2 channel to 1 sub

Bronze Member
Username: Jtb

Post Number: 32
I have finally saved enough money to get some decent subs. I have one question left (I hope). I am about to buy some RE SE12s. I have a 620 watt kicker kx550.2 that will power BOTH of them. If I decide that this does not push them enough, could I buy another kx550.2 and put one amp to each sub? Or will I have to sell the kicker amp and buy a 1200.2 amp?

The RE SE12s are 4 ohm DVC I believe. The amp is 310 x2 @ 2 ohms. So the question is, if I bridge it into one chanel and connect it to a 4 ohm speaker, will it put 620 watts into that speaker?

Thanks for all the help so far.

Silver Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Hfl, Ny Usa

Post Number: 920
you can get another 2 channel amp to power the other one - but i dont think that amp is stable bridged at 2 ohms... you wont get the full amount of power from that amp with dual 4 ohm subs and a 2 channel amp

if you decide thats not enough, i would DEFINATELY reccomend a hifonics brutus bx1000d or a jbl bp1200.1 and running them at 1 ohm for 1000w rms or 1200w rms for those subs - either amp would be a better idea than getting another 2 channel amp :-)

anything else?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
Will I only get half the power to each sub because the impedeance on the amp is cut in half when it is bridged?

Just as if I was running the subs off one amp?

Also if I get a JBL1200.1, will i be able to wire the 1 channel to both to subs and still get 1200 watts from it?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
It says on the kicker website that the amp puts 550 x 1 @ 4 ohm bridged. Does that mean it will put out 550 to a 4 ohm dvc sub?

Silver Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Hfl, Ny Usa

Post Number: 927
no it means it will put 550 watts to a 4 ohm sub - dual 2 ohm, 4 ohm SVC, quad 1 ohm, however you look at it it has to be SINGLE 4 ohm nominal impedance

4 ohm dvc will be either 2 or 8 ohms

"Also if I get a JBL1200.1, will i be able to wire the 1 channel to both to subs and still get 1200 watts from it?"

yes you will, this is why i reccomended this amp for you, hence the advantages of mono channel amps - more power easily gained

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 856
No. Two 4 ohm subs (or a dvc 4 ohm sub) present a 2 ohm load to an amplifier, because their is less resistance with a parallel load, basically more paths for electrons to flow, in the case of the SE's, you can wire for either a 1 or a 4 ohm load. A 2 ohm load (the 4 ohm dvc) will cause the Kicker amp to go into protection mode, so really you'll only get 275W to one sub since you can only give an 8 ohm load, with 2 SE's you will be able to wire for a 4 ohm load, but each sub will only get 275W each. You could get good results with 275 to each sub, but to get the full potential you'll need a very large sealed or large ported enclosure to get the subs to move to full X-max. A JBL 600.1 will run a single SE well, if you get two then get a JBL 1200.1 and wire to a 1 ohm load, then you'll give each sub 600W RMS, 1200W total. Then you can put them in a smaller sealed box for SQ, or ported for SPL and get great results.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us