Please help me with a sub setup

Username: Blackdynamite

Post Number: 1
I have a Kicker KX500.2 amp. The specs on it are:
4 ohms Stereo 125 x 2
2 ohms Stereo 250 x 2
4 ohms Mono 500 x 1

My car is a 2001 Cadillac Deville (pretty big trunk). My head unit is a Pioneer AVH-P3200BT.

I also have a Kenwood KAC 6401 amp for the highs and mids. The specs on it are:
30 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms
40 watts RMS x 4 at 2 ohms
80 watts RMS x 2 bridged output at 4 ohms.

I have the Kenwood amp running in 4 channel, 4 ohm, to 4 door speakers (Rockford Fosgate R152 5.25" in the back, Rockford Fosgate R152-S 2-Way 5.25" in the front).

I had 2 12" Kicker CVR dual 4 ohm in a sealed box for subs. They were connected up so the sub amp was running in the 4 ohm mono mode. These speakers blew recently. They just stopped working and have that "blown" smell. This amp and these speakers were actually sitting in my basement for years, after being used in a previous car I used to own. They sounded good back then for a couple years of use. They only lasted a couple days this time around though.

I replaced them with a pair of cheap 12" Hifonics HFi12D4 in that same sealed box. This was only meant to be a temporary measure as I knew these speakers were too cheap to last (only paid $60 for the pair brand new). They only lasted one day, lol. Sounded decent for a couple hours but then cut out with that same "blown" smell.

Now I am looking to get something that will last. I want something that hits the lowest of lows, and is loud. I am thinking 2 15" something or others. I was initially thinking 2 15" L7s in a ported or bandpass box. But I have been reading some pretty bad reviews so it kind scared me off of them.

Now I'm thinking about a pair of 15" Rockford Fosgates in a bandpass box. Or maybe a pair of 15" Alpines in a bandpass.

What should I get? I need suggestions for the subs, suggestions for the box, and even blueprints to build the thing if possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 1107
Ok welcome;

1) Those hifonics are dual 4 ohm, How did you wire them to the amp?? I am curious since unless something is going wrong with your system those subs would have enough power handling not to blow.

2) 2 15" will require something like an 8 cubic feet, what are the external dims you have available.

Post Number: 2
1: The Hifonics were wired up to the amp as 2 seperate channels, 2 ohms each. So each speaker was on its own channel, with the voice coils of that speaker connected together in parallel (pos to pos, neg to neg). They are rated to be able to handle it, but when you feel them they only weigh a pound or 2 each. They look mean, but its a hollow shell. The magnet is really a screen, with a small magnet inside. So they are cheap, but they look nice and have some nice numbers printed on them. Just made for looks I guess, lol. They did sound okay for a couple hours though.

2: The dimensions I have available are (looking into the trunk from behind the car) aprox (w)39" x (d)45" x (h)17.5". It's probably an inch or 2 more than that on each dimension, but I like to leave a little room in case I need to pull it out someday to fix a flat tire or whatever.

On the depth, I would prefer to go as shallow as possible. I still want it to sound as good as possible, so this is only a secondary concern, but I would like to keep it shallow so I still have some trunk space if needed.

Thanks for your help. I know I probably sound like a moron asking questions that you guys probably think are basic. So I would much rather ask these questions in a place like this instead of the local stereo shop where they will undoubtedly just try to sell me whatever they can make the most money on.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1108
Ok, I guess that you could have blown those Hifonics but the CVRs are 400 RMS and you could only source 250W RMS a piece... I was wondering if you have experienced overheating on the amp or lights dimming and also do you know what gauge is the power cable going to the amp?? and also did you experienced some distorted sound through the subs??

So on the suggestions for subs and box I will say you can easily fit 2 15"s and have some space to spare in a ported configuration, on those dims you have the following volumes:

External = 17.7 cuft
Gross internal =15.1 cuft

What's your max budget for those two 15"s??

Post Number: 3
On those Kickers, I actually only blew one of them. The other one still works. They both stopped working because they were connected together in series (presenting the amp with a mono 4 ohm load). So when the one blew, they both cut out. But the hifonics both blew.

