1 12" Type R or 2 10" Sundown Audio E

Gold Member
Username: Southern_bass

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 2470
im looking for a new setup. each setup would be going in a ported box to specs. ran off a mb quartz onx 1000d. which is the better setup

Gold Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 1684
What vehicle?

Silver Member
Username: Makinblak

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 871
2x 10" IMHO

Gold Member

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 2471
1997 f-150 single cab. backed out on buying the mb quartz. gonna try to get a little bit of a better amp. only thing i have in now is a kenwood excelon cd player and alpine type r coaxials. had 3 10" re se's sealed on a us amps merlin md2d for my last setup, then took them out and ported 2 of them. sold the system a couple years ago and its time to get something back in there

Gold Member

Post Number: 1685
Expect to need a net volume of 2 cubes for 1 12" or about 2.2-2.4 cubes for 2 10", if you have the space for both options then choose what you like best, the MB quart is ok for those subs but it doesn't hurt to get something nicer if you have the money.

Gold Member

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 2472
i have the space for either. i can get to right around 2.5 but dont wanna do any more than that. in theory the 2 10"s option with the same power would be a little louder to the ear with the cone area wouldnt it?

Gold Member

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 2473
and for right now im probably just going to run the mb quart. eventually ill be upgrading to components in the front and when i get those and an amp to power the components ill probably be getting a better sub amp. just running without a system for so long has me wanting to put something in for right now

Gold Member

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 2474
heres the space im working with , btw

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b537/cmw5e/behindseat_zpsc6745215.jpg

Gold Member

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 2475
im thinking about doing a 12" alpine type r with aero ports. i put everything into a box calculator and i was gonna see if everything i got seems okay.

14 tall x 42 long x 9 deep

gross volume 2.20

1.96 net volume

1 4" aero port at 14 inches long for 32 hz

6.47 port area / ft

i didnt think this was enough but i couldnt get calculations right if i did a 6" aero

if i make the 4" port longer it throws the tuning off so if anyone could chime in it would be greatly appreciated

Gold Member

Post Number: 1686
In your type of vehicle this type of box gets done, in your case would be smaller, these are for space hungry kicker 12s so you should be able to achieve a smaller box :

Upload

Upload

At least 9 square inches per cube of net volume of port area for pipe ports.

Gold Member

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 2476
i couldnt pullup the specs on alpine but on another website it says the new type r only calls foe 1.5 to 2.0 cubic foot so it would be smaller than the above. should i try to do 2 3" ports for more port area?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1687
The new SWR-12D2/12D4 are recommended 1.0-1.5 cubes 12.5 square inches of port, incredibly tight spec for a 12" so a 1.5 cubes net and 2 3" ports would be in their range. Look for the manual around.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1688
BTW you would need the dual 2 ohm cols version for a 1 ohm stable amp.

Gold Member

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 2477
i couldnt download the manual from the alpine website for some reason but i looked at crutchfield and it has the most info about them that ive found. im curious why they would call for such a small box for a normal size 12? i know its a little better than the previous models with a 20 xmax and 2.6" voice coil. on the sonic electronics website it says 1.0 - 2.0 cubic foot. would it hurt anything leaning toward the 2.0 cubic foot or should i try to get right at 1.5?

Gold Member

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 2478
with my current measurements my box came out to 1.55 net with 1 4" port firing out the side at 17 inches long for 33 hz and 12.56 in^2 of port area

Gold Member

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 2479
sorry to be asking all these questions joe but you seem like a very knowledgeable guy and i wanna get my box right. would the 1 4" port out the side or 2 3" ports firing up work better for me?

http://www.psp-inc.com/tools.html

i used that and put in 2 3" ports and it got 18 inches. im guessing thats combined or is that each port?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1689
You can view or download the sub manual from here:

http://www.manualowl.com/m/Alpine/SWR-12D2/Manual/288736

I have not done modeling on it nor have any reference of someone trying it in larger boxes at or beyond rated power, if you are going to be giving above rated power, staying within their net volume range likely would the safer bet.

The side firing port is regarded by many as nicer sounding but requires that the port external end has at least one diameter of unobstructed airspace in front of it, so that limits the width of the box you can use.

Lastly if you are doing two ports each has to have in your case 18", this has to be the case or one could just open 20 holes in a box 0.75" in length and expect that to be equivalent of a single 15" long port.

Gold Member

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 2480
the only thing that worries me is my box is going to only be about 8.5 or 9 deep so that means my side cuts will be 7.5 inches and the precision 4" port ive found has an outside diameter of 7 1/4 to mount to the outside of the box. could i just get a piece of 4" pvc flare the piece that goes inside and smooth mount the regular circular piece coming to the outside?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1690
You can easily do a PVC pipe port, if you want flares are available separately, but that port would end up probably near the sub and port area would be rather lacking. This can also be done:

Upload

Gold Member

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 2481
im no good with configuring the slot ports, i really dont understand them. is there anyway you could configure one for me? like we said i need it around 1.5 cubic foot with max dimensions 42 long, 14 tall, and 9 deep

Gold Member

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 2482
also, from reading other forums ive heard a lot of great things about the sundown sa. same box and same setup do you think it would perform better enough to pay the few extra bucks

Gold Member

Post Number: 1692
The Sundown SA-12 will fit nicely in a 2-2.1 cubic feet enclosure, is a 600W subwoofer known to take above rated power probably 850W would be achievable, I think the 12D2 can take more power than the SA-12 around 1300W at least. You should hear them both to make your mind on what you prefer as far sound. If sound quality is important to you a Fi SSD 12 would be easily better than the other two it can easily handle 1500W, costs a few dollars above 200.

And sure I can provide you enclosure specs for the sub you pick.

Gold Member

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 2483
actually the fi ssd was my first choice but i havent had any luck contacting them. i havent heard one in person but have heard great things. if i could get in touch with fi and get something worked out i would love to try it

Gold Member

Post Number: 1694
You can order it online on their site, not aware you have to contact them directly unless you have questions.

Gold Member

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 2484
i read on another forum where they are moving warehouses and orders are taking a really long time. only reason im needing it a little quicker is the shop that did my paint job is having a car show and wanting me to bring my truck and id like to have a system put in there for it. and from what ive gathered orders have been taking about 1 month - 1 month and a half

Gold Member

Post Number: 1695
They are usually slow, custom made stuff usually is, don't know about the warehouses deal, guess you'll have decide.

Gold Member

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 2485
theres multiple issues ive read under the fi section on soundssolution forum and i just dont think its worth it honestly. too much negativty being heard about them right now.

Gold Member

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 2486
i stopped at a local shop and they have a 12" incriminator lethal injection he said hed give me for $200. is it worth it to try?

Silver Member
Username: Makinblak

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 873
might as well. if you don't like it, sell it and get something else. then you will know what a IA lethal injection sounds like lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 1698
IAs are good for getting loud rather than for sound quality.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us