Can't eliminate noise's from Speakers

Username: Predsy

Post Number: 1
I am extremely new to all of this car audio biz, and have been trying to set up my VN Wagon with all the gear. But unfortunately I haven't had any luck. I was told that the Amp was no good took it back had it tested they said it was the RCA outs on my H/U. Had that tested they said it was fine. So i went and bought new RCA's and wiring and started from scratch. But that only made the noise worse. It started out as alternator whine which was only there when the engine was turned on and if i disconnected the amp it dissapeared. Now however I have a high pitch squeal when the engine is turned off and only switched to Accessory. I seen on a website that you could test if it was the RCA's on your H/U by disconnecting the RCA's at the amp and checking for noise, if there was no noise (which there wasn't) then to turn of the H/U and connect the remote wire directly to the battery. Here I had noise. But it didn't say whether that meant the H/U was ok or not. I had the car to a place that installs car audio and they couldn't fix it, (not sure if they really looked though, it was only there for about 10minutes). Power is running down driver side and RCA's passenger side and have checked, double checked and moved around the ground wires. Also read somewhere that the power wire should go from the H/U to the fuse to the battery, to the amp and then back to the battery, I havent tried this but can anyone tell me what this would achieve. Any help would be great because i am at an end to find the trouble. Thanks
Predsy

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 838
" I seen on a website that you could test if it was the RCA's on your H/U by disconnecting the RCA's at the amp and checking for noise, if there was no noise (which there wasn't) then to turn of the H/U and connect the remote wire directly to the battery."
Do you mean there wasn't any noise, or no noise wasn't the case and the noise was still there?

Make sure that the positive cable is run as far away from other electrical components as possible, this includes the alternator, distributor, ignition coil, spark plug wires, fuse boxes, and computer boxes, the same goes for RCA's(although alternators, ignition etc. don't apply). Also have your spark plug wires checked and verify that they're magnetically shielded. Check the head unit ground wire, it may need to be a chassis ground instead of a stock ground. If the power wire and RCAs cross at any point, make sure they're perpandicular to each other. The power wire for the amp should be directly from the battery, and independant of the HU's power wire. The ground should always connect to chassis.

Post Number: 4
I tryed running the remote wire from the battery to the amp and tested without h/u on and unplugged rca cables from amp but still had the noise, Then i tested with rca's plugged back in the amp and unplugged from the h/u and had no noise.Have also made sure the power wire from the amp is nowhere near any othe electrical stuff and have recently installed new magnetically shielded spark plug leads & tryed many different grounding points, Have tryed 3 different sets of rca cables and also rewired the head unit so i'm not using the original wiring loom.

thank you for your reply and any other help would be appreciated.

Bronze Member
Username: Graeme_k

Somerville, Victoria Australia

Post Number: 25
I had the same problem between my HU & 4 ch amp
It was found to be an "earth loop"
Fitted a $16:95 in line RCA isolation Transformer to the front channels at the amp end and this fixed it !

My symptoms increased as load was put on the altinator, head lights, air con, windscreen wippers,etc.

good Luck

Post Number: 5
I have also tryed a rca ground loop isolator and new noise suppresors on my alternator and made no difference at all. Also tryed a different noise filter type thing that connected in with the power and ground wires from the amp but that didnt help either.

paulito
Unregistered guest
try a diferent h/u, or connect rca shield to ground,

Bronze Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 83
by any chance are your RCA's going down the same side of your car as your power wire?

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 875
Yep. Connect the RCA shield to ground or try another head unit. Again I state to try different grounding point for the head unit, make sure it's clean and sanded just like the amplifier. If you have a buddy that's willing to let you try his head unit for a bit, use that and see if the problem is eliminated.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us