Understanding dual voice coils

FrankandBeans
Unregistered guest
i have 2ALPINE SWR-1221D 12" TYPE R 300W do i need a amp that will give 600W to each subs, because of the dual coils, or just 300W per sub as stated on alpines website

Silver Member
Username: Davids2004

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 443
Just 300 watts per sub. Its 150 per voice coil.

Bronze Member
Username: Audiophile

OFallon, MO USA

Post Number: 84
Or if you wire them in parralell as a 2Ohm load you can run 300 to it as such.

here's a wiring diagram

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4251
300 watts is a thermal rating, if the coils are wired in series or parallel the thermal power handling is the same, and the coils will still handle 150w each or 300w combined without thermal damage.

FrankandBeans
Unregistered guest
i want to wire them in a 2ohm load because i have a mrd-m501 amps to power both of them, i would use option 2 on this page correct?
http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/learningcenter/car/subwoofers_wiring.html?subs=2&impedance=DVC2x2

Also it shows one wire coming out of the amp going to to both woofers, how do you really wire that?

Silver Member
Username: Grmncrsnbr

VA

Post Number: 285
that is correct and wiring isnt easy all connections between woofers should be inside the box. you would use one wire to make that connection it would be two and if im not mistaked the connects on the type R allow you to slide th wire through a hole and screw a peice down onto them in order to hold them so just put two wires in the hole.

Silver Member

VA

Post Number: 286
that is correct and wiring is easy all connections between woofers should be inside the box. you would use one wire to make that connection it would be two and if im not mistaked the connects on the type R allow you to slide th wire through a hole and screw a peice down onto them in order to hold them so just put two wires in the hole.

FRANKANDBEANS
Unregistered guest
so two speakers wire come out of the amp of just one?

FRANKANDBEANS
Unregistered guest
so two speakers wires come out of the amp or just one?

Silver Member

VA

Post Number: 292
look at that picture. the amp goes where it says 2 ohms.
or even better look at the 2 ohms like its the terminal on your box and all the wiring is done inside the box. the places where a wire goes in then comes back out just use two wiresone going in and one going out its not a hard concept to grasp dude.
box terminal -------- wire one --------- speaker 1 terminal -------- wire two ---------- speaker 2 terminal

sgw356
Unregistered guest
i know that the 2ohm is the amp, but i am wiring for two speakers, and there is only one wire coming out of the amp for both speakers??? do you stick two differnt speaker wires in the amp for both speakers?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us