Joe Durkahm (sub box help)

Bronze Member
Username: Trpiep01

Post Number: 22
Joe, i was talking to TWiZTiD on here about a setup for under the seat of my pickup, i am pretty certain that i want to go with two 10" audioque SDC2.5 subs, under the back seat of my pickup powered by a AQ1200D Amplifier. he suggested that i talk to you about what to do for a sub box under my seat. i was originally going to go with the fox acoustics box because i have read a lot of good stuff about it. but i was told that you can design a box for different preferences etc. he also suggested i use aero ports.
i dont know the first thing about designing a sub box, i don't even know if i should have them downfiring or upfiring. i was just wondering if i could get some help from you to kind of clear up what i need to do for an enclosure.
i have a 2007 dodge ram quad cab

thanks

Gold Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 1534
Audioque subs will perform horribly in a small ported enclosures, those 2.5s would need about 1.2-1.5 cubes per sub @35Hz, a box with two of those would need about 50 square inches of port area to perform like they should.

If you don't want to take away the rear seats or build a 4th order blowthrough then just go for a quality prefab and use subs that are suitable for the size and type of the enclosure you get. Why? because most of those under the seats enclosures are not beginner's projects at all.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
ok, then i am back to square one. i am looking for something to get loud. i know in a pickup its not going to get incredibly loud.... but you know what i mean. so i don't have the first clue about what i should be looking for

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

Crescendo Audio FTMFW!!, AA Havoc 15 ... Your Mom FTW!!

Post Number: 3830
Well you might just have to go with a box like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGE-RAM-02-09-QUAD-CAB-DUAL-10-INCH-SUB-BOX-ENCLOSURE- /230795119682?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35bc760c42&vxp=mtr

Or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Ram-02-up-Crew-Quad-Cab-Dual-10-Sub-Box-Subwoofer- Enclosure-Grey-/290727553654?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b0b66a76

Its just going to be hard to find a sub that will work well in that small of air space and be able to get loud. I think both of those boxes I linked only have .7cb ft of air space per sub and thats before sub displacement. You may just have to get a box similiar to one of the ones I linked and go with a shallow mount sub or have you thought about just removing your back seat? lol. Let me look around and see if I can find some decent subs that will work well in that small of air space and mounting depth and works well in a sealed enclosre.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3831
I think your best bet is to get this

Box-$97.89
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGE-RAM-02-09-QUAD-CAB-DUAL-10-INCH-SUB-BOX-ENCLOSURE- /230795119682?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35bc760c42&vxp=mtr

2 of these for subs-$275.49
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_39484_JBL-MS-10SD4.html

Amp-$199 +s/h
http://www.audioque.com/AQ750-Amplifier_p_46.html

Or this amp for $219.95
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_12248_JBL-GTO7001.html

But if you went with that JBL amp for those JBL subs you would have to get the dual 2ohm subs.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3832
You may want to try some of this since that box is so small.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=260-317

If it was my system I would go with that box,the 2 10" JBL dual2ohm subs and the JBL GTO7001 for the amp. Im not a fan of Audioque amps I have had a bad personal experience with one so I hate reccomending them to people but I do b/c it seems like Im the only one that has anything bad to say about the AQ amps. But its your money and your setup so choose whatever you think you will like best. As for the JBL subs,I dont think you will find a better sub for you small sealed box application. JBL makes great products and those subs were the first ones I thought of when I was thinking of a sub to work well in a small sealed enclosure.

Anyways I hope helped a little. Good luck with everything! If you have any questions or concerns,Ill be here since it seems like Im the only person that is posting on this forum as of lately lol. Or like Ive said before join some other car audio websites and ask for some other peoples opinions. Maybe someone on another forum with more experience than me can reccomend you something better or give you better ideas.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1539
Travis, ext cabs and the likes are loud vehicles.. really loud vehicles frequently hitting upper 140s but not with those ridiculous mini enclosures.. if you want better bass than the front stage gives and just that go get some prefab.. Check out the JL stealth boxes if you are really wealthy.

