$Economy$ 1200 wrms 15" or 18"

Silver Member
Username: Makinblak

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 694
I am in the market for a new sub. I have a sundown sae 1200.1 and would like to release all 1200 watts on a single 15" or 18" sub. It's going in a 2001 VW Golf hatchback. I have about 8.5 gross cubes to give up for a ported box. I am a brokeass college student and I am looking to spend around $200-$250 for the sub. I will build my own box. I found an L7 15" refurb ( I know, I know) on ebay for $190 free shipping.
1000 wrms
sensitivity 89.4
freq. resp. 18-100
I am asking for other options that can handle at LEAST 1000 wrms and give me more SQ that cost $250 at MOST.

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

Crescendo Audio FTMFW!!, AA Havoc 15 ... Your Mom FTW!!

Post Number: 3714
If I were you I would look around for an Ascendant Audio Havoc. They are rated at 1250wrms so that would be a perfect match. I am running a single 15" Havoc on 1000wrms and I love it,its my favorite sounding sub Ive owned. It gets loud and sounds great! The 15s,used,should be in your price range. I would run it in 3.5-4.5 cft ported enclosure tuned around 32-34hz for some awesome lows and overall great sound.

Silver Member
Username: Lord_huggington

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 456
loaded SSD 18, used, 8 cubes.

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3538
i'm located in bossier and selling a 15" hdc3. it's d1 but you could always run at .5ohm...

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 695
How much?
how old?
How played?

It can hook up. .5 or 2 ohm corrrect?

Gold Member

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3540
indeed it can. 200 and can meet you somewhere in the middle. it's mint. probably 3 years old but has only seen maybe 10 real hours of play time with less than 1000w to it. had it sitting in a closet for over 2 years. i don't even think it's fully broken in yet. can post pics if necessary.

got a matching fisher custom built enclosure 4.3ft3 @ 36hz to go with if you need.

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 696
Copper or alum coil? How much for sub and box?

Gold Member

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3542
copper. i'll do 300 for both. was originally going for 350 since the box cost over 200 but i'm trying to get rid of this stuff quick.

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 697
Hmm can u upload pic of box? Sub too

Gold Member

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3544
this is all i have on hand. it's sitting in a good friends spare room at the moment. long story..

plexi window as you can see. double baffle flush mount front. it's a solid Ãss box. had a 3d drawing of it i was going to put up but can't find it, lol.

Upload

Gold Member

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3545
i can hook a demo up right quick before you buy as well. but if i drive that far and you decline you owe me lunch haha

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 698
Haha I wont have the money til the 22nd or so. How does $275 sound? Im gonna keep my options open til then. My phone can't view pics so I will check out the pic late tonite.

Gold Member

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3546
i can't go that low man, sorry. already not getting as much as id like to. i don't have a problem waiting.. whatever you want to do is cool with me though, just let me know.

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 699
what are the dimensions for that box?
Specifically hight.

Gold Member

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3547
off the top of my head 34w x 16h x 30d. if I can't find the actual ones il stop by his place later or get him to send me them.

Gold Member

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3551
25l x 30w x 16h

i was pretty close.

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 701
as the box in the pic sits, is the width 25 or 30 ?

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 702
Left to right that is...

Gold Member
Username: Wolf_hound

Phoenix, AZ

Post Number: 1429
my guess is 25" deep 30" wide 16" tall.....

You better jump on that.... Thats a deal.

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 703
All this deep, width, height, wide, tall, length, ugh im overloaded with ambiguity and biology homework and im freakin out man!! I can pretty much b sure of the 16". Stickin to the good ol' LxWxH, We will call the 16" perameter the HEIGHT. We will call the left-to-right perameter (as the pic sits) the WIDTH. The up-to-down perameter will be the LENGTH. Sorry so ANaAL, its just the dimensions in my hatch are REALLy tight close to working w that box. The sub and port will prolly hafta fire back if the length is 25 and the port will b real close to the hatch (like 1 or 2 inches). Or if the length is 25", then I might could put it in just like it sits in pic w plexi window to hatch and only minor rear-view blockage from driver seat. If length is 30, I will hafta fire sub passenger, window up so I can see all out my back window. I don't wanna do that cuz I want ppl to see the sub/port and know who they fuccin wit but its an option. Or if length 30, I could fire passenger with window fire hatch, and minor rearview blockage. Well that was fun....back to the books :/

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 706
So I got a bite on caco for an audiobun 15 ultra excursion
1000 wrms
2000 w peak
3" vc Dual 2 ohms
94.8 dB sensitivity
20 -700 Hz response

"Barely used" for $130

Was thinkin of building box to spec for a fi Q and putting the a-burn in til I could afford the Q

Opinions??

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 708
Also, a dude said he had an re se motor and an re sx motor he could build up for me. Does this seem kinda shady?
Which motor is better?

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 463
SX is better, more force, sensitivity, xmax ETC. The SE, IIRC, is 600W RMS. The SX was 1000W, +1500W clean.

