MP3 players?

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

Crescendo Audio FTMFW!!!, AA Havoc 15 ... Your Mom FTW!!!

Post Number: 3577
Ok so Im pretty sure my HU,Alpine CDA-9813,can use the ai-net input to run a MP3 player through the AUX setting using a cable like this

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_38678_P.I.E.-ALP-AI-3.5M.html

Someone correct me if Im wrong.

Anyways I have never owned an MP3 player,iPod,etc,I know Im way behind huh? But what are some decent mp3 players around $20-$50 for say 4gb or more? I dont need anything fancy or anything that plays vids,has a camera,or anything else but a mp3,although it would be nice if I could find one that does do all that in my price range. Any suggestions?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3578
Ooops double post FT.......W??

Silver Member
Username: Alonzoub

Post Number: 230
Not sure how urgently you need one, but www.woot.com occasionally has some good deals on MP3 players. If you are familiar with woot.com then you understand how long it could take for them to post a good MP3 player deal... but I got my Sansa e270 for around $25 a few years back... its 6GB internal memory and has a microSD expansion slot... well worth it IMO. I also switched out the firmware to RockBox Open Source which lets you play videos and games on it rather than just music and pictures. It also has an FM tuner and a microphone which makes it an all around pretty sweet doodad for 25 bones.

Im pretty sure they don't make it anymore but woot still posts pretty good MP3 player deals.

Something you may want to keep in mind though, most cheaper MP3 players have a low output voltage so when plugging them into your stereo, you will notice that you will have to crank the volume much higher to get equivalent CD/USB level output.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3581
Well after doing a little reaserched I decided on the SanDisk Sansa Fuze. I actually found a great deal on a 8gb one. Its refurbished but hey thats as good as new IMO. I was just searching at the right time I guess b/c this guy posted 2 of these and they were both sold within 10 mins of him listing them. I bought one and 3 mins later someone snatched up the second one. I think I got a pretty sweet deal considering the price new and even used price on other sires for the 8gb.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D150634599029&ssPageName=S TRK:MEWNX:IT

Gold Member

Post Number: 3582
And 8gb is WAY more space than Ill ever use lol

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5997
SanDisk makes great stuff

Silver Member

Post Number: 231
Yea good stuff there, forgot to mention the Sansa I got was refurbished as well. Still works like a champ. The only gripe I would have is no expandable memory, but you said you don't need more than 8GB so good buy.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3583
Actually the one I got,the Fuze,does have expandable memory. It takes a microSD card and they make those up to what,like 16GB? So yea 24GB total if I got a 16gb sd card. Pretty good deal for 28 bucks!

Silver Member

Post Number: 232
Most microSD devices take up to a 32GB card

Lol, Those are expensive as hell though.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3584
32gb? Daaaaaamn!!! I cant imagine anyone being able to fill that thing up! Hell I know 32gb is small compared to some of those iPods out there that are like 120gb or whatever. Why would anyone need THAT much storage? Thats insane.

Anyways I got my SanDisk Fuze today and its pretty cool! Its my first mp3 player so I cant really compare it to anything but its easy to you,nice and small but not too small lol,and it feels pretty sturdy. It doesnt feel cheap at all. I got an amazing 3 songs on it so far lol. Im trying to figure out how to convert a Divx video to put it on my mp3 but I dont know how to do that. I got my Alpine Ai-Net adaptor and hooked it up to my stereo in my truck and it sounds great,I was worried it would sound bad or I would loose some quality but it sounded fine to me. Overall Im happy with it,now I gotta go on a downloading spree to fill this thing up!

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14367
check out newegg and look at the Sansa mp3 players by Sandisk. They have some terrific sale prices on refurbished ones regularly. I'm presently using one that has 32GB I believe.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3585
Glass do you even read posts anymore? lol

Platinum Member

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14371
Yes, I was giving my opinion, which happened to mirror that of several others. I had an e200, and now use a Sansa View. If you'd rather I not share my opinions in your threads, that's OK too.

Silver Member

Post Number: 233
Lol, I think he said that because he already bought an MP3 player.

As for anyone being able to fill it up? well...
Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 3588
Glass I was just messin around lol. And alonzoub is right,I had already bought an mp3 player and it was actually a SanDisk Fuze. It just seemed like you only read the first post based on your response,no offense intended.

Is that a screen shot of yours alonzoub? Is that all music or does that include movies/videos and pictures too? Either way that is a shitton of media lol! I have 2 full albums and like 5-6 single songs on my mp3 now,all of which are 320kbps and I still have over 7gb of space left.

BTW does anyone now a program that will convert Divx and other formats to a format that will play on my mp3 player? Or is that even possible? Im not trying to put a movie on there,its actually the AIC Unplugged concert footage. But could I put movies on there if I wanted to? Thats if there is a converter out there that will convert them to play on my mp3 player.

Platinum Member

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14375
I was up late. When I'm up late, no I don't always read every post completely. Anyway on my View at least, the Sandisk software converts most video to a format the Sansa player can handle. DVDfab might be able to convert yours to something useful. Another option is just to extract the audio instead.
If you think it's hard to fill an mp3 player with music, I'll give you a peek at a portion of my CD collection. I have another cabinet like this one as well, along with about 8 DVDs full of mp3 music that's been downloaded or ripped from other CDs, my vinyl collection, a number of concerts and music shows on DVD (like the boxed collection of 25 years of SNL music, Bjork, Sarah Mclachlan, etc) and so forth. I shudder to even think of how many GB I'd use up converting all of it to digital mp3 format.

Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 3591
Well I tried to just transfer the divx file to the mp3 player but when I dragged and dropped,a window popped up and it said something along the lines of "this device can not play this format" or something like that and wouldnt let me transfer it at all. So I dunno Ill have to look more into that.

As far as CDs go,I have hundreds also. But Im not going to take the time to rip every CD I own and transfer them to my mp3 player. That would take days if not weeks lol. Thats one reason I decided to get an mp3 player,b/c I am running out of room for my CDs. So I figured any new CD or even single song I want Ill just transfer it to the mp3 player instead of burning a new CD. Im sure if I did rip every CD I own and add to it the mp3 I would need 3000GBs+ lol.

Gold Member
Username: Kaerfpl

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1141
When I convert music, I use a program called Audacity, which is a free download on the web.

There are two differen't ways I use this program. I either upload the song, and save it as a differen't format or, I'll play the song on iTunes and record it using Audacity. This way, I can trim down the size, and make small adjustments to the song to make it louder, add more bass, ext..ext..

Platinum Member

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14380
If you want to rip CD to mp3, the best software I know is EAC (exact audio copy) which is also free, and can use the (free) LAME codec for encoding. It acesses the freeDB music database to name all of your tracks by recognising the CD you have loaded, etc.. very handy.
Audacity is fantastic IMO, for ripping vinyl to mp3, if you have a USB turntable (I do.)
If you have the extra space and don't want to lose audio quality by using mp3, rip CDs using FLAC instead. It's lossless. I find it's really good if you have CDs with outstanding mastering quality as a source, like MFSL CDs.

Just some thoughts on the topic. Yeah I don't rip all of my stuff either. A lot of that stuff I only want a few songs from each disc, in which case the mp3 player is outstanding. the Sansa also allows me to separate music by folders per genre as well, so I can split up my tunes by my mood. I just keep the CDs because I have a 301 CD jukebox for my home system so i can just catalog them right in the player.

Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 235
That screenshot was just my (organized) music folder on my 2nd hard-drive, I have more scattered around my computer.

Its been a while since I ripped a CD but the program I used to use was "CDex", its a pretty simple open source CD ripper. I also have some experience with Audacity, that a program too.

Platinum Member

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14385
CDex is good, too.

take a look at this one some time. it's free:
http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

just set the software to automatically check freedb after inserting a CD, and tell it how to name the files, and where to save them.. and it's all good.

Gold Member
Username: Kaerfpl

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1148
Im surprised no one brought this up, but if you rip your music through WMP, the Audio files are automatically put into MP3 format.

Also, there is a way to use iTunes to convert music into MP3 as well. You can also have iTunes rip music into MP3 files instead of the standard M4A format in the settings.

WMP = Windows Media Player (FYI)

Gold Member

Post Number: 3595
I just found this on SanDisk's website

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4431/~/downloading-and-launching-t he-sansa-media-converter

Its a media converter made just for SanDisk/Sansa players. Very easy to use and it will convert your music,videos,pictures to the correct format for your player. And its free!

Platinum Member

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14388
um, yeah.. lol
I knew about WMP, I just prefer EAC. It's a much better application for the purpose.
I don't use, or like apple, or itunes, so I didn't mention that one.
and as for the media converter, it comes with the sansa players, so I figured you knew about it. that was why earlier I'd said just use the software to convert your divx. lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 3596
Oh I didnt know it came with it. I bought my player off ebay refurbished and it only came with the usb cord and the ear buds.

Well I thought that media converter was nice but when I tried to convert my vid it said it was unfinished b/c my device wasnt present. I dont understand,I had my mp3 player connected the whole time. And I noticed when I first opened the media converter program it showed my mp3 player up in the left corner and said how much space was available and how much used but about half way through the process it said it wasnt connected. So I dont know whats up with it.

I guess Ill try one of the programs you all suggested. Maybe Ill have better luck.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us