Help with my JBL W12GTI mk2 and RUB1.2500D Amp

Username: Chrisinoregon

Post Number: 1
Hey guys, I'm new to this stuff and would really appreciate all the advice I can get! I have just 1 mk2 12" sub that is 3 ohm or 12 ohm only. I understand that these subs were designed to run in three's to get down to 2 ohms? Or 1.5 ohms, I'm not sure. Anyway, I only have 1 and I'm thinking about buying the Soundstream RUB1.2500D amp to push it. 1) Is this the right amp and can I wire it to get to 1.5 ohms? Or do I have to run it at 3 ohms? Also, what would be the rms at 1.5 and at 3 ohms with this amp? 2) Do you recommend an amp that would better suit this sub...Thanks...Chris

Silver Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 695
That sub is a dual 6 ohm coils wire them in parallel to get it to 3 ohm at that impedance you will get 1200-1300W from the amp, so lower the gain as the sub can only take 700W RMS.

In my opinion you should exchange the sub not the amp if you want to take advantage of all the power of that amp which can deliver 2500W RMS at 1 ohm.

Post Number: 2
Thanks Joe! However, I'm not in the market for a new sub cuz the mk2 will work just fine for the car that I'm putting it in. I haven't purchased the RUB1.1200d yet, it is the amp that I am currently looking at buying. Thanks for the education on the ohm of this sub. I just have two more questions 1) PLEASE recommend an amp for me that will work well with this sub, especially if you think the RUB1.1200d will be too much. 2) Can you send me to a link or maybe draw a generic diagrahm on how to wire my DVC sub in parallel to get it to 3 ohms? Thanks again...Chris

Silver Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 701
You should wire like this:

Upload

The simplest choice would be the JL 750/1 which will give the 750W at any impedance, subs like their W7s have the same odd impedances.

From the SS Rubicons below it seems that nothing less than the RUB1.1600D will handle 700W at 3 ohm, it will give 1100 at 2 ohm and therefore less at 3 ohm (not even specified at 4 ohm so who knows).

http://www.soundstream.com/AudioProducts/Amplifiers/rubicon.htm

There should be plenty other options to choose from.

Post Number: 4
Thank you for all of your help! Much appreciated...Chris
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us