If you want a real loud and low setup forget the mini enclosures (usually sealed).. no one has liked them overtime despite many efforts adding poly, changing subs and whatever. You have to mod. So just make sure to know how to invest you money.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
ok, well i use my backseat and my box all the time so i think my best option is to go under the seat. i know they can't get extremely loud without a lot of airspace but i don't know the first thing about this stuff so all of this is helping A LOT

thank you a bunch

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
also, wondering why to go dual 2ohm?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1540
Since most sub amps these days are stable at 1 ohm, dual 2 (coils wired in parallel) is good for a single sub system and dual 4 are good for a dual sub system.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
ok, i think i want to go with two subs so, dual 4 ohm?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1545
Yes dual 4 for a 1 ohm stable amp, if you decide for a specific prefab manufacturer ask them for a list of subs that they recommend for the enclosure you pick.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SD-2-10D4-SUNDOWN-AUDIO-SLIM-MOUNT-10-DUAL-4-OHM-SUBWOOF ER-SHALLOW-SERIES-SUB-/130592086758?pt=Car_Subwoofers_Enclosures&hash=item1e67e5 1ae6
what do you think of sundown audio? would this be a better fit for under the seat? something that will get loud?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1548
Those are nice subs are rated for 0.5 cubic feet sealed so likely will work on those small enclosures, maybe use poly-fill on them.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
alright there are also some SA that are higher RMS. are those not as good for small enclosure?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1551
the SA-10 is physically bigger and it displaces more space inside the box, it's not a lot, use it or not will depend on the internal volume of the enclosure you get. Is just 100W more.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
http://www.foxacoustics.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=DQC-210-V
this is the sub box i want to get

Gold Member

Post Number: 1553
Well that is basically 0.6 cubes per side subtract 0.1 cubes of driver displacement and you get 0.5, which is what sundown recommends for net volume on sealed. Stuff polyfill or maybe Dacron inside if it sounds peaky to you.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
that is a ported box i believe tho. it blows out the back.... should i not go with a ported box?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
also it said that it is divided and has 1.2 cubic foot per side. i'm not sure if thats right.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1554
Right Travis, it has rear firing 35Hz tuned independent ported chambers, sorry, now I have checked the big pics, by all means go with ported, It seems it has rather low port area so ask them if you will get some port noise with the Sundowns or if it makes sense to get lower displacement subs.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
ok i really appreciate you helpin me out so much. i would be completely lost trying to get this stuff on my own.
appreciate ya sharing your knowledge and experience!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1560
Ok Travis, you know, you were in the right track, I have been able to help more in other threads..lol.. but glad to come around and do what I could, anyways if you get the time let me know how you liked your setup or if you have any other issues also let us know..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
alright guys! i know it has been a long time since i have updated you. but i finally ordered my stuff and most of it has came in (just waiting on the box). I went with 2 Sundown Audio SA-10s. A Hifonics Brutus BRZ1200.1D. A 0 gauge wiring kit. And a Fox Acoustics Ported box. for under the back seat of my pickup.

i wish i could tell you that i had it all hooked up and that i love it, but i would really like to hook everything up and set it up by myself. i have no idea how to hook up the subs to the box if that makes sense. i know how to run all the power cables and everything from the back of the stereo. I just need help on wiring the actual subs to the box itself.

Silver Member
Username: Makinblak

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 854
I am assuming you got the dual 4-ohm subs in order to wire to 1 ohm. The box will have terminals on it to connect your sub to. Just get some speaker wire (18-14 gauge), run both pos. of left sub to the pos. left terminal. Run both neg. of left sub to neg. terminal. The terminals on either the box or the sub will most likely require these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Red-Spade-Terminals-Male-female-crimps-crimp-x-50-/280 435855457?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item414b479061
Its pretty much self-explanatory.
Now repeat process with right sub. now run each box terminal POS to amp pos, each box terminal NEG to amp neg.

