A good alternator question

Bronze Member
Username: Adamwright

Post Number: 29
ok guys check it out.... 2001 accord 320 RMS watts to front and back speakers....1200 watts jbl for 3 subs TOTAL 1520 CLEAN watts......CAN SOMEONE RECCOMEND AN ALTERNATOR SIZE? 160 amps? 180? 200?

Silver Member
Username: Jayj

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 355
Adam you will need about 150 amps for the amplifiers. This will be how much is needed with what the car already has. A 200amp (MAY) do the job if your easy on the system. But a 250 amp should do the job for sure. Good Luck

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
ok well can i just have my stock alternator re-wound? if so wats the max expectation there? Whats a 225 to 250 amp alt gonna run?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
Geezus i cant find a 250 ANYWHERE.....1 HOUR SEARCHING ... max i found was a 200 for about 78,000 dollars...good god jay are you sure you didnt miscalculate? I have a pretty good system likes lotsa others, but youre telling me they have to fly to india and get a second mortgage for a 250 amp? HOW ABOUT JUST A 180 AMP?? found a couple of those??????

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4120
200A should be plenty.
I doubt you'll be running that system at full volume so you won't actually be drawing that much power.

Anonymous

adam wright, leave your alternator alone, go to any music store and just buy a nice capacitor for $150, and youll be fine.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4123
wrong.

Silver Member
Username: Grmncrsnbr

VA

Post Number: 257
oh god here we go. Glass can you point both adam and I into the right direction for finding alternators?

Silver Member
Username: Jayj

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 357
Go to www.mralternator.com If they don't have your car listed then email them and they will get the alternator for you. Thats where I got mine and it has been great.

Silver Member
Username: Jamtochristian

Williamsport, Pennsylvania USA of course!

Post Number: 127
I've seen that you can get 200a alternators on ebay shipped for about 220 dollars... that's not so much that you'll have to have a second mortgage or nothing, but make sure you get one for your car. They also make One wire alternators, which are supposed to be a little more simplified hook ups. But I'd stick with a 200a direct replacement if you can.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4130
yup ebay has plenty of them.
if you want one custom fit for you see:
www.4alterstart.com
they specialize in this.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help