Capacitor

Username: Mackevion

Post Number: 9
i have a quick question...i just installed a 200a fuse which allows my amp more power...i have a 1 farad cap on my system now but everytime i turn it up where the real bass flows my subs cut out...so how can i connect another cap..or should i get a better alternator...i just installed that alternator and have a lifetime warranty that is why i am trying to go against installing a new alternator, but i guess if i have to then i will

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 756
1. A 200A fuse isn't going to let your amp have more power. The amp will only draw what the fuses on the AMP will let it. The only think that a much larger fuse will accomplish is having more chance of starting a fire.
2. If your subs cut out, then you probably need a better alternator. Sorry if this goes against what you want, but it's what you need. The fact that your subs cut out even with a capacitor means that the capacitor is fully drained and the alternator doesn't put out enough current to recharge it. So basically, that's a sign that your alternator can't keep up with the system.

Bronze Member
Username: Suicideshifter

Bristolville, Ohio United States

Post Number: 12
what amp alt is it and how many watts you running? just curious

Bronze Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 36
It almost sounds that its your amp, when your subs cut out is yoru amp EXTREMLY hot? Also are you doing this while drive or your car on sitting in the driveway or just with the battery on so the radio works...this may be the problem as well. You could just have a highly ineffiecient amp...

Silver Member
Username: Davids2004

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 314
Time for a HO alternator.

Post Number: 10
the alt is the regular factory alt...the amp is a 1400 boss...which is probably my problem...my bass cuts out whether i'm driving or sitting still just using the battery...my amp really doesnt get all that hot because it has a fan...so if u think it's the amp please suggest one for me...my system is 1200 watts...or if u suggest an alt then which one should i role with...i was looking at a RF but didnt know which line to use

Bronze Member
Username: Markd

UK

Post Number: 15
a boss 1400 watt amp probably puts out about 250 watts rms(check their website out http://www.bossaudio.com/products/amplifier_powerdrive.htm#specs), whereas an expensive amp rated at 1000w, will put out 1000w rms. as a rough guide, you can work out how much power the amp is designed to put out by looking at the fuse(the one that came with the amp). if it only has one 30 amp fuse, power is given by volts times amps. at 14 volts times 30 that gives 420 watts, assuming about 50% efficiency(unless its class d which is more like 80%), that leaves 210 watts actually going to your sub. putting in a bigger fuse won't do any good at all, in fact its a very bad idea. the fuse is there for a reason - its a deliberate weak link in the circuit, so if anything goes wrong with the amp, the fuse blows before the amp frys. by putting a bigger fuse on the amp, youre risking melting your amp and catching your car on fire.

Bronze Member
Username: Southernrebel

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 87
that boss r1400d amp only has a 40A fuse, that means that you MAY get about 450 watts RMS from it.....that is a big MAYBE on that one too!!!

by the way, dont put anything bigger than a 40A in the amp itself!!! ((((FIRE!!!)))

i have worked w/ that amp before...the amp is just a cheap amp...sorry man...but i have put a JBL BP600.1 one the same sub that had a R1400D amp and the JBL blew it out the water...

your best bet is a new amp, you wont beleive the difference in the boss and a good amp (JBL, Kicker, some Rockford, MTX, JL)...also you may what to look into a new alt aswell...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
ok, let me clear up a few things....i have a 200a fuse running from my battery to my power wire which is supplying my cap and amp...i know that putting a larger fuse into a lower fuse's place isnt a good idea (fire) and the boss amp is a rev-985 1,400w 350x4ch...so i figure that i'll probably go with a rockford...i already know how they knock, but do u think the new audiobahn amps are pretty good...and also where can i find out info on the RE subs...is it true that they're the next big thing...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
after re-evaluating my system, i realized that it is my alternator that is not producing the power that i need...so can anyone give me a good site of where i can get a top notch alternator...
also, i recently got a new crossover...before i got the crossover my old mtx, allowed me to get a spectrum of bass including highs and lows.....now, with my power accostik my bass doesnt kick in unless it's extreme lows...when comparing the mtx and power accoustik they have the same settinigs as far as db's...the only difference is that the mtx had inputs for for highs and lows only where as the accostik has highs, mids and lows...

Silver Member
Username: Davids2004

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 371
check out www.mralternator.com

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
so should is it ok that i go with a 160amp alt or do i need a 200 amp...sorry about alll the questions i''m just trying to get my system back to tip top condition
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us