How to physically wire up a subwoofer? Please help

Bronze Member
Username: Bdonkersgoed

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 16
Hey everyone,

I have just placed my order for the following:

- Alpine MRD-M301 350W @ 2ohms RMS monoblock AccuClass D Amplifier
- 10" Alpine Dual Voice Coil @ 4ohms Type R Sub (SWR-1041D)

Now, this is kind of embarassing question. Anyways, I have a ported box that my old crappy 10" Sony Xplod is in (SVC) and I want to put the new Alpine sub in that box instead. I have seen wiring diagrams, but I am not sure how to physically wire a sub into a box. Like, what kind of wiring do you use? I believe I am going to be hooking up the DVC Alpine sub in parallel to the monoblock Alpine amp for maximum output.

Can any gurus please help me out, or direct me to some useful websites?

Thanks a tonne!
Bryan

Bronze Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 34
at the end of wiring the sub outside of the box in Parallel if you do it correctly you will end up with a positive and a negitive wire, when wiring make sure you'll have enough wire to reach from the sub to the back of the box. In the back of the box htere should be a speaker terminal, you connect the positive wire to the red side (see colors on the outside of the box) and the Negative wire to the black, connect another wire from the possitive of the box to the positive on your amp, and same with negative to there corrosponding parts. If this is too confusing, take it and have it professsionally done, 1 wrong wire can potentially destroy your sub. As for wire to use, I personally use 12 Guage speaker wire but i am running alot more then 300 watts so something like 14 or 16 guage may be all you need.

Bronze Member
Username: Loudnobnoxious

Post Number: 37
www.jlaudio.com

go to tutorials.

then go to wiring your subs.

NO NEED in reading the above post, go to this site.

no offense to jeff loughrey, theres just no need to read all that.

Bronze Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 19
Thanks for the website chief :-) Very helpful!

And thanks Jeff for the detailed explanation. I wasn't sure about the speaker wire, so that is good to know. I'll definitely do this myself . . . it isn't really hard. But now, does it matter if I use 8ga wire instead of a higher guage? Is there a disadvantage to using thicker wire if it isn't really needed? I don't mind paying the extra for thicker wire . . .

Thanks!
Bryan

Bronze Member

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 35
You dont need 8ga wire to wire the sub, i dont think that the coil terminals will even accept the 8ga wire. 8 ga is a good sized wire, something that low is usualy used as a power wire from you battery to you amp. I'm running 4ga wire from batt to amp. But basically what it comes down to, you dont need 8ga wire wiring your sub, the terminal probably wont accept it as well as your amp channel might not like it too much either.

Bronze Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 20
Thanks Jeff,

I've got 4ga wire running from my battery to the amp as well. Do you think it would be goo if I used 12ga wire like you, or do you think it would be better for the system if I used a thinner wire?

Thanks!
Bryan

Bronze Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 21
Should I use 12ga speaker wire inside the box guys?

Thanks!
Bryan

Username: Mooseman

Dundalk, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1
hey this is a new question for anyone i was just wondering i have 2 12" rockford fosgate subs and 2 4" speakers plus 2 6 1/2" speakers i was wondering how and if i could hook it all up to my 900 watt rockford fosgate amp it is only one channel?

Bronze Member

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 67
...i wouldn't reccomend doing that...run the subs to that amp, if you have aftermarket speakers get a 2nd amp that will them, i wouldn't amp factory speakers...i doubt that they'd hangle it too well
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us