Loads of questions

Bronze Member
Username: Markd

UK

Post Number: 16
hi, i currently have 2 w3v2's, with about 450w rms each, in a ported box tuned to about 34hz. the setup is ok, but i'm looking for more sound quality in my next system. i'm going for a top of the range head unit, diamond audio hex components, and either

1 13w7 powered by a 1000/1 in a sealed box
2 13w7's powered by 2 1000/1's in a sealed box
1 13w7 powered by a 1000/1 in a ported box
2 13w7's powered by 2 1000/1's in a ported box
2 13w6v2's powered by a 1000/1 in a sealed box
2 13w6v2's powered by a 1000/1 in a ported box
4 13w6v2's powered by 2 1000/1's in a sealed box

got all that?

i live in the uk, and cars are small here, so boot space is an issue. i'm not bothered about leaving room for shopping or anything, just trying to fit as many subs in the boot as possible. i think all of the combinations above will fit. what i'd like to know, is how each of the setups will compare to what i have at the moment. if i get just one w7 in a sealed box, i would have thought that it would have less spl than the 2 w3v2's in a ported box that i have at the moment? i'm changing the system primarily for sound quality, but i definitely don't want it to be quieter than what i have at the moment. the problem with buying 2w7's is that i'd need 2 1000/1 amps to power them, for only a 3db increase. the 1000/1 amps retail at £1000 here(yes 1000 pounds, thats $1850 dollars at todays exchange rate!). i am probably going to try to buy my stuff online, can anyone recommend a good reliable site. i have emailed woofersetc several times, and never got a reply, its a shame cos their prices are good.

basically what i'm looking for is your opinions on which setup out of the above would a) give the best sound quality and b) the most spl. i'm gonna go for jl, as i've only heard good things about them, plus the w7's look so nice its unreal. is it worth buying 2 w7's and 2 1000/1 amps, or would 4 w6v2's and 2 1000/1's be better? opinions please...

i listen to a wide range of music, so i'd like a versatile system that sounds good with anything i put in. i've heard that the diamond hex's are one of the best component speakers around, can anyone recommend an amp to power them, to get the most out of them? maybe a pure class a design would be the best to go for? i just want a really good sound stage in the front, with plenty of mid bass, so that the subs blend nicely.

your advice and opinions would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Grmncrsnbr

VA

Post Number: 212
if im not mistaken the lower the number after the w the less sq there will be. the w7s are great subs the only jls i would buy personally so i would go for those. They have the ability to kick hard because of the throw they have.

Bronze Member
Username: Colorblind_2004

Post Number: 11
Since you said you have limited space, i'd go with the dual 13W7's with 2/1000 watt amps. That system would pound like hell, and if you budget can handle it, then i'd go for that. Actually, I wish right about now that i wouldnt have gotten my dual L7's. I'd say W7 13's are the way to go.

Bronze Member
Username: Colorblind_2004

Post Number: 12
oh, yeah. I forgot to mention, a sealed box would be a good idea, instead of a ported becuase of the space issue. Unless you want higher SPL.

Bronze Member

UK

Post Number: 18
the space isn't that much of an issue, i'm pretty sure all of the above combinations would fit ok. i just can't fit any more than that in. i could get four w6v2's in cos of the small enclosure space, but don't know if it would be better than 2w7's. i'll probably end up goin for the w7's, cos they look so damn nice.

Bronze Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 42
with 2 w7's run by 1 1000/1 JL amp each you may want to look into replacing your windows with lexan...The pressure inside your car is going to be extremly high...glass doesnt have much flex...

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4013
2 13w6v2's powered by a 1000/1 in a sealed box

that's your best balance of power/current demand, SPL, and sound quality. After that, you can drop in SPL a bit and go with one ported 13W7 with the 1000/1.
that'd be my two choices. Depends on the car, too. In a cooper mini I'd take the W7. If you have something a bit bigger, then the two twelves.

Bronze Member

UK

Post Number: 19
i'm not too bothered about the current demand, cos i'm gonna get an uprated alternator. would 2 w7's seriously smash windows!? they must be loud...

so 2 13w6v2's would be louder than one w7? would a w7 be louder than my two w3's? i'm thinking of getting my current system metered, to find out how loud it actually is.

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 778
NO they won't smash windows. It takes more than most people say it will to break a window. Think about how hard you'd have to hit a window with a hammer to get it to fully break. Pretty hard. Now, imagine a sub that put out that kind of force, it's very hard to do and takes a lot more than those two subs can put out. Unless your windows are just crap to start with. Sorry if I disappointed you.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4033
you're not going to break windows.
you seriously wouldn't want to.
anyway look at Xmax and cone surface area to determine how much air the subs can displace.
that'll tell you how loud the sub will get, roughly.

a single 13W7 should be able to hit as high as 147dBA in a vented box in the right conditions.

Bronze Member

UK

Post Number: 21
lol. i agree, i don't want to break the windows in my car... it would be an expensive hobby!

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4052
you wouldn't be sitting in the car when it happened anyway.
not if you place any value at all on your hearing.

Bronze Member

UK

Post Number: 24
for anyone thats interested, this is the amount of air that these subs can move, based on the xmax and the effective piston area. this also assumes that they have the required amount of power, which varies from sub to sub.

*all values in cubic inches
30.84 for a 10w6v2
41.8 for a 12w3v2
50.57 for a 12w6v2
53.82 for a 10w7
85.34 for a 13w6v2
96.6 for a 12w7
134.2 for a 13w7

i found this very interesting, as a 13w7 moves over three times as much air as a 12w3v2. does this mean it'll be 3 times louder? also, a smaller w7 is still louder than a bigger w6 or w3. nice. i'm gonna go for 2 w7's, i think this will be loud enough, as its gonna move over 3 times as much air as my current 2 w3v2's. the only thing is that the w7's will be in a sealed box, as i won't have the room for a ported enclosure.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4089
louder yes. three times louder, no.
SPL isn't a linear scale.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us