Amp won't work right

Username: Jeff518

Post Number: 1
I just got a Jensen JXP720 car amp off ebay. I went to install it and the jensen logo lights up, as well as this "power protect" indicator light. but no music comes out of my subs. The subs are 2 12" Kickers which work fine.

THESE ARE THE SPECS ON THE AMP.
Total Peak Music Power: 720W
Peak Power Per Channel @ 2 ohm: 360W x 2
RMS Power Per Channel @ 2 ohm: 180W x 2
Peak Power Per Channel @ 4 ohm: 260W x 2
RMS Power Per Channel @ 4 ohm: 130W x 2
Peak Power Bridged @ 4 ohm: 720W x 1
RMS Power Bridged @ 4 ohm: 360W x1
Variable input level controls
Pass through RCA outputs
Extruded aluminum heat sink
Top mounted controls
Oversize power/ground terminals
Auto-reset thermal/short circuit protection
Auto-reset Low impedance/DC offset protection
Power/protect bi-color LED indicator
Blue LED illuminated JENSEN logo
PWM MOSFET power supply
Complimentary bi-polar output transistors
2 Ohm stable (stereo operation)
Tri-mode operation
Bridgeable operation
Selectable crossover (High pass/low pass/full range)
Variable high pass crossover (40-400Hz)
Variable low pass crossover (40-400Hz)
12dB/Octave crossover slope
12dB Variable bass boost @ 45Hz
Remote bass control
High level (speaker level) inputs 2V - 10V
Low level (RCA) inputs 300mV - 8V

What could the problem be here? And what exactly is the "pass through RCA outputs" I hooked my white and red RCA's up to both the input and also output, but still no music coming out my subs.

Is this Power Protect light supposed to be on?

Silver Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 439
No the power protect light is not supposed to be on. I am almost positive that a 'pass through' is where you hook up the RCA's from the deck to the AMP then you can OPTIONALY hook up another set of RCA;s to the pass through and pass the same signal on to another AMP. Sounds like some thing is hooked up in the wrong spot.

Post Number: 2
hey thanks for the reply, the power protect light comes on whenever I put power to the amp and attach the ground wire [with the ignition in the "on" position] even if i don't have the speaker wires or rca's connected. I took the cover off the amp and I'm wondering if there should be more inside the amp because all there is inside it is a big circuit board going the length of the amp with a few wires, I thought there would be more to it than this thin circuit board but maybe I'm wrong. I hooked up my old amp which is a Jensen 300watt and it works perfect. Would having too small of a power and ground wire make the power protect light come on? What else could trigger this power protect light, and can car stereo shops test amps to see what's wrong with them?

Anonymous

hye supzzz ppll...i have one questions i got like 3 subs ....to 12'..max power 1200 wat each and one 10'.... 600 wat ....they are sony xplood wat amplifire will the best for them....can someone help me... plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..... one more time please....

Post Number: 3
update: I tried hooking the amp up again with the same results, I'm pretty sure I got ripped off because even with the amp turned on and power on, if I pull the 2 fuses out of the amp it does nothing, the amp lights still stay on. I tried pulling the fuse out of my 300watt jensen and the amp shut off. so did I get ripped off? sure sounds like it to me

Username: Koz1031

Monticello, In United states

Post Number: 3
did you buy a used amp?

Post Number: 4
yea the amp is used, it only cost me $20 so I guess it's not that big of a deal really, anyone else care to put some input in here? does the amp sound broken to you, only thing inside it is a flat ciruit board and when I pull the fuses nothing happens.
thanks

Username: Bizziatchi

Post Number: 6
it sounds like a grounding problem. i had that happen to me. make sure the ground is secure, and scrape the paint off of the bolt, washer and whatever else is connected to the ground bolt. make sure you get as much paint off as you can. if its not that then im not sure what to tell you. hope this helps. get back to me and let me know.

oh and make sure the fuses arent blown
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us