1200-1500wrms @2ohm

Gold Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 1218
Need some suggestions on an amp guys. New or used if someone has something or knows somebody that does. Budget of around $300. Need something that does 1200wrms @2ohm. Ive been looking around and nothings really standing out to me. Looked at a couple jbl amps,alpine,kicker,etc. Thoughts/suggestions are appreciated.

Btw,this will be needed to power a pair of 12'' epics

Silver Member
Username: Alonzoub

Post Number: 182
Looking at these clamp tests done on the new Crescendo Audio Bass Clef amps

Upload
http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae4/CrescendoAudio/CLAMP42111.png

Looks to me like the BC2000 should do 1200 watts on 2-ohm reactive load. I know they were $299.99 shipped during the pre-sale, but now that they are in stock (you have to call Crescendo to order them) I think the price went up to $330. That's really all I can think of for a new amp.

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3479
you're in luck

i have a clarion dpx11551 on hand bnib. 1550wrms @ 2ohm. solid amp packed with features. Robert Zeff design. tried posting a link but it won't work. model # comes right up on google.

i didn't plan on getting rid of it for possible future installs but my next setup is becoming quite expensive. at least this may pay for a battery haha. pm me if you want to work something out.

Silver Member
Username: Makinblak

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 637
So it looks like crescendos only do rated @ .25 ohms. I wonder if they can handle that load for long?

Silver Member

Post Number: 184
They do rated at the impedance claimed. Look under calculated impedance. For example for the BC2000 at 1-ohm, due to box rise the impedance is actually 3.62-ohms, and its still putting out over 1kW. It is safe to say this box rise is due to the box design and the frequency used during the clamp test, you won't have that much rise throughout the entire frequency range. Im sure the amp can't handle a .25-ohm load on music for very long.

Anyway, that Clarion looks like a good amp too.

Gold Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 1219
I remember back when crutchfield had that sale on those clarions. I wish i would have bought a couple then. What do you want shipped for it Eric(15010)?

I wanted to buy an aq2200,but they just couldnt wait till i bought one to raise there dam prices! Kinda pisses me off,prices went down on there subs but up on there amps. Anyway.... BC2000 maybe what i end up goin with here though. Gonna wait a couple days and see what else pops up.

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3484
pm'd

Gold Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 1222
Didnt get it. Email.... jbbpitt@hotmail.com

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

Crescendo Audio FTMFW!!!, AA Havoc 15 ... Your Mom FTW!!!

Post Number: 3460
Clarion amps are pretty nice IMO. I had,well I still have a DPX2250 2 channel. It was a great little amp but one of the channels pooped out on me a few months ago. I opened it up and nothing was burnt/blown it was just a little copper bar that came loose one one side. All I need is a soldering iron and it will be a 2 min fix. Anyways I liked the Clarion and will probably use it again once I fix it. Most,if not all Clarion amps are CEA rated so you know they'll do rated power.

That being said,I would choose the Crescendo over the Clarion. I have no personal experience with Crescendo amps but I have heard nothing but great reviews on them. I have a set of Crescendo components and they are built very well so I would assume their amps are built well too. I would love to have a matching Crescendo mono and 4 channel and another set of Crescendo comps! That would be my ideal setup. Plus the preformance vs. price is almost unbeatable.

You really cant go wrong with the Clarion or the Crescendo but my vote goes to Crescendo! And heres something to make your decision a little tougher lol

http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-GTO14001-1500W-RMS-Monoblock-Amplifier-Brand-New-/280701 580132?pt=Car_Amplifiers&hash=item415b1e3364

JBL amps are by far my all time fav. amps! Its a little over budget but I think its worth every penny.

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

Crescendo Audio FTMFW!!!, AA Havoc 15 ... Your Mom FTW!!!

Post Number: 3461
Actually I just seen this on the bay

http://cgi.ebay.com/jbl-bpx-2200-1-2250-rms-watts-nice-amp-/260808629997?pt=Car_ Amplifiers&hash=item3cb967deed

If I were you I would jump on this. Its a great deal for a GREAT amp. Engineered by Crown and these amps are just beasts! And sound awesome too!

Gold Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 1223
Learning more an more toward the BC2000. Plus it would be nice to have that head room should i ever upgrade down the road.

That bpx2200 is a BEAST! lol Ive always like JBL gear myself. Found this on caco.
http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/forum/mono-amplifiers/90137-fs-jbl-bp1200-1-1 -ohm-stable-cheap.html

Anybody ever use one of these? Ive always heard good things about them.

The gto1400.1 is a class ab amp. What kind of difference would i notice if any compared to a class d amp?

Silver Member

Post Number: 188
Ive never dealt with JBL but that looks like a great deal on 1200 RMS @ 2-ohms.

I personally run an AQ2200D at 2-ohms, love it. I would recommend it if they hadn't raised their prices. And then Crescendo released the Bass Clef series within a cpl weeks of AQ's price jump... so...

As far as Class D vs Class AB, lots argue about Class AB's sound quality, but honestly Class D has come so far at the sub-stage I would argue that the sound quality is equivalent. And of course class D trumps AB in efficiency.

Upload

Your talking around 450-750 watts (depending on the model of the efficiency of that particular amp) less power draw from your electrical system when running a Class D amp vs Class AB each outputting 1200 wRMS.

Gold Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 1231
Does anybody now where i could find some kind of in-line ssf? I know the make them,but for some reason i cant find any....thanks

Silver Member
Username: Denim

SSAudio.com, MD USA

Post Number: 928
And you want to be my laytex salesman?

Gold Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 1236
lol right... My thing is more import/export. I import diapers and export potato chips.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us