New box, less bass

Silver Member
Username: Theivan

Dawson Creek, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 130
running two JL w3v3's i had them in a ported box running a JL 1000/1. when i moved them to a new box (sealed) that fits under my backseat i had to change my amp eq and still ended up blowing them. now with new w3's i dont want to blow them so im running my old JL 500/1 and is doing fine but think i should be able to get more out of them. is it possible to run the 1000/1 with a sealed enclosure or is it just overkill for the w3s?

Silver Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 731
The subs should hold on the 1000/1 I think you just were bass boosting everywhere you could, you should engage the infrasonic filter and set it at 30Hz that would help the subs.

The other thing you should be aware of is to set your gains correctly, and make sure your power is good, if any device on the signal path clips you risk blowing the subs at higher volume.

You probably know that sealed will never be as loud as ported, in fact one sub on ported is as loud as 2 subs sealed. So maybe you should also consider a new box design.

Lastly there are subs that perform way better on sealed like the Image Dynamics iDMAX.

Silver Member
Username: Theivan

Dawson Creek, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 131
possibly dont need "q" and "c" set then? just the filter itself. never touched gains on head unit..may consider new subs more suited for a sealed enclosure. thanks

Silver Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 732
Take a look at the pic, set the switch and the knob marked in red just as shown.

Upload

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 153 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 17074
going from ported to seal in theory is almost like dropping to 3dbs less in spl level which is said to be 1\2 as loud so maybe thats what happened

u didnt say if its 10" or 12" but either size according to JL's website they say 500wrms is the danger zone , the 13w3 has a higher rating

but even if u have 1000wrms on hand u dont have to use that whole 1000 , set ur gain in such a way that u get the recommend power for them & be careful how u control ur volume level ....

Silver Member
Username: Makinblak

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 753
X3

Gold Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1576
You can run 1,000 rms to the two 10w3's but you'll need to make sure they're seeing right at 1k rms and no more. If the gain is set correctly, you normally won't be playing your system at full tilt so on average the subs should be seeing less than 1k rms. Just keep in mind that any attributes on the head unit can increase signal going to the amp which will change the gain setting accordingly.

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 3228
Every once in a while reach back and check and see if the dustcap is warm (where it says JL on the cone). If ithe cap feels warm you are heating up the voice coils and you need to turn the volume down. Thats what I would do to get a feel for how much and how long you can listen to it loud.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us