Alpine MRD-M501 amp and subs . . . please help!

Username: Bdonkersgoed

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4
Hey Audiophiles!

A guy is locally selling a pair of 12" Dual Voice Coil Alpine Type Rs in an Alpine box (300W RMS each). I have have enough money to buy this and a brand new Alpine AccuClass D MRD-M501 monoblock amplifier (550W RMS at 2ohms).

Now my question . . . what do I want the subs to be . . . 4 ohms or 2ohms? Could I safely get a 2 ohm load on the amplifier (and hence maximize its efficiency at 275W RMS at each sub) whether the subs are 2 ohms or 4 ohms by wiring them differently?

I can get the subs, box, and amp altogether for about $450US including taxes and everything . . .

Please let me know what you guys think!

Here is a pic of the subs:
Upload

And here is a pic of the amp:
Upload

Thanks!
Bryan

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 5
Please remember . . . the subs are Dual Voice Coil!

Thanks!
Bryan

Silver Member
Username: Grmncrsnbr

VA

Post Number: 180
you want the subs to be 2ohms per voice coil. that way you can series wire the coils and parellel the subs giving you the 2 ohm load you need.

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 6
Thanks,

But if they happen to be 4ohm DVCs, is it still possible to safely get a 2 ohm load (without sacrificing quality)?

The Ebay ad for the subs doesn't list whether they are 4ohm or 2ohm. I think the 2ohm DVCs are new this year, so I am guessing that they are 4ohms.

I have emailed the seller and am waiting for a reply.

Please let me know if this is still doable if the subs are 4ohms DVC . . .

Thanks!
Bryan

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 8
Please please please! If anyone can help me, I would REALLY appreciate it! The auction on the subs ends VERY soon!

Is it possible to hook up 2 DVC 4ohm subs to a mono amp and still have a 2ohm load on the amp?

Thanks!
Bryan

Silver Member
Username: Davids2004

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 262
I answered your question in your other post. If you want two subs for a two ohm load you will need a dvc 2 ohm sub.

Bronze Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 14
Thanks everyone for your help. I didn't get these subs. Instead, I am sticking with my original plan:

- Alpine MRD-M301 amp
- Alpine 4ohm DVC 10" Type R sub

Thanks!
Bryan
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us