Two 12" Subs

Bronze Member
Username: Stripes

Nebraska United States

Post Number: 17
I'm trying to decide on what pair of 12" subs to get. I was thinking some Kicker CompVR 07 edition first.
Link : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000N8MW8W

But then got to looking at some Alpine SWR-1223D.
Link : http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-SWR-1223D-Dual-Type-R-Subwoofer/dp/tech-data/B003KEI4D8

The alpine's are twice the price and I don't see why they'd be worth it? (Assuming they are 300 watts per voice coil compared to 200 watts for kicker). I'm willing to pay about $140 per sub max. (meaning open for other sub suggestions). I'd like a good brand, such as Alpine or Kicker...etc. I like a little more base over quality, so no SQ subs. My box is custom, ported, and about 2.0CF per sub. (built specifically for two Kicker CompVR's at the time.)

Thanks for suggestions!

Silver Member
Username: Alonzoub

Post Number: 189
If you already have a custom built ported box for the CompVR's and you don't care about SQ, The CompVR's are for you.

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

TX

Post Number: 2264
what is your box tuned to? The Alpines have the ability to take more power than the comp vrs while maintaining better SQ. the Type-R is an all around better sub, but thtats why it costs more.

Username: Trinitunerz

Post Number: 2
im rockin cvr's right now and im upgrading soon when you get them you'll be satisfied for a couple of months then your gonna want to upgrade like me so far ive had 3 sets of subs so dont make my mistake save up and buy top of the line the first time like DD 9512 or DC lv5 but check sonic electronics for cvr's
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9347_2-Pack-of-Kicker-CVR124-07CVR124-CVR12- Dual-4-ohm.html

Silver Member

Post Number: 190
Lol DD9500 series and DC lvl 5 are not for everyone. You are talking about a huge investment there.

Malib00tay is right though, the Type R is a better sub all around then CVR, but if you just want to get loud with zero SQ, no need to spend the extra bills.

Post Number: 5
lol yeah your right those are some heafty subs and they have the price to match but i however something like AQ hdc3 12'' would give you quite a bang for your buck and there a hell of a lot cheaper than dd or DC

Bronze Member

Nebraska United States

Post Number: 18
I am not willing to spend over really much if any over $125. I have the money to, but have better things to worry about. Also, I may have to end up going less than $125 depending on the costs of a new alternator, wiring, amp for front since my head unit doesn't have any hi/lo pass filters...etc.

But any who, you guys would say the Alpine Type R's are worth the extra $70 each?

Post Number: 7
yeah for sure Alpines are deff worth the extra 70, you wont be disappointed

Bronze Member

Nebraska United States

Post Number: 19
What kind of AMP would I be needing to look at to power two of those Alpines I listed? Like a 2Ohm 1200RMS amp? 600 per sub, 300 per coil?

Post Number: 8
if your going to be playing it daily on music 2 ohms is perfect enough resistance so the bass sounds great but no to much resistance to damping the bass so you get the best of both worlds so to speak lol
also are u gonna use a monoblock amp or a 2 channel amp?if ur doing monoblock check this: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_18609_Kenwood-eXcelon-X1200M.html

Bronze Member

Nebraska United States

Post Number: 20
Playing mostly daily, so needs to be durable to heat. Won't be getting maxed out for long periods of times though. Prefer it to be a LOT less than that amp for price though. :/ I was hoping around 200 or so? If possible...

Post Number: 9
lol yeah i feel you, take a look at this :http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_37803_Power-Acoustik-D1-3000D.html or if that brand is not agreeing with you there this :http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_22702_Hifonics-HFi2000D.html yeah its a little more than you wanted cuz its a cleaner signal and clean power its worth the extra bucks it has great heat dissipation and yeah its a little more that 1200 rms but just turn your gain down a you'll be fine

Bronze Member

Nebraska United States

Post Number: 21
Hey both of those look decent priced. The Power Acoustik seems like it may be too cheap though? I'm not sure if it's worth losing $150 or losing $80 for the other amp if this one were to go out? Then again would I have a warranty program?

Post Number: 10
power acoustik is a cheaper amp and if you get alpines you wanna feed it clean power so if i was you id spend the extra cash and go for the hifonics but thats just my opinion and yeah you have warranty on both

Silver Member

Post Number: 192
Both of those amps are over-rated, especially the power acoustik.

If I were in your situation, I would switch from a dual 2-ohm sub, to a dual 4-ohm sub. That way you could buy a less expensive 1-ohm stable amp that WILL do rated power.

Here is the Alpine Type-R 12 v2 for $130 shipped http://www.buy.com/prod/alpine-type-r-swr-1242d-subwoofer-500w-rms-1500w-pmpo-al pine-type-r/q/sellerid/14729380/loc/111/203025600.html

Now you only need 1000 wRMS into a 1-ohm load. Hifonics BRZ 1200D http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_23548_Hifonics-Brutus-BRZ1200.1D.html. This is Hifonics higher end amp that will actually do rated power.

$130*2 + $210 = $470

As apposed to what you were going to buy. Each sub was $120 +$35 s&h and the HFI amp is $230

($120 + $35)*2 + $230 = $540

Just saved $70 and got a decent amp.

