RE X X X 12 or JL 12 W7

a person
Unregistered guest
I was wondering if anyone knows what sub sounds better, in terms of sound quality, and which one would hit harder? The Jl 12W7, or the 12 RE X X X? The JL is like $250 more and was wondering if there is much difference.

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 105
i'd go w/ the RE X.X.X., its just as good! (and it will prolly be louder, more throw!)

you cant get a better sub for the price when it comes to Brahma's and X.X.X.'s...you could buy a sub and an amp to push it with for the same price as the JL!!!

Username: Youngblood

Post Number: 8
well yeah but you can also get a new W7 on ebay for like 400 with a warranty....Dont get me wrong though i would go with the X.X.X myself, just stating that if you look around you can find good deals on mostly everything

Bronze Member
Username: Boopers

Lima, Ohio United states

Post Number: 44
I would look into a shocker (Shocker Audio) I got a slot ported box and sub for 350 (12" 2ohm dvc) and I got an earthquake ph500.1 amp to power it for 260. If you can get something to pound harder than what mine does for that money I'd like to hear it :-)

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 980
The Re X.X.X. will hit harder than the 12W7, the sound quality is subjective. Both are fantastic SQ subs. I'd go with the RE X.X.X. myself, great subs.

a person
Unregistered guest
Thank you for your info everyone. I appreciate it. Re quoted me on a 12 x.x.x. for $405 shipped since there isnt a dealer around by me. I think I;m gonna go with the re instead of the w7. ALso what amp would you reccomend to power a 12 x.x.x.?

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1000
It depends on the enclosure you're using, with a vented box, I'd recommend a JBL 600.1, for smaller sealed I'd do a JBL 1200.1.

Bronze Member

Lima, Ohio United states

Post Number: 46
still boggles my mind to pay 400+ for 1 12" speaker, I'd like to hear one of those triple x's compared to the speaker I got, if the cost is indicative of the output difference it would have to make my sub sound like a 6.5" :-P

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1008
You have to consider that the X.X.X. is designed for fantastic sound quality. As far as SPL, it's not shabby in that, either, one is capable of mid 140s. If you want a RE sub comparable to the Shocker, look into an MT, more costly, but a SPL MONSTER. It'll make nearly any sub sound like a 6.5" lol.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1009
You have to consider that the X.X.X. is designed for fantastic sound quality. As far as SPL, it's not shabby in that, either, one is capable of mid 140s. If you want a RE sub more comparable to the Shocker, look into an MT, more costly, but a SPL MONSTER. But the X.X.X. will definately spank everything but the highest end SPL designed Shocker models. The MT will make nearly any sub sound like a 6.5" lol.

Bronze Member

Lima, Ohio United states

Post Number: 47
interesting, but I'd still have to see it to believe it'd out perform the shocker, not saying it is not a possibility, but its hard for me to believe without seeing for myself, considering how loud and nice sounding my Shocker is. Also it's all in the set up too so like you all say it's hard to judge what somethings going to sound like til you actually hear it and have it tested for the db output

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1011
Go to a shop and have your sub db'd, then you'll know for sure :-) Our shop db'd one of my friends who got 2 12" X.X.X. subs in a 5.0 cu ft vented box tuned to 35 hz, he hit 152.3 in a CRX Hatchback, one 12 would be mid 140s. They were running off a JL 1000/1.

Bronze Member

Lima, Ohio United states

Post Number: 48
I'm planning on having it tested, probably some time this week, I'll post what I get with it

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
where can you even get it tested...the only spot that sells car audio around me sucks a$$ and they overprice everything, back to the subject. I really dont think theyd have anything to test it with...What type of place does that, not to sound stupid?

Bronze Member

Lima, Ohio United states

Post Number: 49
well the audio place that installed my stuff is having a competition on the 22, 20 bucks to enter, it's in lima, ohio so if you are close you should come, I'm gonna go and see what I got so after that I'll post my db's on here

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
thanks for the info but i live in minnesota...If i had time and gas money thatd make a good road trip but im short on both but thanks anyway

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1036
Living in minnesota you're pretty close to Glasswolf, he lives in Michigan, he may be able to tell you somewhere. Most high end audio shops have a db meter.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us