Small Budget Build Help

Gold Member
Username: Jtown

Texas

Post Number: 4004
Hey fellas, glad to see that some of you are still active posters.

I've been out of the game for a minute and need some suggestions/opinions. I'm looking to keep the cost below $500. Just browsing through woofersetc and looking through the bandwagon products from the past, I've somewhat narrowed my choices down.

What I want:
1-3 10" woofers (slightly broad I know, I'll probably decide this after I find an amp)
300-500watt amp (I'd like to get a 4 channel or 5 channel for future expansion)
I'm sticking with the stock radio for now and I'll likely use a clarion line driver I bought off someone off E a few years back.

The woofers I'm considering:

Alpine R
Sundown SD-2
JL W0
Mmats P2.0

I've picked all of these for the price point and rms requirements and ohm configs.

I'll also probably be going sealed, if ported I'm looking at 35-39hz.

I wanted to get matching amps if I ended up getting a dedicated sub amp and dedicated comp amp, however Mmats doesn't exactly offer an affordable comp amp.

Amps:

Mmats M600.1D or M600.2D
US Amps XT800.2 or XT800.4
Sundown SAX 100.4D or 125.2
RE Audio XT-800.2v2
Looking at the Alpine MRP series amps
Kicker amps would be the last option

Thanks in advance.

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 4470
"I'm sticking with the stock radio for now and I'll likely use a clarion line driver I bought off someone off E a few years back."

That would be me.

Silver Member
Username: Alonzoub

Orlando, Florida

Post Number: 339
May want to check out this little package deal that SSA offers: http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/store/products/SSA-Dcon-10D4-%282%29-%252b-Su ndown-Audio-SAX%252d125.2-Combo.html

I have never heard anything bad about the SSA DCON, and that SAX125.2 could be recycled for front-stage duty in-case of upgrades. Just a suggestion.

Silver Member
Username: Lord_huggington

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 533
For sealed/price the Autotek M12 is the best. Joe Durkham modelled a heck of a lot for me in my thread and he found the best response was the M12, but that was also in 1 cubic foot sealed. It's also like $60-$80, 500W RMS. Check out the DCON 15, it has high sensitivity at 92.5ish dB.

Gold Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 1048
This amp:
http://www.audiosavings.com/products/5-Channel-Car-Amplifier/CADENCE-F100-5-1800 -WATT-5-CHANNEL-CAR-AMPLIFIER-NEW/F100-5.aspx

Two of these:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_39835_JL-Audio-10W0v3-4.html

TOTAL $330 - 500W RMS from the two subs at 2 ohm.

You still have 4x100W@4ohm channels for future expansion!

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 4005
Thanks Steve, lol. I've never used it. I bought a new car and now I finally have use for it.

alonzoub, great suggestion but that is a little to close to $500 for me. I still have to buy a few other things that will put me over the $500 mark.

Lord Huggington, I don't want any Autotek/Hifonics products, thanks though. And in the description I mentioned I'm looking for 1-3 10" woofers, not 12"s or 15"s. Thanks anyway.

Joe, how good are Cadence amps? I've never heard/read any reviews on Cadence amps, just their components. Plus I think that amp is kind of ugly...lol. The W0 is cheaper on woofersetc and I think also amazon.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1051
Ok Thieves, nobody is sayng bad things about Cadence as far as I know but do your research obviously, regarding the W0 this is the V3 model the V2 (older) is $20 cheaper on Amazon so get the V2 of course. And yeah maybe that amp could look better, I guess that's why it's so inexpensive..lol.

So 67.79 x 2 + 149.99 = $285.57 Not Bad.

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 4006
Hmm...might have to pay a bit extra... http://www.audiosavings.com/products/5-Channel-Car-Amplifier/RE-Audio-XTX500.5-5 -Channel-1500-Watt-Peak-Car-Amplifier-XTX-500.54-AWG-Amp-Kit/XTX500.5---WK42.asp x

Still debating this Cadence amp though. I just really don't like the way it looks.

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 4007
Does that Cadence amp do a true 500wrms?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1052
You've got all day man do your homework well.. I don't think it will be so overrated to do only 300..

Here's another one still on the cheap, does 350@2 ohm on the sub channel.. does rated ... hope you like the looks:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/product/B00273CGI2

Gold Member

Post Number: 1053
And yet another one:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/product/B003GSLE4O

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 4008
Hmm, I definitely like the look of those two better, though I've never really liked planet audio. And I'll have to see if I have enough space for the soundstream as it is almost two feet long.

What's the story on US Amps/RE Audio these days?

