Amp Challenge

Byter
Unregistered guest
Amp experts, I need your advise. I bought a'99 Accord EX recently and I am canabalizing my 4runner system for as many parts as possible. I yanked two McIntosh 50w/ch RMS 2 channel amps. I love these amps and don't want to replace them. (Those Mcintosh's are expensive!)

The problem is I only plan for front speakers in the Accord. Probably Infinity Perfect 6.3s or similar Boston Acoustics 3 speaker set up.

I wonder if I can run both amps independant with a right RCA feed into one amp and the left into the other and then bride the output of each amp to its to channel speakers to acheive something near the equivilant of a single 100w RMS amp.

Will this work? Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 412
No, i dont think that would work. Just get a RCA Y-cable, there cheap. This splits one line (so you need two) then just get to other small lenght RCA cables and run each one to an AMP.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3997
why not just use the right single amp to begin with?

Byter
Unregistered guest
I thought it would be nice to get 100 watts instead of letting one amp lie unused... if it would work in stereo. I'll go with a single amp if I need too.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4002
either a class AB 2 channel 100w x 2 amp, or a 4 channel 50w x 4 amp bridged to 2 channels at 4 ohms for 100 watts x 2.
either way you get a balanced 100 watts x 2, without the hassle of what you're attempting.
use any amp you presently have for subs after that, or sell them.. whatever works for you.

it's just better to keep things as simple and straight forward as you can. it avoids problems later on.

Username: Byter

Post Number: 1
I like "keep it simple".

I guess the McIntosh's are AB and it looks like I am stuck at 2 channel 50w x 2 amp and another just like it to sell. Oh well. Its probably more than my ears can take anyway. At least it will be 50w x 2 at 110 dB (2V).

This might be heracy on this site, but given the lower front power I guess I'll go with a self powered 200w Infinity baselink for the sub. They should make a nice match I think. Please let me know if I'm wrong. I'm going for SQ.

Post Number: 2

Post Number: 3
One more thought. My amps have variable voltage (.3V to 2.0V). If I want it louder, all I would have to do is lower the voltage to 1.0V, right? I seem to recall I would sacrifice signal to noise, but at 2.0V I have 110dB so it seems I can spare a little.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4008
the basslink is fine. they work well for what they are.
the voltage you're referring to is input sensitivity. that needs to be matched to your head unit's line out voltage. it's not an adjustment for power, and having it set too high will only overdrive the amp's input stage and cause clipping and distortion, which will damage the speakers.
50 watts x 2 for fronts is a lot of power. don't be mistaken. most head units put out about 11 watts to each speaker. you'll be serving up five times that much, and every time you double the power you're adding about +3dB, so it's not that bad.
Most component speakers really can't handle more than about 50-75wRMS per channel unless you're going with some more expensive ones. Even then, you're not usually gaining a great deal by adding more power. It takes an increase in power of a factor of ten to double the audible volume.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us