New system..need amp advice

Username: Arbol99

Post Number: 1
I didnt feel like going into a high price component system so i got infinity kappa 462.5's for the fround and kenwood excelon kfc-x698's for the rear. Do i only need a dual channel or should i go for a multi channel? overall i know nothing about amps so what kind should i get to power these? also do i need crossovers and/or equalizers...or should i just go for an amp with a crossover in it?

Post Number: 2
oh yeah forgot to add that i allready own a pioneer premier DEH-P430 head unit

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4348
you could use a 2 channel amp but ideally, you'd want a 4 channel amp for front/rear speakers.
more control that way, ability to fade, etc.

Post Number: 3
ok what rms and ohm ratings should i go for if im not planning on running subs..and if i ever do so will prolly buy a seperate amp for it..so this would just be for the frount and rears

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4361
50-75wRMS x 4 @ 4 ohms
kicker kx600.4, MTX Thunder404, JBL's GTO series or similar.

Post Number: 4
how are hifonics? ive never heard of them...ive mostly jbl, orion, kicker, infinity, and pioneer and the normal stuff...whats your fav brand?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4373
well, my favorites are probbly all well outside of your price range, and really wouldn't be a noticeable improvement with the kappas anyway.

that aside, hifonics is ok. some people love em. I think they work well enough, and offer a fair price.
kicker and MTX make very solid, well made amps also, offering good feature sets.

Post Number: 5
not a fan of kappas? i was thinking aobut components when i first started looking cause i know they have much better sound, but i dont want to modify my car too much and i dont want subs cause i use the trunk space in my grand am a lot of the time so i thought sticking with the 4x6 and 6x9's wouldnt be too bad...ive heard to only go with components if your gonna drop the rear speekers and just use the subs for the low frequencys. that and im insanely tall so i sit as far back as possible from the frount of the car and the tweeters would be too far from my head to notice that much of a difference in my oppinion...or am i wrong? i wassnt sure if i even needed an amp cause my headunit has mosfet50 with 50x4 power and the like.

Post Number: 6
by the way, thanks glasswolf for all your help i went with the kicker amp that you recomended. just curious, whats you oppinion of my choice to stay with the kappa 4x6s for the front...obviously the seperate 6.1's are better but my grand am only has 4x6 slots and the only in town place thats close is waaay over priced for their services and i wanted to make it as simple as possible...and obviously since i got the amp im gonna use it but how much of a difference does it make if i just went to the head unit with the mosfet 50x4 and crossover features in it?

Post Number: 7
by the way, thanks glasswolf for all your help i went with the kicker amp that you recomended. just curious, whats you oppinion of my choice to stay with the kappa 4x6s for the front...obviously the seperate 6.1's are better but as i stated above the sound staging would be different cause of my height and my seat position. also my grand am only has 4x6 slots and the only in town place thats close is waaay over priced for their services and i wanted to make it as simple as possible...and obviously since i got the amp im gonna use it but how much of a difference does it make if i just went to the head unit with the mosfet 50x4 and crossover features in it and didnt get the amp?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us