AHHHHH! Help on box problem!

Bronze Member
Username: Jonez788

Post Number: 72
Okay, I just got my Kicker CVR 12" today and it says that the box I got will only give 300 watts max power handling. Should I have got a sealed box instead? I could still cancel my vented box.

Vented: http://bigdogaudio.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BIG122SQRV

Sealed:http://www.cardomain.com/item/RTE32312

They will be powered by a Kicker KX 800.2.

What box do you guys think?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3992
you can use the ported box, and set the infrasonic filter on the amp to 20Hz, and low pass filter to around 70-80Hz. then properly set the gains on the amp and be careful with it. if you hear it start to distort or bottom out, turn it down a bit or reduce the sub out signal at the head unit to say -3dB. That should avoid any damage to the sub(s.)
Or, you can go sealed if you like, then the infrasonic filter isn't needed. same LPF XO point of 70-80Hz. Power handling will increase. you'll lose a little bit of peak SPL. accuracy will be better, but you'll forsake a bit of transient response because the damping of a sealed box prevents the sub from being able to respond quite as quickly as it can with a ported box. (remember sealed means pressure inside the box.. nowhere to push it out like a ported box, so it has to compress the air. that slows the sub a bit.)
no coloration in a sealed box like with ported though, and never any issues with port noise or harmonics.
it's up to you.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 73
Okay, I guess I'll stick with the ported. On the website it says that it's for these subs. But ummm, I odn't get the Low Pass Filter settings and infrasonic filter.

I have Bass Boost, X-OVER, Gain, and then a switch where I can select "Lo-Pass."

What should I set the cross over at and bass boost?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
Oh, and should I maybe just get some Poly-Fill for the box? And when I was wiring the subs there is a white dot on one of the positive terminals and on one of the negatives....does that mean anything?

Bronze Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 38
The dots are for the separate voice coils, consolt the manual for proper wiring for your sub.

wronganswerglasswolf
Unregistered guest
It is generally accepted that an optimized sealed enclosure exhibits the best transient response characteristics. The control provided by the air-spring in a good sealed system contribute to generally outstanding transient behavior (at very high power levels, the increased distortion can overshadow this advantage, however.)

A ported enclosure can also achieve good transient behavior but never as good as an optimized sealed enclosure. It is possible, however, for a well-designed ported enclosure to have better transient response characteristics than sealed enclosures with higher Qtc's (above 1.0.) The specific alignment of the sealed and ported enclosures plays a huge role in determining the transient characteristics of each individual subwoofer system.

**quoted from http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/magic/performance.html**
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us