Sub recommendations

Username: Backman

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 2
Hey guys! Im new here and to the car audio world. I bought a sub/amp/capacitor/box used on ebay. The sub was damaged in shipping and I am collecting some insurance money and need to fill the hole. Any help in the selection is much appreciated
What I am working with
AMP - Rockford Fosgate 301m
Capacitor - Rockford Fosgate .5 farad
Qlogic with a 10" opening

I want to stick with a single 10 at this point. The amp puts out 150 RMS at 4ohms and 300 RMS at 2ohms. I am thinking of going with a dual voice coil sub to double those numbers. Do you sacrifice quality when you go from 2 to 4ohms or 4 to 2ohms?

Here are some I am considering
1. Alpine swr-1041D type R
2. Pioneer Premiere TS-W1500SPL
3. Kicker Comp cvr-10

Any of those sound good or do you have others youd recommend. I dont need to blow the doors off of the neighbors.. just want nice rich quality bass to fill my car. I here Bimmers contain the sound well anyway (some guys complain because you cant hear the bass outside)

Anyway... thanks ahead of time for any info or recommendations you might have! By the way... BUY A BIMMER!!!!

backman

Silver Member
Username: Davids2004

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 306
How much do you wanna spend and then ill recommend you a sub based off that.

Silver Member
Username: Grmncrsnbr

VA

Post Number: 211
your going to want a sub that is dual voice coil 4 ohms a peice so it can be wired down to two ohms so it will also have to be 300 watts rms

Silver Member
Username: Davids2004

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 310
Or a sub that is svc 4 ohms and handles roughly 150-200 rms a piece.

A couple of subs you may want to check out.

Xtant Z104-http://www.cardomain.com/item/XTAZ104

Dayton Qautro 10-http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-550

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 3
Davids2004... I figure somewhere around $75-125. I was wondering why you recommended the ones you did... what their selling points are

Question... what is svc? Ive seen that around the forums and dont know the lingo.

Question... Grmncrsnbr (or anyone else) how does the impedence thing work... how do you wire a 4ohm sub to be a stable at 2ohms... does that affect quality if you are feeding it more wattage?

Thanks for your input so far! You guys are pretty cool!

Todd

Silver Member
Username: Jayj

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 319
Todd get you a Kicker CompVR with 4ohm DVCs. If you wire it down to 2ohms it will let the amp double its power so the sub will beable to hit harder. Heres a place to buy the sub and heres a Diagram to help you wire the sub.

http://www.acaraudio.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=15&products_id=206

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/ISEO-rgbtcspd/learningcenter/car/subwoofers_wi ring.html?subs=1&impedance=DVC4x2 USE OPTION #1

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 4
JayJ... cool man! Thanks! I appreciate that! The Kicker Compvr was one that I was looking at! I may go with that because it is definitely reasonably priced. The diagram makes it easy too so thanks a lot... This forum is great!

I know you recommend the kicker but what about the alpine type R... I kindof like the idea of buying an alpine... certainly not set on it. What are your thoughts

Thanks again guys!

Silver Member

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 324
Todd the Kicker will put a whipping on that Alpine take my word on that. You will be very happy with that set up.

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 5
Okay... sounds good! Thanks again!

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 6
I just bought the kicker. Got a good price on it online... came to $72 shipped! Looking forward to popping it in and thumping away! Thanks for your help guys! JayJ, davids2004, grmscrsnbr... thanks!

Silver Member

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 325
Todd be sure to post back and let us know what you think. We like feedback too lol.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us