Amp w/o backplate?

Silver Member
Username: Alonzoub

Orlando, Florida

Post Number: 347
So I got my hands on a fantastic deal recently, I didn't really need it but I couldn't pass it up.

I bought an Image Dynamics Q1200.1 monoblock amplifier for $100 shipped. There was a sight catch, the amp was missing all of the set-screws for power/ground/remote/speaker terminals AND the amp is missing the backplate that hides the "guts". I was able to get a new set of set-screws for all of the terminals at Home Depot for like $5 so thats good, problem now is I don't know if it is safe for the life of the amplifier to run it without the backplate.

Heres pix
Upload
Upload
Upload

The other amp is an AQ2200D that was in my car before. So basically my question is, if I run the amp without the back plate but it will be screwed to the top of the box so the guts will be "hidden", do you think this can cause harm to the amp?

Side Note: I have been emailing Image Dynamics for about 2 weeks and at first they seemed like they would be able to help me by selling me a spare backplate for $20 + s/h but they stopped answering emails for the past cpl days and idk wtf is goin on.

Silver Member
Username: Shopvac

Post Number: 119
You can measure and cut a peice of sheet metal, spray paint it and use it as the back plate, dont see any harm in that...or even a peice of plexi or any thin sheet of material. wont cost $20 bucks

Gold Member
Username: Jtown

Texas

Post Number: 4020
^this.

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

Crescendo Audio FTMFW!!, AA Havoc 15 ... Your Mom FTW!!

Post Number: 3775
An amp without a back plate or whatever you want to call it is useless.

You should just send it to me.

Gold Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 2097
lol

Silver Member

Orlando, Florida

Post Number: 348
Yep, that was my first thought too, i said to myself... "well its just black sheet metal so i can make my own back plate...". Then i realized i have no idea where to get sheet metal, nor how to cut it. So i made this thread.

While making my own backplate is a very possible/likely option, no one thinl running it just bare is a good idea?

Oh and twiz, ill trade u the Q1200 for the receiver in that pawnshop ;)

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11934
You could run it without, should be fine as long as it is mounted to something so dirt doesn't get in there. Or the sheetmetal idea would work. Or a piece of plexiglass for visible guts.

But do NOT mount an amp to a speaker box... that is very bad for it.

Silver Member

Orlando, Florida

Post Number: 349
If you don't mind LikeARock, why is it a bad idea? I'm not trying to disagree with you, but I just don't understand what could go wrong when mounting an amp to a box. The only thing I could think of would be some sort of resonance causing internals to "vibrate" out of place but I didn't think that was too likely.

If I can find a cool/cheap way to use plexi and incorporate LED's for a gut show then ill try for that; however, as of now I can't think of anywhere to put it but on top of the box with some rubber dampers.

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

Crescendo Audio FTMFW!!, AA Havoc 15 ... Your Mom FTW!!

Post Number: 3776
"Oh and twiz, ill trade u the Q1200 for the receiver in that pawnshop"

Hey if I had the extra $199 that receiver would be mine! I still cant beleive the price on that. They are crazy. They had Sony ones marked higher than the Denon.

Gold Member
Username: Loc_out

SoCal

Post Number: 3334
I would buy some Plexi and call it a day. Show off the amp guts.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 5514
Street signs...nice thick aluminum. And Free.

Silver Member
Username: Shopvac

Post Number: 122
"Street signs...nice thick aluminum. And Free.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us