What Sub would best suit my amp ?

Bronze Member
Username: Graeme_k

Somerville, Victoria Australia

Post Number: 20
Gday all
I have now replaced my Response amp with a JL 300'4 Amp and I have the infinity prefect 6.1's one the way, Thanks to all your advice (Jayj & GlassWolf)

I would now like to use the Response amp to power a 12" sub but not sure which one or the best way to wire it !

The Spec's are:
100wrms x 4 @ 4 ohms
150wrms x 4 @ 2 ohms
300wrms bridged @ 4ohms

If I bridged both channels (300wrms x 2) for a dvc 4ohm sub, the amp would see 2 ohms each ?
so what options do I have !, should I just buy a 2 ch amp and a SVC 4 ohm sub ?

My preference is SQ over spl's

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Bronze Member
Username: Southernrebel

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 91
try an 12" Adire Shiva, Kicker CompVr, or a JL w3v2....all are good subs

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Thanks Mashall
I really like JL, is this a DVC or SVC sub, will it suit my amp and how do you suggest it be wired.
They dont give Spec's for 2ohms in bridged mode so Im not sure if the amp will run a 4 ohms x 2 DVC

Regards Graeme

Bronze Member
Username: Southernrebel

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 94
your amp is a 4 channel amp ....right???

if so you will need to give each pair of channels a 4 ohm load in order to bridge the amp...what i mean is that you will have to treat each pair of channels on the amp as separate amps...(1 & 2= ampA) (3 & 4= ampB)

you will have to have a pair of subs that can present two separate 4ohm loads...i think that the JL w3v2 comes in a DVC 2 ohm model, if so you can wire each sub in series and run each separate sub to a bridged pair of channels...(sub#1 to ampA)(sub#2 to ampB)

that will give each side of your amp a 4ohm load and each sub will get 300wrms.

you get it???

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Thanks marshall
What confused me was GlassWolf answered a thread stating that if you bridge an amp, it see's twice the load ?

So if it's as simple as giving each bridged channel a 4ohms load (300wrms each) and I wanted to run 1 x 12" dvc 4ohm sub then it should be possible to connect ch A to one side and ch B to the other ?
Sorry buddy, I know you have said I will have to have a pair of subs, but though I will ask this question anyway.

Regards Graeme

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 813
I would get two Adire Audio Shivas, wire the voice coils in series, bridge the amp, and put one Shiva on each bridged channel. This will provide 300 watts into each sub.

Silver Member
Username: Jayj

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 369
Yeah I agree with Jonathan. Go for 2 Shivas They will sound great. They have awesome SQ and SPL.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us