How to move more air in a Nissan Sentra?

Bronze Member
Username: Ecarsten

Currituck, NC US

Post Number: 12
I have a 12" sealed subwoofer in my trunk and it hits pretty hard, but I don't feel it as much as I did in my old SUV. I know that I won't be able to reach the same level of air movement that I had in my SUV, but I'd like to try and improve the the air movement as much as possible.

I've thought about switching to a ported box, but would that make much of a difference or are there other modifications I could make to my car to improve the air movement from my sub?

Silver Member
Username: John253a

Aust.

Post Number: 117
depends on the sub,
not all sub work in ported boxes

first tell us
what amp you have?
what sub you have?
what size box you have at moment/thickness of wood?
how much space are you willing to give up/have to use?
what car do you have?

once we no all of this we can help
if you want louder yes ported in most situations is louder
but have you considered a 4th order or 6th order ported through rear parcel shelf into cabin? this will be the loudest by far as all of the air movement will be in the cabin and not the trunk

Bronze Member

Currituck, NC US

Post Number: 13
what amp you have? JL Audio 250W mono
what sub you have? Memphis Car Audio 12"
what size box you have at moment/thickness of wood? I don't know the thickness, but the box is 13x13x13 inches
how much space are you willing to give up/have to use? I'm willing to give up any amount of space that I have to in the trunk.
what car do you have? I have a 2005 4-door Nissan Sentra

What's a 4th order or 6th order ported through rear parcel shelf?

Gold Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 1321
A ported box sub/port front or back is simple and can give excellent results, if you want a design to build yourself just specify the series of the sub and I will provide one for you.

Bandpass (4th,6th) enclosures are hard to get right, reserved for skilled builders, also are usually gigantic.

Bronze Member

Currituck, NC US

Post Number: 17
What do you mean by series? It's a Memphis car audio power reference single voice coil.

Silver Member

Aust.

Post Number: 121
joe means what is make and mdl + year of sub/subs

Silver Member

Aust.

Post Number: 122
all i no about this sub is limited but from what ive heard 3-3.5cuft tuned to 30hz seems to work the best

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

Crescendo Audio FTMFW!!, AA Havoc 15 ... Your Mom FTW!!

Post Number: 3805
Switching to a ported box will get you louder but you cant expect that much out of a single 12" on 250w. If you want to keep the equipment you have then go ported,thats about the only thing you can do to get louder with what you have. You could always upgrade your sub/amp or get another 12" the same as the one you have. But I would recommend you get a bigger amp and a beefier sub(s). If you want to upgrade post your budget and someone on here can give you some options for getting louder. And switching from an SUV to a trunk will definitely change to sound/loudness of your system. Like I said try a ported box built to your subs specs for a quick fix and you could ride with your back seats folded down,if they do fold down,and actually Ive noticed in trunk cars if you remove your rear speakers it allows a little air to move in to your car and will make it sound a tad louder. But I would recommend just upgrading your system to get louder.

Bronze Member

Currituck, NC US

Post Number: 18
Would going from my one 250W 12" to two 150" 12" make much of a difference? A friend of mine is trying to sell me a pair of 12" Kicker 10C124s

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 3257
^those kicker comps suck. if you go from one 12" sealed to 2 12" ported then yes it would make a big difference. just make sure you have enough power to make use out of the 2 woofers.

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 3258
if going ported, generally big box tuned lower and lots of port area. may sound like poo but will move some air lol

Gold Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 1339
Hope your friend is selling them for real cheap, will take up more space and 150W is really low this days for most 12" subs.

I wouldn't really bother building a big box for those.

Bronze Member
Username: Mlstrass

Illinois

Post Number: 49
2 12's or a single 15 and 1200-1500watts will move some air, but don't expect it to be a wind tunnel.

I run a single 18 in my Altima off 4kw and it moves decent air...

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 153 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 17249
ported wud definitely be louder than sealed ...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us