If I go with the XT1600.2V3 and XT800.2V3 I'm limiting myself a bit but it comes out to right at $200. I have always been a fan of RE's older amps. Are the new ones of equal quality?

After looking through the subs again, I have to choose between 1 sub or two, but I think I'd like the higher cone surface than thermal handling. Unfortunately I'm stuck with a 2 or 8 ohm system.

Silver Member
Username: Alonzoub

Orlando, Florida

Post Number: 340
Don't quote me on this because I cannot remember where I read this, but I know (when I was interested in buying a new RE amp recently) that they are not considered anywhere near as good as oldschool RE/US amps, some even claimed they over-rate.

I still stand behind the DCON/SAX combo, I realize its getting pricey but you KNOW you are getting ALL quality there. Heres some other options as far as amps anyway:

If you like the 5-channel route, check this out: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_20765_PowerBass-ASA-1100.5x.html. If you click "Make an Offer" and low ball them, I put in 220 and they counter offered with 230, you only get 3 offers per day so use them wisely lol. As far as I am aware, PowerBass amps do rated. They aren't special, but they get the job done without drama.

Since you considered the RE amp w/ wiring @ 320, Im just going to put the Kicker ZX700.5 out there. Kicker makes quality amps, might be a tad pricey tho.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1055
Ok Thieves so multichannel amps make a neat install and companies cash in on that, here is an alternative with more power, better SQ, and stuff I fully trust:

4x60W@4 ohm RMS or 4x120W@2 ohm RMS:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_23877_MB-Quart-ONX4.60.html

600W@2 ohm RMS Monoblock:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_33008_MB-Quart-FX1.600.html

99.9 +119.9 = 219.8 Still nice..

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 4011
Wow guys, both great suggestions. I was looking through some Kicker combos and they would come out above $350. That Kicker 700.5 is WAY out of my budget, lol.

So right now I'm definitely considering the RE amp combo I suggested. Really considering the MB Quart combo (always been a fan of their stuff). And still keeping in mind that Powerbass. I've heard good things and I really like the finish it has. Both of your suggestions are better than my RE idea being that they produce at 2 ohms, which would be perfect if I got 2 W0s.

Btw you guys have been really helpful, I truly appreciate it.

I guess my next step is figuring out if I want a dual sub setup or single...hmm...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1058
Sharing a given amount of power on two drivers will result in much cleaner output than giving it to a single one no question, unless you can't fit the small box I would recommend two. and you don't like12"s?

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 4012
I do like 12"s. However, I have a Mazdaspeed3 Hatch, there isn't exactly a ton of cargo space to work with to start...lol That's why I was thinking 10"s.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1062
Without a doubt can be 10" but take a look at these:
Dual sealed:
Upload
Ported:
Upload

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 4013
Yeah the box for that Type R is way to big for my liking. I could maybe see a dual 12" box like the first one you posted but I need to figure out where my amps will go. Haven't had too much money lately so I haven't put too much thought into it. I don't want to use the spare tire well for anything car audio and I don't think I want a false floor either.

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 4014
Who's the guy that designs boxes now?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1073
The last builder around was bassman3 you can reach him here:

http://www.dldesignz.com/

Alonzo and myself do design only (look at the build threads around). Most manufacturers provide suggestions in their manuals as a starting point.

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 4015
Ok, thanks Joe, you have been a lot of help. I'll likely just need something real simple for what I want and the space requirements. Still debating, though I had a lot of success and really liked my 3 12" W0s when I had them. So I will likely go with the dual 10"s or 12"s if I can stomach the loss in cargo space.

You up for making a design suggestion?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1083
I can provide a suggestion but are you really up for building it? Most likely you will need to do some angled cuts to save space just as in the pictures I left. If so, the angle in the back, the height and the width of the enclosure are needed. My guess would be to explore sizes with w0s 10" and 12" since you already used them and liked them.

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 4018
True, I went ahead and requested a quote through bassmass3. I'll let you know when I get the quote what I plan on doing.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1094
If you are really on the cheap probably something like this will do:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_10888_Sonic-Sub-Box-2H10-2.7-BLACK.html?from =857-1-2

Sealed is very forgiving.. and you are not caring about going low this time around. Optimal internal gross volumes for sealed are as follows:

10w0v2 Vgross = 1,159 cuft per chamber.
12w0v2 Vgross = 1,423 cuft per chamber.

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 4021
Yea I've been considering that box and a couple on amazon/PE/woofersetc. The sonicelectronix box is a little deep for my liking but things are still up in the air. If I can get the custom box I requested a quote for for a reasonable price I may be doing that. Otherwise I'll be searching for a box that better fits my footprint preferences.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us