Silver Member

Post Number: 193
Links:
Alpine Type-R 12 v2 for $130 shipped http://www.buy.com/prod/alpine-type-r-swr-1242d-subwoofer-500w-rms-1500w-pmpo-al %20pine-type-r/q/sellerid/14729380/loc/111/203025600.html

Hifonics BRZ 1200D http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_23548_Hifonics-Brutus-BRZ1200.1D.html

Bronze Member

Nebraska United States

Post Number: 22
Hmm. Well that's different. Hahah. Never heard of buy.com though. Those alpines, the specs look different? The RMS on them says 500. So does that mean they are really only 250 watts compared to the 300 watts per coil on the other ones? I figured I would get better power with 2 ohms versus the 4 ohms, but my brother was saying something about two 4 ohm subs on a 1ohm stable amp...but then he went off on how 1 ohm stable amps are too expensive. Anyone have more input on alonzoub's theory for me, and the specs of the Alpines Version 2's?

EDIT:
I discovered the version two subs are 50 watts less than the ones I was looking at. Would I really be better off with less watts, and more resistance?

Silver Member

Post Number: 194
The nominal impedance of the coils is only important (for beginners anyway) when finding a matching amplifier. You can wire two 4-ohm DVC subs to get a final load of 1-ohm... like so: Upload

Versus your other option of two 2-ohm DVC subs wired to a final load of 2-ohms. Upload

So for the 1st wiring diagram (two 4-ohm DVC) you would need to find an amp that puts out ~1000 wRMS into a 1-ohm load. For the 2nd wiring diagram (two 2-ohm DVC) you would look for an amp that puts out ~1000 wRMS into a 2-ohm load.

Side note: you will notice no difference between 1000 wRMS system and 1200 wRMS system.

Silver Member
Username: Makinblak

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 644
First of all, quit stating how much wrms each coil can take. Its retarded. Just speak of the whole sub and its rms value. Never its max. Yes, if u get 2 subs, u will want to wire it down to 1 ohm. U can do dis with 2 d4 subs. Do some reading up on it...u can either run em parallel or in series. Series doubles resistance, parallel halves it. Parallel d4 subs = each sub halved = 2 ohm. Run both subs parallel together halves again = 1 ohm.

Someone plz give him a good link for this

Yes, get a mono block 1 ohm stable class d amp. Louder, cleaner, efficienter. U should not require another alt for <1200 wrms unless urs is just toast.

Gold Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 1226
I totally agree with alonzo,go with what he suggested. Its going to save you some cash and its not a bad setup at all for the money. Now id say save up a tad more and get a better amp maybe,but if thats what you got for a budget then....

Bronze Member

Nebraska United States

Post Number: 23
Alrighty, I'll follow alonzoub's advice. Thanks.

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 646
I concurr

Gold Member

TX

Post Number: 2265
What type of vehicle to you drive?

I wouldnt buy Hifonics or PowerAcoustik anything. if it doesnt produce what it advertises then why get it? Your budget may restrict you from getting a high end amp but that doesnt mean you have to go purchase a low quality amp. If you are willing to buy a used amp then there are PLENTY of QUALITY options in that price/power range.

The decision to go with the Type-Rs is a great one, better in every aspect than the Kickers. However, please take in count the cost of a custom enclosure. The installation of the speaker is more important that the speaker itself. Example, friend of mine has a high end SQ sub in some P.O.S. store bought ported box (who even knows what its tuned to?) and he's pissed cause it sounds like CRAP! INSTALL IS VERY IMPORTANT!

Many members on this site will be willing to help you with a box design, or even for a few $$$ will design a cut out sheet for you to build your own, It doesnt take too much time or effort and will sound a TON better than some prefabricated box bought at BestBuy or whatever. 4-4.5cubes @32-35Hz is a great box for the Type-Rs, the lower the tuning = better lows while sacrificing the higher notes and vice versa (higher tuning = sacrificing lower notes).

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 649
Hiifonics is a good budget amp. Nothing wrong with having one. Power akoustic......not the worst choice. Just set ur gains properly andd don't strain the amp too hard, and u will enjoy ur music for a good while.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
i agree, hifonics isnt a bad choice, its really good if your on a budget, ive had my hifi 1000d for almost a year and im perfectly content with it

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 650
Also, if u go used, its a crapshoot. Either u will get a good deal and have a quality amp or u will get Pucked and get an amp that doesn't work and u have no more money, no music, no girl, no respect, no fun

Gold Member

TX

Post Number: 2266
^^^highly disagree with going used. there are PLENTY of quality people selling quality equipment. bought a sundown 1200d used, worked flawlessly. also bought 2 15" RE Audio SE's that are still pounding my truck, flawlessly. Many people have MANY references on different sites.

Check our CarAudioClassifieds.Org for an amp. That's where I bought my equipment without being "Pucked" as SlackinMack says...

Silver Member
Username: Dloco486

Post Number: 109
http://cgi.ebay.com/ALPINE-TYPE-R-SWR-1243D-12-CAR-SUBWOOFER-DUAL-4-OHM-/2905821 59462?pt=Car_Subwoofers_Enclosures&hash=item43a80be066 these are the same version of the subs u were lookin at @4ohm dvc for $141 free shipping. i noticed the link u had a shipping charge close to $40. that hifonics brutus 1200 will do rated power @ 14.4 volts but most factory electrical runs @ around 13 so it will run @ a little less. 2 type r's was the system i wanted to get and was going too. but when u got kids and gotta buy a new car things dont always work the way u plan it. im going to get them next tax season though. u should be satisfied ive heard 1 by itself and it's a good sub. and alozoub is right go with 2 4 ohm dvc's and a 1 ohm monoblock

Bronze Member

Nebraska United States

Post Number: 24
Well, Buy.com apparently has only one in stock? I select 2 to update quantity, and nothing happens. Any other places that cheap where I can get a pair?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
check this site http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_25518_Alpine_SWR-1243D.aspx

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 651
check this site

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/topic/10634-used-b-stock-refurbished-am ps-and-misc/
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us