Sub/Amp.. Budget Build.. Help

Username: Atreyix

Post Number: 1
Hello all.. New to the forums, heh.

Well,Here is my situation I'm running down on a budget, So heres what my setup looks like:

Kicker DS65 6 1/2's for the front (RMS: 100 watts per pair / 50 watts each) - http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_29827_Kicker-DS65-11DS65.html
Kicker DS693 6x9's for the Rear (RMS: 140 watts per pair / 70 watts each) - http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_29831_Kicker-DS693.html
JVC KD-R640 Headunit (MOS-FET 50W x 4 Max. (20W RMS x 4) - http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_64219_JVC-KD-R640.html

And this package: MTX Magnum MB210SP Dual 10" Enclosure/Amp Combo - http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_14931_Magnum-MB210SP-by-MTX-Audio.html

What do you all think about it? This will be my first Subwoofer system too so XD. I'm open for Ideas/Other Opinions!!

Gold Member
Username: Mrskullz1

New York

Post Number: 2116
Welcome,

It's really unfortunate that you have come at a time where traffic in this section is at an all time low. However, on the bright side, there is PLENTY of great information archived in the forum from the previous days.

With that said, I think you run a better setup than what you have listed.

The number one thing that I, and I'm sure many others, would suggest is that if you are on a budget, don't buy everything at once. More likely than not, you will be sacrificing quality and performance of your products.

What I would do is to first start off with a head unit. The one you posted is not bad, however it lacks a bit in the preamp volts. 2.5 is common, but you should look for a unit that comes with around 4-5v.

After the head unit, your best bet is to start with your front stage setup, as that will be the most important. Look for a great set which comes with a separate tweeter and a mid-range driver that's driven by a crossover. Focal and Rainbow are a few great brands but can be a bit on the high side of pricing. Look around the forum and you'll find great budget friendly products.

Afterwards, you can buy some rear fillers, those 6x9 may be okay but again if you search the forum you'll find a great deal of information and whats great for your budget.

Last but not least, is your sub/amp combo. MTX is a mediocre brand. I've heard a few of their setups and they are not bad. But there is much better out. You will notice a lot of Fi subwoofer talk here. Thats because its a great woofer for an excellent price. I would look into that. Particularly the FI Q. You should buy a single 12" and place it in a well built ported enclosure. If you are handy, build your own box. As with everything else, there are multiple threads in the archives with box designs and measurements. All of that data should give you a clear view.

You then should find a good amp with at least 750w RMS. Surprisingly, Kicker has some good amps. I've had their 750 watt amp and it outputted more. You can also find a JL amp or Sundown or Orion. Hifonics is a budget friendly amp which has mixed reviews.

Remember one thing, if you are going for more power, you must think about your car's charging system. If your car can't handle the power needed to drive the amp, you will not be happy with the end result. You may need to upgrade your charging system (alternator, battery) to accommodate for the extra power. What you should do right away is something called the Big 3. That's basically upgrading wiring that goes from your battery to the alternator to the ground. Read up on that and its a pretty easy thing to do (unless your alternator is in a very awkward or hidden place, then its just annoying).

What car do yo have by the way? Many cars these days are equipped with premium sound systems and are just not really worth upgrading unless your are a hardcore audiophile

Whatever you do, good luck!

Username: Atreyix

Post Number: 2
Hello, Mr. Skullz, Thank you for informing me with this information, and at the moment, I have a 98 Stratus... Which I know isn't the best thing I should be doing is buying a sound system with this car, But I figured, I gotta start somewhere.

Also, I may do what you suggested. By buying piece by piece, That is not a bad idea.

One more Question... I listened to some 6 1/2 Alpine Type-s Speakers, and compared them to the CS65 kickers, And I honestly like the alpines more, But those were at lower volume, do the kickers have better sound at higher volume? Also, Probably don't like me asking but, whats the opinion on MTX Speakers?.

Thank you.

Gold Member
Username: Mrskullz1

New York

Post Number: 2117
Personally I have not heard the Kickers but I did hear the Alpines which were okay.

The most important thing is that if YOU like the sound of them. Every ear is different and has a different taste for it. Also keep in mind that what you hear in the store doesn't necessarily mean that it will sound the same in your car because of how you are setting it up. Setups sound different in different cars.

Go into the Speaker Forum and I think you will much much more luck in that department. There is also plenty of speaker talk in archives of the Subwoofer forum.

BTW, you WILL notice a huge difference in your car. Just buy quality stuff and you will thank yourself.

I myself have a 2003 BMW with Harmon Kardon speakers and I did not change them out. They sound great and I have only added a JL 10W7 sub (sealed) with a JL amp. Sounds so clean.

Silver Member
Username: Makinblak

Monroe/Little Rock, La/Ar

Post Number: 947
yes, it is very important to buy quality. A couple extra bucks will save you tons of aggravation and mediocre sound. Buy it nice or buy it twice!

Also, with many headunits, it is difficult to play any door speakers loud and still have them sound good. If you budget allows, put an amp on those door speakers. I have 6.5" comps from MB Quart with passive crossovers. They are very good budget comps IMO, at only $60 a pair. I then put a MB Quart 640.4 on them and they are loud and clear. The "enclosure" your mid-range drivers are in makes a bid diff too, so look into that.

Gold Member
Username: Loc_out

SoCal

Post Number: 3383
Welcome to the forum, Mr Skullz has some good advice.

Not sure how you feel about buying used equipment. Since your in a budget you will get more bang for your buck. IMO the HU is a no go, only has 2 set of RCA. I might work for you now but later it will need to be replace. Try buying on ebay look for HU with 3 set of RCA. This will allow you to run the fron/back if need it plus sub. Also start with no 6x9 in the back, put more money in the front doors. Amp the front doors too.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us