Build Log/Install Finish(Pic Heavy!)

Silver Member
Username: Skies

Tofino, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 943
Just finished installing everything last night into an '03 S10.

Hybrid Audio Imagine mids in the doors, tweeters in the dash.
MB Quart ONX1500D powering 15" SI Mag
MB Quart ONX4.60 Bridged for 200x2w powering the components
SI Mag in 2.3CuFt sealed box with 2lbs polyfil

New head unit to come in a few months... Review next week sometime.

*** Resizing kinda F'd up the pics.. you get the idea.. ***

On to pictures!

Out with the old...

Upload
Upload
Upload

In with the new!

Upload

Screws were temp, had to go get some black ones...

Silver Member

Post Number: 944
Mids installed, had to cut stock speaker grills out of door panels to make em fit.. Not sure how to cover the gap yet, any ideas?

Upload

Tweeters installed into stock dash location, made up a bracket to hold it..

Upload
Upload
Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 945
New amps, love the black piano finish on them, also came with polishing rag :P SI Mag...

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 946
SI Mag = BEAST!

Upload

2/0 run from starting battery to the BA Yellowtop.. 1/0 to the 1500D, 4Gauge to the 4.60
Upload

Battery is in my toolbox in the box..
Upload

Installed

Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 947
Upload

Boom!

Couple quick questions...

1. When setting gain on 4.60, I used 1000Hz tone to set gain but was getting weird voltages(like only 4v), where the 1500D was easy to set @ 38v. Ended up just setting it at 1.8v by looking at the dial.. Never set gain on a 4 channel before.

2. When using a 4 channel bridged, do I need the front & rear RCAs plugged in? in pics only the front RCAs are hooked up. Maybe this is why setting gain was weird?

3. Should there be an isolator or something in between the batteries? Right now it's just direct.

Silver Member
Username: Alonzoub

Post Number: 263
When setting gain on the 4.60 you want to use the same method as the subwoofer, just with a different frequency tone. You chose to use 1kHz which is the most common for tuning the highs amp.

1) So, assuming those comps are 4-ohm nominal (im like 99% sure they are) and you want to find the sweet spot where you will be getting ~100 wRMS of output from your amp bridged... you use this formula...
Upload

So with your EQ set to however its going to STAY, and your volume on your head-unit set to ~80% (or whatever your MAX listening level will be, as long as this volume level does not drive the headunit into clipping) play the 1kHz - 0dB tone and slowly turn the gain of the amplifier up until your output voltage gets to ~20 volts between the bridged terminals. Remember though this is a very rough estimate for amplifier power output so take it with a grain of salt, you SHOULD be able to distinguish a clipped signal when playing a 1kHz tone so.

2) You should only need one set of RCA's, but what you want to do (at least what I would do...) would be to get a pair of RCA Y-Splitters like these:
Upload
And split your right (red) signal into channels 1 & 2, and the left signal (white) into channels 3 & 4. Leave the mode switch on the amp on "4", that way you will not lose your left and right imaging.

Of course if you allready have a second pair of RCA's coming from your head unit, yes plug them in. But make sure you are plugging them in the same way that you set up your speakers... for example if your channels 1&2 are bridged for your RIGHT set of components, you want channels 1&2 to be getting the RIGHT signal from the head unit, which would mean you would plug in both RED RCA's into channels 1&2 respectively, and both WHITE into channels 3&4.

3. Idk much about batteries so ill leave that alone.

Silver Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 645
If you are using equalization I don't think that method will be very valuable, in any case the test frequency should be at the band on the equalizer that is boosted the most within the crossover bandpass for a particular speaker.

Also why would you put "isolators" between batteries.

Silver Member

Post Number: 264
Yea actually Joe is right, I wasn't really thinking when I typed that because I always use flat EQ, my B.

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 4446
After years of setting gains with a DMM, I just do it by ear now... it's not that hard to tell when you're pushing your equipment to the limit.

Silver Member

Post Number: 948
Okay, but if using V=sqrt(PR) then would the formula not be:
V=sqrt(200x4) ? Because in bridged mode it is putting out 200x2?

Or should I unbridge and set gain on single channel? I set gain with speakers unhooked, so it is hard to tell if it is distorting at the volume it's at while playing 1KHz tone

I thought maybe because there is such a big draw on my back battery the alternator would try to keep charging that one, possibly overcharging the front one or stressing the voltage regulator? This is just my best guess, thought I've heard of isolators being used but don't know the exact purpose.

And yeah I can tell when my equipment is distorting, I tried to match gains on both channels and both amps.

I have RCAs for the rear that are being unused, I'll hook them up tomorrow and see if it makes a difference.

Silver Member

Post Number: 265
Right, you would use 200 rather than the 100 I used, still checking the voltage over the bridged terminals, I just figured you wanted to leave it at 100 since those comps are rated to handle 100 wRMS.

If you are only using 1 set of RCA's what "Mode" are you running the amp in, if you don't mind my asking.

Platinum Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Northern VA

Post Number: 12152
God I miss my Mag. That's honestly my favorite sub I've heard.

How is the Imagine line from HAT and how much do they run if you don't mind me asking? My Clarus was pure beauty.

Silver Member

Post Number: 951
The imagines are incredible, easily my favorite component I've ever heard. I paid $250+shipping here in canada, think they're about $200 in America. Well worth it for the price, IMO you would have to spend AT LEAST $400 to get as good quality.

They keep right up with the mag, but I am doubling their RMS, and cannot get them to distort. I know a lot of people on other forums like to double rms, figured I would try it cause I can always back off a bit.

The mag is a beauty, but in the somewhat near future I can see myself downsizing to 2 10s or 1 12, the sealed box is okay for the mag but once my windows drop down halfway, it gets easily twice as loud, I almost don't like it when my windows are up lol. I want to try something ported but don't got the room to do it with the mag

I'm using my iPhone and I can't find a link to the forum anywhere on the mobile homepage?

Silver Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 670
SkieZ, I was wondering how did you find the infinitys against the HATs, not talking about SQ obviously, but balance, most people find the infinitys harsh or at least bright, and poor on midbass.

Silver Member

Post Number: 952
The infinity's are the reference line, entry level. Moving up to the HATs is a huge step up, also throwing an extra ~150w at them as well.

The midbass was very poor, but were bright like you said. With the setup before, the mag kinda hid the presence or lack of midbass.

With this new setup, I turned the sub down cause I love the sound of the new HATs.

Platinum Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Northern VA

Post Number: 12158
That's great to hear about the Imagine line. I just sold my Clarus' last night to a guy. That's an awesome system you have there man. Congrats.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us