My bass fades out when the volume is too high.

Username: Luminis

Post Number: 3
I have two memphis audio street reference subs, 12 inches.
My speakers are two pairs of Alpine SPS-619s,
And my amp is a Pioneer GM-3500t.

I got this all installed by a professional car audio shop. I want to figure out what the problem is before I drive all the way back there. The bass is fine when the volume is at a reasonable level, but when I try to turn up the volume bass fades and you can barely tell there is any. And there was one time when the treble was muffled and starting to become fairly faint.

It would be greatly appreciated if someone could give me some advice. Thanks in advance.

Gold Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 1653
Where are the speakers connected to and what HU do you have?

Post Number: 4
I have the speakers at the bottom of the two front doors, then two behind the rear seats. I have a stock headunit. Sorry I forgot to mention that.

Post Number: 5
And I am driving a 2011 Nissan Sentra, idk if that helps at all though.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1654
The location of the speakers could be anywhere, the question was if the speakers are connected the stock HU or to the amplifiers for example.

One other thing is if this started to happen or it was happening since the install.

Post Number: 6
The speakers are connected to the stock head unit, and this was happening since the install.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1656
Ok there could be a number of reasons for this happening, one of the likely reasons is that the original speakers were higher impedance compared to the aftermarket ones, say the stock speakers were 6 ohm and the aftermarket ones are 4 ohm. Or the HU limiting bass at higher volume to protect the original speakers.

To make sure each speaker is in it's own channel you should be able to both fader and balance, connecting more than one speaker to the same channel can also create issues.

If this just functions like that then likely you would need to continue your upgrade by changing the stock HU to an aftermarket one, best, one that has independent subwoofer outputs, and this needs not to be that expensive:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_60596_Pioneer-DEH-150MP.html

Now the other thing to check is that the subs are connected independently to each of the amplifier's channels and NOT paralleled and that the amplifier is powered correctly, it should have a power line directly connected to the battery.

Post Number: 7
I had another question that is not relevant to my first post. My friend has a single 10 inch sub power by 1400w amp. His bass is a lot better than mine, how would I go about increasing my bass? I am assuming it is because I have such a weak amp? If this is right what kind of amp should I replace it without? I really enjoy my bass by the way, but then I do not want to drown out all the lyrics and everything. If anyone can help me out it'd be greatly appreciated.

Post Number: 8
I'm pretty sure my friend's amp was made by Boss by the way, if that helps any.

Gold Member
Username: Rideredder

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 2054
What kind of sub did your friend have? Boss amps are garbage.

Post Number: 9
My friend has a 10" kicker sub, I'm not quite sure about the exact model or anything.

Post Number: 10
Can anyone help me please?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1670
There is not enough infos to tell you why are you doing so bad, the usual suspect is the box being misdesigned and you should be sourcing 200 RMS to each sub, for a complete system makeover get Sundown E12 subs are in the price range of those memphis and will perform better than the kickers as well.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Your input is much appreciated.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1671
If you want your box to be checked post it's external dimensions and the internal dimensions of the port (if ported) height, width and length.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us