The power cable is 4 guage from the battery to a power distro block, and 8 guage coming off of that distro to each of the 2 amps. No light dimming or anything like that. Also no amp cutting out, over heating (that I have noticed anyway), or distortion.

The budget is somewhere around $500 or $600. It isn't really set in stone. I'm trying to go as cheap as possible, but I don't really want to sacrifice quality in the name of a few bucks either.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1109
If you are looking for very high quality subwoofers take a look at the Fi SSD15 they are 1000W RMS each, hit low and are $ 224.00 each.

I could go lower or above in price, when you pick your subs we can get to the box (nevermind you don't have space problems).

Post Number: 4
The Fi SSD15 looks pretty cool. I had never heard of them before, had to do a search. The only thing that concerns me about them is they are either dual 1 or 2 ohm. I was hoping for a dual 4. That way I have more options for connecting it. I could make the dual 1's work in a series to get to 4 ohms mono. But I was hoping for something that would work if I upgrade my amp in the future to one that is 2 ohm mono.

On another note, what do you think of the F1 SSD18? Do you think a couple of those would work in my space? I'm certainly not against getting 18s if I can make the price and space work. I wonder how they would do in a bandpass or isobaric?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1110
Dual SSD18"s would be a tight fit and therefore maybe leading to some boxy tight sound, not that can't be done but I think the 15"s would be working best on 4cubic@33Hz each that would translate as follows:

H: 17.5 in
W:38.15 in
D: 34 in

That would make use of 13.136 cubic feet leaving some space for an extra battery, amps and else as you continue your upgrade path overtime. It's just an opinion of mine I can try for 18s or whatever.

Regarding the impedance of the subs, as you get to higher power amps you will notice that those can achieve lower impedance stability most frequently 1 ohm these days. Above 1K you see systems operating most frequently on 1 and even 0.5 ohm.

Post Number: 5
Sounds good. I'll have to make a foam model to make sure I can get it in and out of the trunk opening. What about the ports, do they need to be a specific size, shape, location, etc?

Thanks again for your help. This has been exactly what I needed.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1115
No problem BlackDynamite, yes the ports have to be if specific size of course, the dimensions I gave you already account for the size of the port, the thickness of the wood, etc.

One other thing to note is that I can change them within some limits, also to consider is that the port or ports need to have some breathing room in front of them, with your type of vehicle usually the best results are achieved with front firing subs and ports so a few inches would need to be considered if you choose that option. Just give me some dims that will fit trough. Also consider how you want your amps to be installed, some space for an extra battery if you ever consider to add one and all of that before setting some final dimensions.

Post Number: 6
Okay cool.

I'm pretty sure it should go in and out with no problems, but I'll get a sheet of foam from Home Depot after work today and make a "box" and see if I can get it in and out.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 153 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 17116
i suspect u have the gain on the kicker amp set too high to be blowing subs that easily

since ur amp does 500wrms bridged @ 4 ohms

i suggest 2 15s for the space u have , (2) dual 4ohms subs so u can wire both to 4ohms , each sub shud have a 200-250wrms each rating

or a single 15" or 18" dual 2 ohms wired to 4ohms

Fi X wud be a nice single sub option

or _ (2) Sound Solutions Audio 15" 300W Dual 4-Ohm DCON Series Subwoofers

wouldnt recommend sealed , bandpass boxes or most prefab boxes - go with slotport or aeroported boxes\enclosures instead ...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17117
or

187-15 D4 â€" Incriminator Audio 15" 300W Dual 4-Ohm 187 Series ...

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com

Post Number: 7
What's an aeroported box? I haven't heard of that yet. Is that just a regular round port?

Silver Member
Username: Alonzoub

Orlando, Florida

Post Number: 356
Yes but typically with flared ends, such as http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=268-352

Gold Member

Post Number: 1127
Right aero ported boxes use pipe ports, they are much cleaner sounding than slot ported boxes but since ports come in specific diameters and limited lengths not all designs will easily fit aeros specially if you are looking for low tuned smaller boxes, typically the proper port won't fit the box. One big advantage of areos is that you can easily change the tuning of your box.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17118
aeroports are alot more simpler to work with & take up less cuft too ...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us