Audiobahn, really? Wait the 30 days and get your Q lol. NO COMPROMISES!

That box is so nice.

I would buy a used, loaded SSD 18 and be better off than a 15" Q. 6-8 cubes @ 30-35 Hz - BOOOIIIIINNNGGG!

Gold Member
Username: Wolf_hound

Phoenix, AZ

Post Number: 1430
LOL audiobahn.... and the way you are talking i guess it doesnt mater what you get since it would prolly get stolen within the first week..

" I don't wanna do that cuz I want ppl to see the sub/port and know who they fuccin wit"

Get your windows tinted so no one sees who they are "fuccin wit"

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 709
Haha u rite! I bought the car w some mild mirror tint it looks like shiney dewkee. Audiobahn.......WTF was I thinkin?? Im looking into an SSA Xcon 18" now. What the word on them??

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 467
XCON is SQL. It's like a bigger, louder, more forcefull, slightly shattier sounding Q.

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 710
Perfect! Here come the specs...

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 711
18" ZCON D2/D1 3",
8 layer,Aluminum coils
Push terminals Pulp Fiber Cone
5 progressive spiders
FEA optimized motor
3" Anodized alum. former
Triple Sandwiched Leads

Specifications
Coil(s)
Terminals
Cone
Suspension
Motor
Former
Lead
Wires
Hand
Crafted in
Fs
Qms
Qes
Qts
Mms
Sd
Vas
Spl
Bl
Xmax
Wattage
Displacement

#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*

USA
/ 31.2
/ 7.76
/ 0.31
0.32 /
/ 338
1210 /
/ 139.3
/ 94.5
/ 25.2
/ 29
2250wRMS
0.27cuft

What can u tell me from all that fail??

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 712
Yep more fail than I realized. Someone on a pc could do it. This thing seems BEAST 1750 wrms 18" sensitivity 94.9 ftw

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 470
Bro that's the ZCON, not the XCON. The ZCON is the new heavyweight, for people "who were putting too much power to the XCON".

The ZCON is 94.9 dB, 2250W RMS. Don't forget, in order to make use of the high sensitivity, it needs more space.

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 713
More fail still, its the xcon I meant to get specs for

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 714
Im still rolling some options around and have a few questions. Im thinking of buying a soloX 18" motor now, then find a basket, then get the recone kit when I can afford it. Does anyone see a problem here? Besides "o that's dumb cuz there r better options". Like maybe it will b harder than I think to assemble a basket to a motor by myself??

Also, I hear of psi doing recones and whatnot, how do I get to their website?

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 715
Bump. Sniffle sniffle snort

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 716
Pump for shlltty forum

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 718
Make that a double bump. Maybe I see u in in ssa or smd

Silver Member
Username: Denim

SSAudio.com, MD USA

Post Number: 933
During testing, the Zcon thrived in slightly smaller enclosures then the Xcon. The Xcon is more of the type to love the larger low tuned boxes for a smooth response. A little bit of a throw back in that respect, but we did not plan/design to an enclosure size. The Zcon is more for the higher power, sometimes looking for numbers, crowd.

Found a used one that is near your budget: http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/topic/51451-xcon-18-d2/
Side note, the Q and Xcon have little in common when it comes to the motor and moving parts.

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 719
Thanks for the info. I think I was actually considering that sub. They look sexxy and have good specs. I should be orderiing a soloX 18 motor and basket today or tomorrow so my quest for a sub might be over. It will be a while before I have it bumpin tho, cuz I gotta fork out some cash for a recone and a box

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 720
Got me a soloX 18" motor and basket! All I need now is some cash and a d2 recone. Will post pics of this beast

Gold Member

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3566
so.. you bought an incomplete 5kw sub when you were scraping cash together to run a 1kw setup?

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 721
Lookin to the future my man...

Bronze Member
Username: Lms

Post Number: 70
quote " I am asking for other options that can handle at LEAST 1000 wrms and give me more SQ that cost $250 at MOST"

Bud
You need to crawl before you walk...
You let someone dupe you into buying an incomplete sub....
All of the other options were way better that what you've settled for...

Don't get me wrong,I'm not bashing kicker as they make solid equipment, but then again you've yet to own a kicker sub... or better yet, a functional kicker sub... You should post pictures of the parts of the sub.

It completely baffles me when someone comes to the forum in seek of advice, they're pionted in the right direction and yet they resort to doing something contrary to what they've been told.

Now to reality;

You should start thinking about
electrical upgrades(an HO alt, 0-guage wiring, several batteries), deadner, a well-braced box, an amp(prob 2), a recone kit, suspension upgrades or reinforcement, an alarm and insurance that covers your audio system.

Sounds like you need to budget at least $1500

Eric was doing you a HUGE} favor.... He actually went out of his way to help you.. Hats off to you Eric..

Be sure to post your build log on the forum so we can offer more useful advice...

Cheers
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us