
i have not really heard anything but a stock system in my entire life and i can afford to go bankrupt, i plan on buying the car with a loan and then gettin the audio equipment gradually over the following month. that being said do you thiink that the zeus amp would be just what i need as my options are not that high in the price range of getting a bunch of other things. Also, is there anything that is reasonable in price that is better then the zeus? I know that the Jl audio 300/2 amp is a higher priced amp, but it is quite a bit cheaper then the zapco amp, would that be a good choice to the components too?(that is if i decide to spend the extra money)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
"cant" afford to go bankrupt, sorry TYPO
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us