Acrylic on enclosure

Silver Member
Username: Alonzoub

Post Number: 316
So basically I just wanted to get some opinions on the use acrylic to make a window to look inside a box.

This project may or may not even happen depending on my friends time/money situation in the next couple of weeks.

Its going to be an Alpine Type R 10" v2 in a sealed .6 cuft box. It is going in a (forgot the year) Dodge Dakota Quad Cab and will be getting 300-500wRMS, The box is going to go between the center console and the rear seats and will be down-firing, I forgot to take pictures so I hope you can visualize what I mean.

Basically we wanted to make the box a bit showy by cutting a rectangular area out of the top and replacing it with an acrylic sheet with blue LEDs inside the box. My question is... how thick of acrylic would be necessary to prevent vibrations, we are hoping to keep the cost of the project to a minimum which is why im concerned. The size of the "window" is going to be about 5 3/4" x 9 1/4". Here's a 3D mockup so you can better understand the situation:

In this pic you are looking at the front of the box (up against the back of the center console) and the top that will have the window:
Upload

Front of the box and bottom, subwoofer downfiring.
Upload

Side view.
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Sinful_systems70

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1340
Not sure about acrylic but 3/4 plexi is always OK. Since the area is so small, 1/2 might be OK for you. The smaller the piece, the stronger it is. (for example, break a pencil in half. Easy right, now break a half in half. Gets a little tougher, now break the half of a half of a half. you get the point) 1/2 plexi is not that bad price wise. Its the cutting of it that makes it pricey. Ask them If they have a "drop" big enough for you. A "drop" is a piece they cut off of a big sheet for someone else. They pay cutting fee and you get the scraps for a lot less $$. JMO

Silver Member

Post Number: 320
What kind of places do you suggest for looking for these "drops"? I was just going to order a 1/2" x 12" x 12" sheet and cut it myself but if its not uncommon for some places to have scrap then Im down to look... I just have no idea where to start.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Acrylic = Plexi

Silver Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 991
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acrylic-Plexiglass-clear-1-sheet-3-4-x-6-x-12-/370561449 699?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56472efee3

Not really cheap though.

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1342
My supplier is a glass place called "Greene Glass". They sell all kinds of glass and plexi. They also carry lexan. But lexan, being bullet proof at 1/2 inch thick or thicker, is very very expensive. I am not sure in your area but try places that fix windows or cut/sell glass. Maybe even a local hardware store but they probably wont have 1/2 inch thick or thicker.

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1343
Also, careful cutting Plexi because it will melt and not cut if you are not careful. Also have a good chance of cracking it and that could become costly. Just trying to save you the trouble.

If you have no luck I will call my supplier for a quote, but it will have to get shipped to you and I don't know how much that will cost. Just let me know if you want me to.

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 25242
Yup 1/2" plexi will more than suffice for your needs. The stuff is incredibly strong. I paid about $30 just for my piece in my HT sub. The key is to properly secure it and maintain an airtight seal. It adds an incredible visual that can't be beat. I used 1/2" plexi and neon lights in my sub. Properly secured and sealed and I've never heard air leaks or vibration since enclosure birth.

Silver Member

Post Number: 322
Yea one of my main concerns was melting/cracking when attempting to work with the acrylic, which is another reason price is more of an issue because I want to get extra, in case something goes wrong on the first attempt. I have never worked with acrylic sheet so it is likely that I will mess it up lol.

Paul you have an Fi Q on 1kW for HT right? if that is correct and you used 1/2" without a hitch, Im thinking it might be possible for me to get away with 3/8". Its a 10" Type R on under 500wrms so...

I can get a 3/8" x 12" x 24" sheet for $28 shipped to my house while 1/2" x 12" x 24" would cost me about $41... I know im pinching the pennies pretty hard here but it isn't my money so. The reason im looking at 1ft x 2ft sheets is so I can have plenty of room for error btw.

You guys think 3/8" should be enough?

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 5509
I have some tinted lexan i can let you have for the price of shipping. its like 3/8 thick. I have a a box with it and it shows no sign of damage.

vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YFetU2behc

Silver Member

Post Number: 329
How much you have? And how much wud it cost to ship?

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 5512
I have a 3x2 sheet or so. As far as shipping? idk, maybe 10 15 ish Depends on the size you need.If your interested, get me your address, I will mail it, and send back the shipping or so..Your move.

Silver Member

Post Number: 330
PM'd

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 25245
Marc hooking a brother up.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts