Help spend my money! Advise Needed for a newbe.

Username: Rtb1972

Austin, TX United States

Post Number: 1
I am new to the car audio market and am looking to you for advice. I have $600.00 to spend on a car audio system. I am putting this in a 1994 Mustang Cobra with a Mach 460 Sound system currently in place. I am looking for a head unit with built in CD that will play MP3's and WMA's, low pass and high pass filters would also be a plus. I will also need an amp, sub and enclosure. The sub will be mounted in the truck of the car, so I don't know if I should use a Ported or Sealed box? Should I go with a 10" or 12" single woofer? Will a 12 fit? Here are the products I have found so far...

Head Unit: Panasonic CQ-C5310U... 161.00
AMP: Sony XM-2200GTX... 138.00
Sub: Open to Suggestions
Box: No clue
Miss: Harness, Cable, hardware?

What do you guys recommend I purchase?

Thank you,
Robert Barker
Austin TX

Austin, TX United States

Post Number: 2
Also, One sub is fine. I don't really care about brand names either, as long as the quality is good. If you guys can get it down below 500.00 that would be fine with me. :-)

Thanks again,
Robert

Bronze Member
Username: Kickercomp

Tampa, FL USA

Post Number: 38
12w7 in ported enclosure. it will be around 600, but i know that sony amp wont come close to pushin it. tell us what ur after, loudness or quality or both>?

Austin, TX United States

Post Number: 3
More quality than loudness, but I will take both if I can get it. What AMP would you suggest.

Bronze Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 40
You are gonna need to deside on a sub before you can really go with an amp. Seeing you are pressed for money you should look at the Kicker CompVr's if you'd like a pair of 10's. If you want a single 12 i'd reccommend a 12" kicker L5 or L7. The L7;s a little more and it will be loud if run properly, look into a kicker amp to run it. it's gonna need somewhere around 600watts RMS, not 100% sure on that figure.

Austin, TX United States

Post Number: 4
How about this combo...

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-P460MP
AMP: Sony XMD-500X (500w RMS @ 2ohm)
Sub: Kicker CVR10 @ 2ohms w/ ported box located in trunk.

I can get the above for 350.00. Good product and Deal? Will that AMP push the sub?

Thank you,
Robert

Bronze Member
Username: Kickercomp

Tampa, FL USA

Post Number: 43
yes the sony can push the comp vr 10.
ive got a sony "1000watt" amp and it pushes only 225w to each of my comp vr10s but they reach 140dBs in their ported boxes. if u put urs ported and can give it a continuous 250watts then ull be fine. that sony amp cant push a constant 500 more like 250rms, i know my amp says 1000watts and can push like 450w. sony is way over rated and they rnt good which is why im goin to the 13w7 with 1000/1

Anonymous

Here is what I would suggest for both good sound quality and SPL

Subs: Two Adire Shivas they will run for about $250 for both. They are awesome speakers, and they don't cost a lot.

Amp : JBL 600.1. It will run at around $200 probably on ebay, new. If you want to spend more money for a better amp get a kicker 600.1, which will be closer to $300.

This will leave you with $150 for a head unit. Though you might have to spend a little bit more money for a box, or you can build one yourself if you want to do the research, but make sure you know what you are doing because i poorly built box can make even the best of subs sound like trash.

Stay away from Sony's car audio products, they are no good.

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 777
I second that. Forget the Sony amp and get a JBl 600.1. Not a lot more expensive, you can get them new on www.sounddomain.com for 220 with full warranty. One Adire Audio Shiva will outdo a CompVR in all perspectives. You could get one Shiva (125) and a JBL 600.1 (say 225) and that's 350 there. If you can build your own box, it'll be around $50 after all the materials (including carpet). So you've spent 400 so far, and have $200 for a head unit. Spend that on an Alpine online or a good Pioneer (maybe even Premier) with WMA and MP3. Panasonic are decent, but the reliability is a concern with a lot of them. With the amp, you've got the flexibility to add another Shiva down the road if you want to, all you would have to do is build another box to put it in and hook it to the amp.

J-dub bob
Unregistered guest
hey can someone help me find a amp for 2 12" kenwood typhoons? they have a 400 rms and 800 watt max. plz help. what is better mono or 2 channel bridged? im try to spend less then 200 dollars

Silver Member
Username: Davids2004

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 325
Here you go.

Head Unit: JVC ARSENAL KD-AR800-140.00
AMP: Xtant A3001T-130 shipped on ebay (very powerful amp)
Sub: Xtant Z104 (good sq subs and decent spl- http://www.cardomain.com/item/XTAZ1042FOR1)90.00 shipped for two subs
Box: http://bigdogaudio.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BIG102LQSQR -50.00 shipped
Miss:
4 gauge wiring kit-35-40.00 shipped (www.knukonceptz.com)
Radio harness and kit (20.00 for both if you can get it at walmart if not then proably about 30-40.00 from a stereo shop)

Total around 475.00.

Best I could do.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us