What is wrong?

Silver Member
Username: Mystre

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 759
OK, I was going to post this in my other thread, but not many people are responding to that one. So, I got my subs in and wired correctly, turned down everything on the amp all the way (gain, etc), turned down everything on my HU (subs to -7, bass to -7, loudness off) and still my amp will turn off after about 1 minute. What is wrong? I know about the ground, I am going to double check that, is there anything else? Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 9802
Is it getting hot?

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 760
I will check, but it was only a minute of play. Before that I didn't touch the settings and it would be on til I turned up the volume. By the way it is a Sundown SAZ-2000D pushing 2 Sundown SA12 D4s

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3493
is it going into protect? rem wire keeping 12v?

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 761
I am almost positive that it is going into protect. The rem wire should be, the engine was running the whole time and I get 12-13 volts when the system is on, I will have to check all of this tomorrow and get back to you all, is there anything else I should check? Thanks!!!!!

Gold Member

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3494
pop it open and take a look at the board for anything suspicious.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 5481
Try disconecting the subs...stays on..sub issue. Goes off amp issue. Dmm the subs coils. Dmm the rem and ohm out the ground. If you dont have a dmm...buy one now..

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 5482
Try disconecting the subs...stays on..sub issue. Goes off amp issue. Dmm the subs coils. Dmm the rem and ohm out the ground. If you dont have a dmm...buy one now..

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 762
how do I ohm out the ground

Bronze Member
Username: Caraudio4life

Clovis, CA USA

Post Number: 48
when u plug in leads to actually subs make sure speaker wire isnt hitting metal on sub after its in the connectors, or it could be your enclosure hook ups for subs. both happenend to me

Gold Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 2061
Upload

i would would wire it to one sub at a time and see if it only does it with one sub or only when both are hooked up. make sure nothing is wired out of phase. got a spare sub if it does it with both?

Gold Member

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3495
from termpro forum...

quote:

Here is one way to do this and should be reasonably accurate. Disconnect the ground wire from the amp. Put your multimeter between the amp ground and the ground wire or a good chassis ground so you can measure the DC current through the amp. Use a test tone CD so the current will stay pretty constant. Also have the volume all the way down and slowly turn it up because most multimeters don't like anything above 10 A so look at the rating. Turn the volume up until you are reading between 5-10Amps the higher the better, but watch that max current rating. When you have it set so the current is pretty stable and around 5A or so, remove the remote turn on wire from the amp. Now reconnect the ground wire to the amp and reconnect the remote wire so your amp turns on and plays. Now you take the multimeter and measure the voltage between the amp ground terminal and the battery ground terminal. This voltage will be pretty low, in the milliohm range. If your multimeter probes don't reach you can attach a wire to the ground terminal on the amp and run that up near the battery and measure the voltage between the wire and battery terminal. Then divide the voltage by the current and you have the total resistance between the amp ground terminal and the battery ground terminal.

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 5483
"how do I ohm out the ground?"

Set the meter to read ohms..It should read 0 when you touch the leads together...That means there is no resistance between the dmm wires,,,It may also 'beep' depending on your meter..
So disconnect the amps ground wire and put one lead of the dmm on the wire, the other lead to any bare metal around. The meter will now give a reading. It should be close to 0..
With the meter still set to ohms..probe each sub terminal, like black to neg, red to pos.. The meter should read approximatly what the subs coils are +/- a few decimals..if the sub is dual 4 ohm..you should read between say ~3.5-4.5 ohms on each coil..
Gl...

Upload

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 763
Thank you all so very much. I knew I could depend on my e family to come through. I believe that it is a sub wiring problem as I unhooked the subs and it did not go into protection. So, I am going to try changing the way it is wired. I used to have the sub to sub wires like this: Upload
Upload
With this:
Upload
Now I am going to take some 16 gauge wire and put it in the cover of the bannana plugs that have 10 gauge in them. Like this:
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
UploadUpload
Upload

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 764
Okay, so I did the above and it didn't help. It is going into protection mode as soon as the volume is turned up. So, I decided to dmm the speaker wires. When the amp is off they read about 1 ohm, but when it is on they read in this range:
Upload
Upload
Upload

Gold Member

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3497
though it makes connections easier i'd ditch the banana plugs and terminal rings.. just adds unnecessary resistance.

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 765
I already did away with the ring terminals. I use the bannana plugs because the wire is too big to fit in the terminals.

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

Crescendo Audio FTMFW!!!, AA Havoc 15 ... Your Mom FTW!!!

Post Number: 3493
I would use the same gauge wire and do away with the banana plugs completely. If the 10gauge is too thick to fit in the terminals,just trim it so it fits. It wont effect anything,it will still be 10 gauge. BTW I think 10 is a little overkill but thats just me lol.

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 766
Okay, so let's just say this, I kept having to fix my rearview mirror! Yes, the problem is fixed. Must have been the way the subs were wired. Eric, I did away with all of them now, thanks for all of your help.

Gold Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 1228
A vid perhaps?

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 767
Very soon! I promise!

Gold Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 2062
sounds like the same thing i did the first time i ever wired a DVC sub. so are you happy with all the parts we made you get? lol. also hows that 4 chan i gave you holding up?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us