Location location location

Username: Briguy

Post Number: 3
Ive always always seen subs in the trunk and I was wondering if it would matter if the subs were just chillin in the backseat, a sub behind the driver and passengers seats. Does it really matter where you put the sub? Are there any advantages or disadvantages? Its a ported box if that matters.

P.S Also heard something about noise cancelation something to do with audiophysics, I was too drunk care when I heard about it.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3991
heh
hopefully you weren't driving while you were drunk and listening about wave cancellation. haha

anyway positioning of the subs and the enclosure can have a very large effect on the driver response and performance.

wave cancelling generally occurs when two speakers directly face each other and are 180deg out of phase, or when the box is "square" and the back side is parallel to the speaker side. then the wave reflects off of the back of the box, and cancels the following wave, negating the effect and destroying the driver response.

Anonymous

I took my subs out of my truck one time and put them in the backseat right behind my head and their in a vented box and the bass was sick!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 55
the bass was the same as they were in the back...doing that would be the same effect as cranking the volume up and putting your ear right up to the sub...which i wouldnt reccomend trying...atleast if you value your hearing

Username: Pinhead

Lenexa, KS US

Post Number: 10
Positioning has to have some effect. I used to have a '78 Chevrolet Caprice Classic 2-door with my "system." Pioneer DEH-P4400, Profile 800, 2 10" Kicker CVR's in sealed boxes. I was really impressed with the setup. But when I put it in my new car, a '86 Mercury Cougar, I lost a lot of bass. I'm gussing the back seats are insulated more and the trunk is sealed better (not to mention less airspace), which is blocking a lot of my sound. I think I'm going to try to pull out a lot of the insulation behind the back seat in hopes of getting a little more sound through.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us