Infinite Baffle Subs?

Silver Member
Username: Allthingsfresh

Post Number: 177
Hey guys, so i'm starting to piece together a decent and which would be my first sound quality system. I have a small list of subs that i'm interested in and am hoping would work well in an infinite baffle setup. But first off, let me list the other components that will be going into it... HU- Pioneer Dex-P99RS, Tweets- ScanSpeak Illuminator D3004/6020, Midrange- Hybrid Audio L4, Midbass- Peerless 830667.. MB Quart DSC2150, MB Q4.150; The sub amp will be determine after i chose the subs but something like 600rms@1 or 4ohm.. The amps are pretty budget friendly amps for now, but plan to move on to more high end Arc Audio or DLS amps in the future. Okay on to the subs. I want to do 3 12's behind my rear seat. Mainly deciding between the Dayton Audio HO12($150), Dayton Titanic MKIII($160), TC Sounds Epic($190), and FI IB3($190). My budget for the subs is $600. I don't know how loud this will be, but i'm guessing it'll be plenty of output for me and hopefully when properly setup sound very nice. I just want to see if anyone has tried any of the above in IB and how the results were. If anyone has any advice, i'd really appreciate it. I hate how i have the hardest time trying to choose the drivers that will play the smallest frequency range, i just want to pick the right one.

Gold Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 1031
Drivers with a Qts above 0.6 are candidates, the Image Dynamics iDMAX can be used for IB, from those you mention the IB3 is a candidate.

WOW on that Pioneer stage 4 HU!

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 6040
I don't know if you have the room/$, but I would do two AE IB15's if you are going that high-end on (most of) the rest. The Illuminator is one of my favorite drivers and it is simply amazing. An 8-ohm version that is fairly similar (the Revelator) is used in some of the most expensive speaker systems in the world. But, it is also probably the most revealing tweeter out there for car, and I am pretty sure you don't want to drive them (or the Hybrid's) with those MB Quarts, and/or listen to MP3's through them. That rig is straight up FLAC and close-to-reference amp territory. Another thing you have to nail is all the crossover points, and slopes. These drivers are extremely finicky. Good luck with this one, I will be interested in seeing what you come up with.

Silver Member

Post Number: 178
Yea i'm just going big and want to have full control over all drivers, stage 4 ! I've been suggested the AE IB15's a few times, and i guess i'd have to wait a few months before i get them? I wouldn't mind waiting.. I won't be playing any mp3's. And yea maybe i should just save a few more hundred for each amp and go with DLS or Arc.. This build will probably take about a year to complete, with buying everything for it so maybe i should just save up right away and go with better amps. So far i've just purchased wiring, rca's, few hundred in sound deadener, all the accessories and etc. I kinda wanted to go with 3 12's but 2 15's does have more cone area, and are cheaper. I just like the look of the lil beefier 12's lol.. Also haven't decided if i want to put my tweets in the a-pillar. Someone once told me it would be too bright if i did that. But not sure if i'm going to have enough room in the kicks for both the mid and tweet.

Silver Member

Post Number: 179
Besides thinking of going with the MB Quart amps, i was thinking of going with a Zed Leviathan II, the only thing i'm concerned about is that it's a class D amp. ALso DLS, i know these amps are great, but the smaller output numbers tell me my drivers would want more power.. I'm sure someone will also tell me otherwise.

Silver Member
Username: Alonzoub

Orlando, Florida

Post Number: 338
As far as the tweets in the a-pillars goes, I did that with my Rainbow Sound-Line tweets (CAL 25 Silk) and they definitely turned out too bright/harsh, although it seems to differ from install to install.

What I am going to do as soon as it stops raining and I get some time, is I am going to take the tweets out of the A-pillars and just try velcro-ing them to a bunch of different locations and just put em through the works to see the location that works best. I am no expert but that is what I would suggest you do before you drill into your A-pillars (like I did ).

Gold Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 1040
Just some thoughts..I wouldn't run anything besides class A/B and would stay at high impedance for SQ, amps should be rated above the speakers power handling, also I would go for a true SQ amp for the front stage right now and upgrade the sub amp later.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us