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 855
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Red-Spade-Terminals-Male-female-crimps-crimp-x-50-/280 435855457?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item414b479061

fixed

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 856
just to let you know, these come in different sizes of blade and different sizes of cable. just make sure you get the right size.

Also, there will for sure be someone that says you should run sub's coil 1 to the box terminal, and run sub's coil 1 pos to coil 2 pos on same sub. Same with Neg. Either way, you get the same thing. DO NOT CONNECT SUBS TOGETHER INSIDE THE BOX WITH ANY WIRE FOR ANY REASON. Your amp is a mono block, so it would not really matter if you did do this since the signal going to them will be the exact same anyway, coming from the same output channel on amp. This is strictly to separate the subs electrically and you could turn one off by unplugging it or you can tell which one is making funny noise and\or smell.

Also, you WILL need to upgrade your electrical system to get the full benefit of that amp. If you do not upgrade, your system voltage will drop and your amplifier will clip, or send "dirty" DC power to your sub, which will fry the sub even though you are not sending the sub the maximum WRMS. You should be able to get away with just adding another high-quality marine battery (Stinger, Optima, Sears Diehard) dedicated to the audio system. Do some research on upgrading the "big 3" of your electrical system and be sure to secure all your grounds and power to proper points (No problem if you run a dedicated battery in back seat). just run your 0 gauge pos from the rear batt to the front batt and then to the alt, and run your rear batt neg to front batt neg. Then run your front batt ground (0 gauge) to the chassis and to the engine block.

Someone check me on this

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 153 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 17321
www.bcae1.com

www.the12volt.com

u will find all the info u ever need in those 2 sites ....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
is that to wire it to 1 ohm?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina America

Post Number: 14804
Having read the original post, consider using a single 10" sub, under the seats, in a ported enclosure, using an aero-port. This gives you move box volume for that sub, and the aero port allows for a physically smaller port to be sued so it can be fit under the seat without running into issues with length and diameter. I'd tune the box's port to about 31Hz and drive the sub with the 1200d. 1200 watts to a single 10" sub with dual 2 ohm coils will give you a crapload of bass. Remember, double the power will yield the same output as going from one sub to two subs, so you aren't losing anything by doing this, and going from sealed to ported also yields a gain of 3 to 5dB.

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 858
I was going to suggest 1 12" ported under the seats, but Glass knows his stuff!

What equipment are you dead-set on using as of now??

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
Well here is the deal I have already bought two sundown audio sa-10s. A fox acoustics ported box and a hifonics brutus 1200d mono block amplifier. I just need to know how to wire the subwoofers to the box for a one ohm setup. Other than that I can wire the rest. I dont know where I would wire another battery strictly for the audio system though. I don't know how or where I would mount the extra battery and hook it up.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1644
Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
Thank you joe. So should I just go to one speaker terminal? The box has two

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 860
The pos and neg on far left of pic is the amp's output. Reference my earlier post for a fail-proof way to get 1ohm. and if in doubt about anything, visit the websites rovin recommended

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 861
Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
so i just need to wire both positives from one subwoofer to the left pos box terminal. both negatives from one speaker to the left negative box terminal.
and then same thing on the other subwoofer only to the right terminal?

Correct? for a 1 ohm setup?

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 862
yes. How many cubes per sub that box got? you got the specs?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
http://www.foxacoustics.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=DQC-210-V
there is the website. the box is divided with 1.2 cubic feet per side

Username: Bangbang

Post Number: 2
kicker L7 hit hard in fairly small sealed boxes wich are cheap they work good in my friends toyota tacoma with 1000 watt amp i wish i had your problem mine sucks im afraid of braking boxes appart

Username: Bangbang

Post Number: 3
if you can fit kicker L7 subs in a small box and get them under your seat it will be loud sealed box can be small half the size of ported and sound better two it will be lound my friends is

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 866

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
ok i have everything hooked up, how should i set my amp? idk what settings i should put it on..... i want it to be loud!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us