About Ebay

Username: Nbacker

Post Number: 5
Just a quick question about ebay. I just bought an amp for my speakers and I'm planning on buying my Kappa speakers and Kappa Perfect subs off of ebay. Has anyone had the experince of buying car audio stuff from ebay (mostly speakers and or subs)? I've heard lots of people talk about it and haven't said anything bad, but on this one forum some guy was warning people that he bought Kappa speakers and subs from ebay and they didnt' work good. They were really distorted and scratchy, and the sub blew in 1 week. I know you have to break them in first, etc, but is it not a goood idea to buy from ebay? I don't think theres anything wrong with it, but I'm just wondering if anyones had any experience through ebay on speakers and subs. Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Mattl

Bolingbrook, Illinois USA

Post Number: 330
I have personally bought and sold a lot of car audio gear on eBay.

There are only a few ways I know someone can easily get burned:
1. Most stuff on eBay isn't from "authorized" dealers, so in many cases the product's warranty is void even if it's new. Not a big deal to someone who's installed a dozen systems, but potentially problematic if this is your first time out and accidentally cook something.

2. People don't know the "street value" of what they buy. These are the types who buy 1800W Lanzar amps for $400 and don't understand why this big-ticket-item died in 3 months. Regardless of what was paid, the item was junk to begin with.

3. Bad people. Yes, there are even bad people on eBay. I have never gotten bad equipment, but I also check ratings. I won't buy from someone who "dresses up" a used items' listing... odds are pretty good that there's something wrong with it. (Find the fine print that says "no DOA guarantee, it worked before I put this screwdriver through it")

Read carefully, and if you're really not sure but want to buy, just come back and ask us to take a look at the listing (not twenty).

-Matt

PS- I came here through an eBayer I bought from suggesting I check this place out. :-)

Silver Member
Username: Mattl

Bolingbrook, Illinois USA

Post Number: 332
I have personally bought and sold a lot of car audio gear on eBay.

There are only a few ways I know someone can easily get burned:
1. Most stuff on eBay isn't from "authorized" dealers, so in many cases the product's warranty is void even if it's new. Not a big deal to someone who's installed a dozen systems, but potentially problematic if this is your first time out and accidentally cook something.

2. People don't know the "street value" of what they buy. These are the types who buy 1800W Lanzar amps for $400 and don't understand why this big-ticket-item died in 3 months. Regardless of what was paid, the item was junk to begin with.

3. Bad people. Yes, there are even bad people on eBay. I have never gotten bad equipment, but I also check ratings. I won't buy from someone who "dresses up" a used items' listing... odds are pretty good that there's something wrong with it. (Find the fine print that says "no DOA guarantee, it worked before I put this screwdriver through it")

Read carefully, and if you're really not sure but want to buy, just come back and ask us to take a look at the listing (not twenty).

-Matt

PS- I came here through an eBayer I bought from suggesting I check this place out. :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Jonez788

Post Number: 100
My entire system came from ebay. The amp was even a refurb and fired right up and puts out over the stated RMS.

Kicker KX 800.1 by the way.
2 12" CVR's

Heck, even my box came from there, but it was made by Big Dog Audio

I would reccomend finding a user that has a store also, cuz it's usually a regular audio shop that sells their surplus on ebay. Shipping just sucks. I think I spent 100 bucks on shipping alone for all of it.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us